What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a lot of work for darn near the smallest bit you can get. I have a similar bit for laminate seams. I think using it for what you want to do will heat it up and smoke it. How about a V point bit that is meant to just tickle the surface.

Put Hunter in the kennel today. Gave me a chance to vacuum the upstairs. Got enough hair to grow another beagle! Mopped the kitchen floor too. I used a really cheap 2 mm glue down laminate from Shaw. Surprised how good it looks after 5 years.
My friend who had heart surgery is going camping. A friend is taking him. 5 hour ride. I’m taking a refractor so he can do something.

I have a hate/hate relationship with OSB. I can't stand the stuff. I've heard some flooring installers refuse to install over OSB. There was some home improvement show and the flippers thought they were being clever saving $ by using OSB. Flooring installer said "hell no" to putting stuff over that. Said they needed floor grade plywood installed bc they would not guarantee a job over OSB.

I went to the Chinese restaurant, Samsclub, Walmart, post office, & my friend's house today. Dropped off some Ensure for my friend. He was just about to leave. His gf (yeah, friend is a doormat and has taken her back bc she guilt-tripped him about being pregnant with another guy's kid- AGAIN). He's fully supporting her bc she got fired. His gf was ignoring the baby who was screaming in his high chair covered in food. She's really rough with him when she cleans him off and he squirms and cries and tries to get away. He flinched when I reached my hand near him so I suspect she hits him when no one is around. He was afraid when I got a wet paper towel to clean him up (bc I'm sure his mother was going to leave him like that for hours- which she does when no one is around to watch-- completely neglects him). I showed him that I was only going to wipe gently so he held his hands out and let me clean between his fingers and wipe his face. Then I showed him how to wipe his tray on his high chair down. Since my friend is at work I'm certain the baby will spend the next several hours in that high chair while his mother ignores him. She will go out on the porch to smoke or go into the bedroom, shut the door, and play on her phone. Some people should not have kids.

Ear is itching like crazy & I'm fighting the urge to scratch inside it.

That’s a lot of work for darn near the smallest bit you can get. I have a similar bit for laminate seams. I think using it for what you want to do will heat it up and smoke it. How about a V point bit that is meant to just tickle the surface.
That was my first thought, then I saw them skinny suckers. 😁
How about if I use the skinny suckers and set up a high pressure coolant sprayer system like they use on CNC machines? I'm thinking of a coolant that's dryer than water so it doesn't make the problem worse. 😁😁😁

Put Hunter in the kennel today. Gave me a chance to vacuum the upstairs. Got enough hair to grow another beagle! Mopped the kitchen floor too. I used a really cheap 2 mm glue down laminate from Shaw. Surprised how good it looks after 5 years.
My friend who had heart surgery is going camping. A friend is taking him. 5 hour ride. I’m taking a refractor so he can do something.
That's nice. I hope the weather cooperates. Been so long since I've spent time looking up I'm not sure what I'd remember...... OK, maybe not that bad.

The tip, which is where all the work is being done, will heat up and smoke the wood. Maybe you’ll make it through to the end with some scorching, maybe not. I could be wrong cus you’re no dummy but that just seams like a small bit for the amount of work you’ll be using it for.

Does your router (table?) have dust collection? A lot of heat builds up in the bit. The wood chips that have nowhere to go help to retain the heat leading to overheating. Having a way to evacuate the chips as well as bringing in some fresh (cool) air will help the bit to not heat up as much. It’s a small bit, doesn’t take that much heat to kill it.

Feed rate will be another factor. CNC routers have to be slowed down when using tiny bits, no different for a handheld router. I’m assuming several kerf cuts on the back side of each piece. That adds up to total LF. When I use my bit like yours I’m usually only routing a couple feet of laminate then the bit has time to cool down. Not to mention I’m usually cutting mid bit. You will be doing a bit more than a couple feet and all the cutting is happening at the tip. No doubt you’ll get in a groove, production mode, and start pushing that wood through. Eww, I can smell the burning wood already. Smells

I do however like the skinniness of the bit and the idea of more skinnier kerfs than less fatter kerfs so maybe you are on to something. Maybe we’re both right and that’s the bit to use but it will get smoked. That means you’ll need a couple bits so you can switch em out when things start to go south.

