What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is possible to be too warm and sunny for a funeral. People about had heat stroke at some funerals during the summer. Speaking of summer, I know its coming up so I need to get my hair cut. Thinking of just getting it all chopped off. I've found the only thing that makes a funeral better is to not have them. :p
I just remembered a show/documentary about a young man who had a condition where his skin sloughed off. He was planning his funeral and saying he wanted a can of baked beans printed on the coffin. Why? Just so people would look at it and ask "Why is there a can of baked beans there?" He had a great sense of humor about it. Poor thing died during filming. They thought he was asleep at first. I think it was something like The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off. Tragic and depressing, but he was a good sport. Speaking of tragic and depressing, at the vet today there was a woman who brought her little dog in to have him put down. I felt terrible for her and the dog. The dog turned and looked at her and I could see how heartbroken she was when she was talking to the dog. If my dog had looked at me like that, I wouldn't have been able to go through with it. She was trying so hard not to cry and I wanted to cry for her. At least the last time I had a dog put down the dog couldn't even lift her head. She had completely given up on life. It's not something I ever want to do again.

Highup, is the blowgun to drive metal nails or spikes into concrete?

Got up early and took my cat, Lady Sylvanas, to the vet because of a lump on her chest. I was worried it was cancer but knew it could be an abscess. Wanted it treated nonetheless. It was the latter thankfully. She had puncture marks from being bitten by another cat. Vet drained it a bit and then gave her antibiotics. Said to watch it and make sure it doesn't change colors and to clean it if it ruptures/leaks. Cat weighs 13lbs. She's a bit on the conky side.

Fippy just came in and is licking my feet. No idea why. He doesn't normally lick me but he's in lick mode now. LOL.

Anyway, after the vet's office I grabbed McDonalds (bc Mom called to request it). I took out all the full trash bags in the house and cleaned the litterboxes. I'll need a new box of litter soon. Broke up cat fights. Tried to troubleshoot AC. I turned it back on after it being off for hours and the compressor didn't kick on. I went outside to confirm that it was still and silent. Went back in and turned the breakers off and then on again. Waited for thermostat to reboot and then tried turning it to Cool. It said "Waiting for equipment". Pulled the thermostat off and checked the wires, then put it back on tightly. Waited for it to reboot and then waited a few minutes longer before setting it to cool. That time the compressor did come on. Inside fan came on for a few seconds then off. Repeated that. I checked to see the outside unit was running but something is wrong with the inside. Someone suggested a run capacitor is bad. Not sure how to troubleshoot. I don't even know how to take the panels off of either unit. At least it was cool today so it wasn't so bad and I even hauled some trash out to the burn pile.

Boo, my oldest cat, just came running in, slid across my desk, and then pivoted and climbed on me.

Here's today's job...... No drawing today, actual on my knees work. I'm bringing a box of tackstrip and the Koolglide because the furnace register holes are probably moving 6 inches.
Manufactured home, original carpet. 😱

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 0
The other room was over 13 feet wide by around 16 feet long. I stretched almost as tall as the base along the entire 16 feet.
I doubled the strip along the stretched-to walls.
The backing wasn't delaminated. Maybe it stretched this much because it was weakened because it wasn't stretched tight originally..
Modular home with modular factory carpet..... no seaming except for one side the two heater vents.

Attachments

• IMG_20240319_134815956.jpg
    IMG_20240319_134815956.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Hi did the mobile home already have tackless down? If so I would think the carpet had already been replace as we always had to cut the carpet away at the wall line because they built the walls on top of the carpet. All the flooring was done on a flatbed trailer before any walls were installed. The damned staple line was right where you had to cut it.

Hi did the mobile home already have tackless down? If so I would think the carpet had already been replace as we always had to cut the carpet away at the wall line because they built the walls on top of the carpet. All the flooring was done on a flatbed trailer before any walls were installed. The damned staple line was right where you had to cut it.
It's a manufactured home. Set up and installed by locals. The pad and strip are the same kind sold at the place I've worked out of. I'm all my years, I've seen walls set on carpet literally, a few times, always 12 single wides.
Nope, just someone that had a bad teacher or didn't care. The backing looked to be good, so it wasn't the carpets fault.

Well, popped back over to my now an then job.
She called and had an electrician install some neato heating panels in each room and the hallway. Once done the sheetrock had to be repaired and a new piece of 1x8 base was stained and installed.
It's one busy upstairs hallway. 4 bedroom doorway seams, a walk in close, a bathroom doorway, over the top step and around the railing. Took a while to commit to a stretching sequence.
The longest straight wall was my initial thought, but I decided length first so I could get around the stair railing, do the two bedroom doorways on that side of the hall, then stretch away from the railing.
From there, pretty much a 4 way type stretch....... plus 8 or 10 more. 😁
When completed, it's gonna be tight and it's gonna be even.

Here's the heaters. They're sorta baseboard heaters but radiant also. I like em.
When you turn them on, the warmth is almost immediate. If they stay on, I'm not so sure of the cost savings. The cost savings are probably great for temporary heat, like if you heat the upstairs once in a while. It's a 3rd home, the one the lady grew up in. It's not used very often.

Attachments

• IMG_20240314_130618084.jpg
    IMG_20240314_130618084.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240314_130552687.jpg
    IMG_20240314_130552687.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240314_130606145.jpg
    IMG_20240314_130606145.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here's the hallway with the 14 way stretch.
...a little here, a little there, the reverse and do the same the opposite direction, then the end stretch....
....then rinse and repeat at the other end of the hall. Initial stretches have been done and one doorway completed. Yay! 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20240320_163012506_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240320_163012506_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240320_163036686.jpg
    IMG_20240320_163036686.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240320_163059141.jpg
    IMG_20240320_163059141.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240320_163117509_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240320_163117509_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I see you masked off some baseboard so they don’t get scuffed. I used to get so pissed when some GC would mask off the baseboards with that paper masking and then would expect me to not scratch or scuff a single board. Thing that pissed me off was the masking always got ripped off the walls while I was positioning the carpet. Then I had to waste my time taping it back up and blah blah blah.

Don’t t have to deal with that anymore but now I get to install floating floors in trailers. Some RV toilets have to sit flat on the floor (flange), no double wax ringing these baby’s. So now I gotta install the floor around the flange, set the toilet on top of the floor and trace around it. Uninstall it, cut it out then reinstall it all over again. If you do I nicely all you need is a clean bead of clear silicone to finish it off after you set the toilet back down inside. Get told the next day that there’s a new toilet going in there. Dang it, Jim, I used Titebond and glued them planks together when I installed it. This is gonna be fun without the paper masking. lol.

IMG_4137.jpeg

It some heavy ass paper, not the painters stuff. A friend told me is mom wanted to dispose of a roll of paper. The roll is about 6 1/2 feet tall. It was hard to lift it. Great for floor protection. This was the new piece of base. It's kinda the show piece of the hallway, especially so being a really nice piece of stained and finished fir.
I'm not scratchin' it. Everything else, but not that one. 😁
You could have used Lexel around that toilet... so count your blessings. 😂

I hadn’t gotten to the point of caulking the toilet yet so no biggie there. I do like Lexel. That stuff is awesome and it will stick to itself, try that with silicone. Dap Ultra is just as good if you’re shopping at the other store.

For a second I was gonna squawk about the price but a tube of silicone is just as much😳

Latest posts

Back