What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an American made sears belt sander still works great

I love my good old 1950s tools
I didn't know the rollers had tires. Mine are bare steel. I'm trying to come up with a product to make some. Looks like the rubber needs to be 1/4 inch thick. Without the tires, the belt has to ramp up to the table from the drive roller, then ramp down to the top roller. There's a ramp worn into the cast iron on both ends of the table. I think this is creating a lot of drag, and making the motor work harder. 1 hp isn't as powerful as I thought.
I'm thinking that fitting two layers of 6" base, adhered with contact cement, might be enough thickness for the rollers.
Multiple strips of automotive serpentine belt might work too, but that might be a bit on the spendy side.

Flooring on the side of the staircase? That's neat. Must be a pita to install that way. Looks good though.

Had a nap but am still tired. Neck is sore. Hips are hurting. Earlier when I tried to start napping Gravy Jones was hollering in the kitchen. Boo came and stomped on my head to let me know he was hungry so I got up and fed the kitties. After eating, Senator Snugglebum was hollering in the kitchen. When the paramedics were here, Gravy Jones was on top of a chest of drawers at almost face level with our friend. He was hollering in the friend's face to get attention. He's a very loud cat.

Poor little dog Fippy is missing Mom and let himself in to the living room to sit in her chair. I had to let him out a few minutes ago. It's an inswing door with a spring so he can push to get in but can't pull it back open to get out.

20+yr old freezer was making awful noises and not cooling as well. Bro said he saw ice on some vents inside at the back. I lent him my demo tool (hammer/prybar/boardgrabber combo) and he broke the ice. It's no longer making the noises and is working better again.
Prybars and hammers are a couple of the best DIY tools. 😁 Feels nice when you try to fix something and it actually works. 👍

Last edited:
Found these when swatting the dust off an old overnight bag that I took camping back in my photography days. I'm guessing these are over 20 years old.... Maybe 25? They clip on your glasses.
I flipped the switch and one light turned on 😳
....very dim, but holy crap, those lithiums last.

Attachments

• IMG_20240421_004223816.jpg
    IMG_20240421_004223816.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240421_004339090.jpg
    IMG_20240421_004339090.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240421_004448073.jpg
    IMG_20240421_004448073.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 0
My belt sander is operational, but more needs to be done. Our local steel supply place to my surprise had some 5/8" machined 1045 steel.
I don't know if it needs to be hardened. If so, I have friends with more heat than my propane torch to make it happen.
The shaft on the drive roller is worn quite a bit and the bushings aren't perfect. The new shaft works great, but it needs some Hippy machine work performed to create some flats...... Note the set screws on the steel roller. The pulley needs a flat also.
....to be continued. 😉

Attachments

• IMG_20240421_180320221.jpg
    IMG_20240421_180320221.jpg
    702.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240421_181959972.jpg
    IMG_20240421_181959972.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240421_181854393.jpg
    IMG_20240421_181854393.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240421_180355560.jpg
    IMG_20240421_180355560.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240421_180329103.jpg
    IMG_20240421_180329103.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240421_181826613.jpg
    IMG_20240421_181826613.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
....continued. 😁
I haven't designed a sliding bed yet. It my need a fence too, to keep the work piece steady for consistency.
I also need to devise an adjustment screw or wedge to lower the wheel in small increments.
The plywood base may be temporary. It may be hokey for machine work.... I'll find out.
Regardless, it will make a cute little chop saw.
Pushing the work into the blade meant the sparks will be flying towards me. I'll need some sort of clear plastic or glass as a shield.
I bedded the grinder body onto a 1x2 steel tube using JB Weld., so it locks in place without rocking at all.
I can lift the grinder off, flip it over and make another base to reverse the blade direction of the blade if this ends up working and becomes useful. Fun weekend project.

