What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Republicans believe in Science? Go figure

Considered if I should keep my walk behind self propelled scraper on board last week for unexpected material under a ceramic floor. Well today I paid for the wrong decision. Nafco plank luckily only in foyer and kitchen. @ 14 miles from home wasn’t worth getting timewise, labor was rough.

busted furniture leg awaiting installers to break. Composite deck cupping( unacceptable to me)

picture of dust on furniture prior to our commencing.
That's quite a furniture repair. 😁 Be fun to see that one on antiques roadshow.
"If you had taken this to a furniture restorer instead of trying to fix the leg yourself this chest would be worth $2,500 but in its current condition is worth $50. 😁

Here's one more that speaks about working pressure as opposed to tank pressure. Says that most guns set maximum pressure at 90 lb and that's working pressure not the pressure you set on the dial. This is for 3/8, 1/2-in, 1 in, drive impact guns....... sound like all guns relate to 90 lb as a maximum pressure. So you want 90 lb with maximum volume which means a larger hose. Intelesting, .....velley velley intelesting
You would need an inline pressure gauge closer to your tool to measure the actual working pressure.
https://www.intlairtool.com/blog/how-to-maximize-air-tool-performance-part-1-pressure-flow/

Air hose are kinda like extension cords. Size and length affect performance. A lot of construction guys that have an air compressor mounted in their trailer run a fatter hose into the house then have a ballast tank that they split off individual hoses from. Makes a difference especially if you’re running multiple high draw air tools.

You can also get high flow fittings. I’ve got a couple of the flexzilla air hoses. I like em. They are a 3/8” ID hose and I’ll bet if you put a couple high flow couplers on the hose, your compressor and your tool that you would see a difference.

Last edited:
I never thought of drilling the fittings.
I just measure one of my fittings and it's 3/16 of an inch. 😱
I think I need to upgrade my fittings in my hose. What I have works with my brad nailer and my quarter inch senco stapler....... but wow, that's an awakening.
Thats like using a 40 foot, 16 gauge cord on my edger sander.

My Makita compressor has locations for two hair chucks
I need to upgrade mine and switch one of them to a larger diameter.

Roofers on my house used 4 small (maybe 1/4”)highly flexible hoses on a junky gas Rollie compressor for their nailers, blasting 8 nails per shingle. I have an Edco ALR 5 chisel scaler that needs @ 8 cfm. When I used it years ago the rental center didn’t have one that size. Now they do. My scabblers (3/4” hoses)need 160 cfm 140psi minimum, a tow behind compressor. Avoiding lack of pressure and volume is why we don’t want to get underpowered compressors, $$$ is suppressing my goals.

drilling fitting thinning the wall of piping could be dangerous if the fitting splits apart propelling across a room. I have 1/2 “ hoses that are difficult to find fittings for.

Attachments

• DB553FC6-5333-44A4-B495-76D36EEDCDA7.png
    DB553FC6-5333-44A4-B495-76D36EEDCDA7.png
    287.4 KB · Views: 16
It would be neat if somebody made a shut off valve that you can connect to your compressor. When it senses super high volume like a hose disconnect it would immediately shut off the flow.
They have stuff like that for water systems in homes. Water in homes causes leaks and damage but an air hose whipping around the room at 500 ft per second could actually hurt somebody.

Ones that shut off water flow?

Yep. We had some for our washing machine. We also had one on the dishwasher but that made it not work properly. The repair man came out and switched the supply line to a regular one and told us that the dishwasher pulls too much water too fast and the supply line thought is was a leak and kept shutting the flow off.

Yes, I’ll check my trailer to see if I have 1 left. I looked around for supply lines that don’t have a plastic connector to tank, a no brained to make them of metal but couldn’t find any. One lady thought someone was pressure washing their house late at night only to find the house flooded out when she got up. It had cracked. If there’s too much side pressure when connecting due to length that’s just one reason they break.

Some new houses now have moisture sensors they strategically place, behind a toilet or dishwasher, and if they sense moisture they shut off the flow of water to the whole house. Kinda smart.
If I was building a new house I'd probably go off a deep end and have a sheet metal outfit make a metal pan that will fit on the floor underneath the sink and the dishwasher. The money it is cost people and insurance companies over the years because of a simple leak that couldn't be seen could be easily prevented. Same thing if you had a closet with a washer and dryer. Leave out the underlayment and install a metal pan the same thickness under the appliances.

My brain isn't processing most of the discussion. I saw something about aluminium melting and it had me wondering at what temperature aluminium would sublimate (go directly from solid to gas).

Feeling tired. Since post office was only open between 10am to noon I had to go in to get mail early. Walked through the door with arms full of packages. Cat jumped on top of the packages, slipped, started to fall, and then was hanging from one of the boxes while I tried to shake him loose. I need to go to the grocery store but am not feeling it. The heat sucks and I feel tired.

My train of thought just derailed. LOL.

Latest posts

Back