What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rugaddict, must be quite a job. I hope the nursing home doesn't have that "c.diff" smell. I have a friend who used to work in a nursing home and she said it was pretty nasty-- so many things got spilled on the floors.

Don, that sounds like a ton of work! And it sounds like someone wanted to make sure stuff stayed in place for a long time. I hope the job goes smoothly.

Jon, at least thus far I've been luckier than my friend. In the past few years he's had a tree fall on his house, was nearly killed in a wreck bc the tie rod came off his S10, and had his house burn. He's had multiple problems with vehicles he bought (a couple of them just broke down and weren't worth fixing-- last one was another S10 that had the tie rod break). People have ripped him off and stolen from him. He broke up with his gf that he has a kid with (he finally dumped her after years of her being a complete twunt-- but the most egregious was letting her 6-year-old set the house on fire and she abandoned their 3-year-old daughter in the burning house-- fortunately my friend got the kid out but she has respiratory problems now). He's still being manipulated by her. And he recently found out he has a bone spur in one of his vertebrae that is poking in to his spinal cord. If it continues to grow, it can paralyze him but the doctor's won't try to operate bc they said the surgery could paralyze him. For now it is causing him a lot of pain, but he's still trying to truck on. And yesterday he got a notice in the mail that the jerk neighbor who almost ran him over the day before is a registered sex offender (crime involved juveniles) and the jerk just moved in to an area with several children right next door to him. So, my friend is concerned about that, since his now 4-year-old daughter is there.

On to my brother's situation-- American Airlines had to pay for him to stay in the crappiest hotel they could find. He said the phone didn't work and neither did any of the power outlets. He couldn't charge his phone. He also got a tiny sandwich that cost $12 but the airline had to pay for it. They arranged his next flight for noon the next day (even though there were some earlier flights). I haven't heard from him to find out if he got on the plane ok. It's a long flight so he probably hasn't landed yet (if he got on the flight to begin with).

Jon, at least thus far I've been luckier than my friend. In the past few years he's had a tree fall on his house, was nearly killed in a wreck bc the tie rod came off his S10, and had his house burn. He's had multiple problems with vehicles he bought (a couple of them just broke down and weren't worth fixing-- last one was another S10 that had the tie rod break).

So you're telling me that my battery indicator light randomly coming on and off is the least of my problems. :eek:

So you're telling me that my battery indicator light randomly coming on and off is the least of my problems. :eek:

If you have an S10, I'd wonder about the tie rod. I don't know what it is with the tie rods... My friend had documented proof that the accident he was in was caused by the tie rod coming off, but they scheduled the court date for when he was still recovering and he couldn't make it so he just had to pay the ticket he was given for reckless driving & he has very high insurance rates. although, some insurance companies jack up rates even if people don't have accidents or if the accidents are because of other drivers.

State Farm just called us and wants us to come in on Tuesday to discuss our insurance. They want to jack up the rates to $900 for one vehicle and they want to take away uninsured driver coverage.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the peace and quiet of not having my brother's dog around and not having to clean up after my brother or make constant runs to the grocery store to replace food he keeps eating. And his dog is away too so I don't have that mutt scratching my legs and arms up, tripping me, jumping on me, and generally being a pita. My other dogs are very happy to have him away. Poor things will be disappointed when he comes back.

If you have an S10, I'd wonder about the tie rod. I don't know what it is with the tie rods... My friend had documented proof that the accident he was in was caused by the tie rod coming off, but they
I heard ball joints were an issue too. Not to worry, as it has less than 230,000 miles on it.:truckwash:

I started a whole house re-do of a 3 month old carpet installation. Initially I was asked by the shop to look at and do whatever was needed to make the seams go away......... customer complaint was "we can see the seams"
I looked at the seams and they looked quite good. I told the customer that seams sometimes show a little bit. Not being able to see anything that was actually wrong with them, I told them that there was little I could do, and remaking the seams was no guarantee they would look any better. In re-doing a good seam, there was a chance that they might show even more, so I declined to fix something that was done properly (except no sealer)
The installation was fully guaranteed, so the shop called the customer and offered to replace the carpet if they were not satisfied. ....find that from a box store!
So......... I'm installing the new carpet and I'm crossing my fingers that my seams look better then the last installers seams. (same carpet, different color)
Bad news is it's a Lee's carpet...... I hate their backing. Not enough latex to hold the back together to cut clean seams. The pile is tall, limp and falls into itself......... the kind where you have to dig the soft, limp and kinky strands out of the seam as you make the seam. I also hate these new super soft thin yarns. Wish me luck.
On the bright side, the customers are really nice.

It rained quite a bit over here and a tornado touched down in town. Took the roof off the gas station in the Walmart parking lot-- screwed up Maple St and Oak St and blew branches out of various trees near the center of town. Could have been a lot worse though.

And of course, in keeping up with the spirit of this town, while places were all shut down and Walmart was the only place with lights on, some idiot rolled up in to the parking lot and attempted to steal a riding cart. I was sitting there in my truck with some friends calling around to let people know we were ok and what sort of damage we were seeing. The security cameras from the store were on and about half a dozen employees were at the front door (since the store was closed). Guy just stopped in the middle of the parking lot, jumped out, tried to lift a riding cart (got it up a couple fit) but couldn't lift it high enough to the back of his truck. Dropped it, and then jumped back in his truck and fled. We then proceeded to laugh our butts off at how stupid the guy was. I really really hope loss prevention person makes a recording of that stupidity.

My brother is back from Japan and he brought a respiratory virus back with him. I've been coughing so much I can taste blood. It's not fun.

I returned from a 3 day trip into Central California. We stayed at a bed and breakfast, had a really nice breakfast, went to some of the finest wineries in the world, visited Hearst Castle, and saw elephant seals on the shoreline.

Hearst 14.jpg

Hearst 17.jpg

Hearst 25.jpg

Hearst 6.jpg

Hearst 10.jpg

Hearst 23.jpg

Hearst 2.jpg

Hearst 12.jpg

Hearst 11.jpg

First game was good . hope these teams start hitting from the field .
Ducks game was sabotaged. Opposing team placed Saran Wrap over their basket. No other reason could esplain such crappy shooting .........unless it was just plain old crappy shooting. They made plenty of them. :rolleyes:
On the bright side, that was one hell of a run to get to the Final Four, so it was something they can be very proud of. It's not like they were playing a high school varsity team. Nice finish, just not as nice as some hoped. (dreamed)

Latest posts

Back