Attachments

• IMG_20240421_175907980.jpg
    IMG_20240421_175907980.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240421_175826589.jpg
    IMG_20240421_175826589.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240421_180119801.jpg
    IMG_20240421_180119801.jpg
    775.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240421_180015023.jpg
    IMG_20240421_180015023.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240421_175803071.jpg
    IMG_20240421_175803071.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240421_175940954.jpg
    IMG_20240421_175940954.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Found these when swatting the dust off an old overnight bag that I took camping back in my photography days. I'm guessing these are over 20 years old.... Maybe 25? They clip on your glasses.
I flipped the switch and one light turned on 😳
....very dim, but holy crap, those lithiums last.
I had some of those I actually glued them on to a custom set of magnifiers I made

Neat stuff. Even with the need to be accurate, the end result looks worth it.
They are “pushing” me which infuriates me to no end I hate this staircase more every day. We actually finished this entire building July 4 last year. We finished before all the other trades except the framers, and they have tried to use us as the whippin boy the whole time.
Last week I got into a detached three way with the owner and the architect which ended with her calling the Armstrong rep just to find out she owed me an apology suffice it to say I’m done with them after this

Put a coat of wax on my miter saw wings today. They were still warm from being out in the sun earlier so when I put the wax on it melted and slid around like butter in a hot pan. Nice. I gooped them up good then let it sit for awhile before I buffed them. No pics, you all know what a polished turd looks like😂. Seriously, they look the same as before I waxed them, just cleaner now. I was kinda hoping they would shine up a bit.

I know with wax you have to reapply it frequently but it really doesn’t take that much time to do. Besides that, I didn’t want to spent $70 for a gallon of poly only to end up spending the next couple days spraying it.

They are “pushing” me which infuriates me to no end I hate this staircase more every day. We actually finished this entire building July 4 last year. We finished before all the other trades except the framers, and they have tried to use us as the whippin boy the whole time.
Last week I got into a detached three way with the owner and the architect which ended with her calling the Armstrong rep just to find out she owed me an apology suffice it to say I’m done with them after this
I was working on a commercial job with my brother eons ago
....maybe 3 eons ago. We worked through Christmas because of a deadline. I asked the general why they didn't crack the whip on the concrete guys, the framers and roofers.....
I said, the finish trade at what you see, so is everyone else hurried up, finish trades would be able to spend more time doing better work and not being pushed to cut corners for someone's deadline.
He said that will never happen. If those trades get done faster than expected, the move in date gets moved up too. 😳 Took the wind right out of my naive idea. 🙄

I need to bring my power stretching poles to you guys for some TLC. When the humidity is up, they like to stick more than usual 😡

Hey ! My mid-left back area is screaming 😱 So I’m trying something different. Carry rolls of pad on my left side rather than the right. I also started cutting the pad with my none dominant hand ( left)
Also seam sealing with the left, tool pouch on the left and when I stand up, place the right leg up first…. I’m trying to balance out the spine, but it’s probably too late 😢

A little yellow bird flew inside a new manufactured home I was measuring today. He fluttered then tried to exit a window, fluttered and flew into another, the a wall. It took 5 attempts to grab it. I set in on the porch in the shade and it stayed there for a half hour, not changing position. I even walked past it twice.
After a half hour, I walked by the window to take a measurement and it flew away full speed as if it sustained no permanent injuries.
Nothing heroic, but if he recovered inside, he might have aimed for another window when ready to fly. Not sure what it was. Yellowish with a slender black beak. Maybe a warbler.

Got up at 4 this morning and took my walk. The sky was just starting to show some color about 5ish. Beautiful. I wandered around outside for a bit more while drinking some coffee and watching the morning sky pre sunrise. I don’t care as much after the sun comes up, it’s the twilight hours that are beautiful here. So much color.

Got up at 4 this morning and took my walk. The sky was just starting to show some color about 5ish. Beautiful. I wandered around outside for a bit more while drinking some coffee and watching the morning sky pre sunrise. I don’t care as much after the sun comes up, it’s the twilight hours that are beautiful here. So much color.
Raining here. Supposed to rain until Monday.

I got up at 6 this morning and the temp is 26*, what happened to spring, it is damned cold out.

Latest posts

Back