Do they make an up cut bit that size? That would help evacuate the chips and prolly run cooler because of it.

Or maybe you’re over the router idea and have decided that Daris is right. Thin kerf blade on the table saw will do the trick. You can put a 7.25” blade on a 10” saw and be just fine. Pick up a Diablo blade for $10 or $15 and you’ll still be able to use it in your skill saw when you’re done and you won’t smoke it like a router bit.

Here’s a 5 pack of up cut bits. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07S...=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWw

Last edited:
Oh, it sucks alright. Just on the lower tubes.
I like the upcut bits and the cuttin' part is short.
I do have an old Matsushita 7 1/4" blade.... pretty thin blade.

Attachments

• IMG_20200515_131242012_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200515_131242012_HDR.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200509_094642521_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200509_094642521_HDR.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200509_094730438.jpg
    IMG_20200509_094730438.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200515_131031829_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200515_131031829_HDR.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200515_131024693_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200515_131024693_HDR.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 21
I still wish I could find where you found that formica/laminate stuff for the tabletop. I love it!
I'd put that in our kitchen if we could find enough of it. The stuff we have is chipping off.

I felt sick late last night and this morning to afternoon. Nauseous and stomach just feeling icky. Used a cat as a warmer for my gut last night and that helped a little. Ear is still bothering me and I'm fighting the urge to scratch it.

Gas is at $4.099 for the cheap stuff here. I know that is low compared to other places but we make up for it by having 10.45% sales tax on everything else. We even have sales tax on groceries and prescription medicines but I think it's around 6%. I need to change the engine filter and cabin air filter in my truck, get the back tire looked at again.

Met up with my friend to put gas in his car again, filled up my truck, and went to TSC to get sweet feed for the cows. That made the cows very happy. Still feeling bleh and know I will have to cook dinner. Puppies didn't want to be outside so one is on my dresser and the other is on my bed. They like to climb on furniture. I wanted to clean in my room today but I looked at it and couldn't figure out where to start and then felt too tired. Gonna have to see the doctor on Monday if this ear crud doesn't clear up.

I did have a good cuddle with my oldest cat and one of the dogs. Cat was cuddling the dog and trying to clean her ear. She likes cats and is good with them and most of them like her.

Those LVP products do hold up well with just a decent routine cleaning. What I see in the commercial world is severe neglect of marginal installs. So first issue is the lumpy substrate starts to telegraph-------darkening where the mop/buffer misses cleaning the low spots. Even then a "deep" clean can pretty much restore them to new. Rarely see that effort in schools, lower end office/retail, government/military so the product doesn't live up to the "no-wax" concept. I always tell those customer; "It's not no-CLEAN".

You're not supposed to have to use a machine scrubber but that's really only feasible with very regular washing and rinsing with soap and water. I'm there in the early AM to see what the custodial staff does. In most cases it's damn close to nothing. For example, we did a two phase project that was a double Art classroom at a high school. So the room that had been done just a few months early looked like it was down there 15 years. I watched the custodian come in and swipe a filthy mop head around the 1000 square foot classroom-----not once rinsing. In fact, I doubt he's rinsing out that mop bucket more than once a day, if he even rinses it at all ever. Poor art teacher asked me about why her floor looked like crap. I had to bite my tongue and play dumb. Can't shake things up there as it was one of our bigger accounts and that kind of............honesty..........could really make waves.

I paid $6.07 for regular gas last night.
Got lucky and gassed up at the Navy base for just $5.65 Wed. last. It was a full 20 gallons so the total was something like $113. I think that's the biggest receipt ever for me. I generally don't wait til there's less than a gallon in the tank but I was actually timing it to max out on the cheaper gas.

Latest posts

Back