What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was 33° this morning where I am in New York.
I found a way to combat those unruly extension cords and hoses.
Almost everything I own now is cordless.

Do you take your batteries inside at night or protect them in some other way from the extreme heat and cold? I bring mine inside when it gets to freezing or below.

It was warmer-- up to 76 today-- but I still dressed in warmer clothes. Went to Samsclub. My Pickup order wasn't ready until 3:18pm but they didn't bring it out until 4:30pm (Once I was notified that it was ready it took me an hour to get there and then I had to wait for them to bring it out). I got a $10 gift card for griping about it being late-- I was sitting at home waiting for notification and contacted samsclub around 2:30pm (it was supposed to be ready between 1 to 2pm). At least this time I didn't have to go into the store and get the stuff myself and cancel my order again.

Stopped at Walmart for Mom's RX and headed home. Still need to unload the cases of water but didn't feel up to it when I got home. Cooked for Mom and am currently cuddled up with kitties and doggies.

Do you take your batteries inside at night or protect them in some other way from the extreme heat and cold? I bring mine inside when it gets to freezing or below.
I have a thick foam cooler I keep them in as well as caulk. They still get cold but don’t freeze.
It’s a pain in the ass. Imagine watching tv & lounging around then wondering if you put your batteries in the cooler…..

Holy smokes CJ, you get to wake up to that every morning?
...and all those cords, or "cables". Do you plug one end in at home, then lay them all the way to the job site?

27 degrees out this morning and so are all those cords and hose. Couldn’t imagine what it’s like to be in NY, Wisconsin or some other miserable place during the winter and having to deal with this or worse every day 😂 On the plus side I do love a nice sunrise.

View attachment 17752
View attachment 17753View attachment 17754
That is a crazy amount of cord. My 8 hour day would be 4 hours spreading them out and then 4 hours reeling them up. The union contract had to limit what we were required to furnish to 50'. If the GC didn't have anything close to the work the shop would have to furnish the ten zillion feet of cord, or sometimes we'd get a generator out there to avoid the battle ground at the spider box and constant tripping of breakers. I recall turning the handle on the Clarke sanders and all the lights would dim and the machine would start spinning at 2 RPM gradually drawing enough power to get up to 175. I had off brand machines that to get the pad spinning you'd have to swing the machine around to kind of push start. Those machines were buffers rather than sanders so they really only were good for light sanding off new slabs to take the burrs off.

Last edited:
It was a Bakelite brownie.
After it was burnt beyond recognition, I must have set it back in the shop for some reason..... maybe it was pouring down rain, so in a hurry to open windows I just set it back there. Whatever the reason, at some point, it dropped behind the desk to become an heirloom to be passed on. Maybe I'll cut it into cubes and frame them for Christmas presents. 😁
Maybe I saved it as a test for a new flooring product .....a possible collaboration between me and Betty Crocker. 🤔
....or the first test tiles for the space shuttle.
This thing was preserved better than any Egyptian pharaoh ever was. 😂
Well, the desk that the char broiled brownie fell behind is .... toast 🫣
It was in decent shape for a 1950s relic. Took it to Habitat and they didn't want it. 🙄. They have tons of space and even if it went to $4.00 it could have a 3rd life and made them I tiny bit. It's been in the family for well over 50 years.
Took it to the loading dock at the store and put "Free" on it. If it's there on Monday it's dumpster material. 🥴
I relocated two mechanic tool boxes from the wall by the drill press. That desk was on the left wall. Where the desk and the tool boxes came together, there was a 19" by 22" void for stuff to fall into....... corners in a small work shop are hard to use efficiently.
With the too cabinets and desk out of the way, I decided that would be a place for a double drawer file cabinet. It will dry at an angle with just a small triangle behind it.......hardly any wasted space when it's completed. The drill press was next to the door, so using it was awkward. Its now going to set next to my new work table area with lots of room for drill press related stuff.... Drills, clamps, my monster 44 lb cross slide drill press vice can be easily set down to the side table now, and easy to lift when I need it.

The Lil old shop was put together one piece at a time over the years..... decades actually and randomly adding stuff and dropping it in whatever space was available. It's going to be a lot better when I finish up.
It's gonna be about 4 feet on each wall and cover the file cabinet at an angle.
The left part of the table might just become my "drafting area" , where I can finish up my floor layouts with plenty of space for rulers, pencils.....
.....and erasers. 🥴
I'm kinda thinkin the table's framework is going to resemble this, with 3/4 plywood on the top.... .maybe topped with 1/4" Masonite.......
Still planning a little bit.
The file cabinet is green and my antique Makita chop saw will nestle nicely next to it under the table top on the right side.... Out of sight, out of mind. I don't use it often but like it stored indoors.

Attachments

• IMG_20231104_222506242.jpg
    IMG_20231104_222506242.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231104_222506242~2.jpg
    IMG_20231104_222506242~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
That ol Hubler laser I bought last year came in handy for these wall supports.
Was this accuracy necessary for a desk top 🤣😂😁🤣😂😁🤣
....no, it wasn't.
However, I just set it on the file cabinet and didn't fuss with a level or measuring tape at all. Love this thing. It even showed me the welded wall support was perfectly vertical. Was that necessary? No....
🤣😂😂🤣😁😂🤣
Anyway, I did something constructive today.
The shelves on the left are disappearing.
I'm thinking spray cans might fit into four or five triangular shaped shelves built into, or stacked into the corner to better utilize that space.
https://huepar.com/products/huepar-603cg

Attachments

• IMG_20231104_220656383.jpg
    IMG_20231104_220656383.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231104_220637967.jpg
    IMG_20231104_220637967.jpg
  • IMG_20231104_220522769.jpg
    IMG_20231104_220522769.jpg
I think someone's.... Meaning more than one, are telling you to upgrade, CJ. Cords are as old as Daris, Rusty, Pong and Commodore 64.

We’ve all got cordless nail guns but they come with their own quirks. The battery ones are heavy and you gotta charge the small batteries up all the time. Bigger batteries last longer but weigh more. Nobody is carrying around a cordless gun with an 8ah battery on it all day long.

Then there’s Paslode. The gas guns rock but the fuel for them cost about $20 per box of nails (2000) and I can burn through a box of nails myself in a day on a production house if I’m nailing. Times that by 3 or 4 guys and it starts to add up so sometimes it’s actually worth it to sling cords especially if it’s only one or two cords n hoses for multiple guys to pull from. What about the truck mounted compressor, you gotta keep it level. If there’s no flat ground to park on…

IMG_3762.jpeg

Then there’s the whole cordless saw BS. Yeah I got my eye on the Makita 12” sliding 40v saw. That saw, another stand, and a couple extra batteries will set you back maybe 2k. Then which cordless table saw do I get? Do I stick with Dewalt? cus they’re not necessarily king of the hill anymore. Flex volt is a different platform to me from the 20v, if I gotta make a jump to a different battery platform do I switch colors cus Bosch and Milwaukee both have cordless table saws.

I may complain about cords n hoses but it looks like I’m dealing with them until I’m ready to burn that big of a hole in my pocket.

I’ve also looked into using high pressure air tanks for paint ball guns. You just need the right step down regulators and you’re good to go. They will fill the tanks for you at my local paint ball place for $5/ tank. Some of those tanks you can pump up to 4500 psi or higher. That outta last a day?? $5 and no air hoses. But you gotta go somewhere to get your refills. CO2 is similar but you still have to go somewhere for your refills.

Visiting my son in Japan this week. It's good to be swinging my big $US around when the yen is at ~150 per. Compared to hotels and restaurants in California..............it's kinda REVERSE sticker shock.

Attachments

• 20231105_140100.jpg
    20231105_140100.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231103_180122.jpg
    20231103_180122.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231105_080729.jpg
    20231105_080729.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Lasers will tell you prior to spilling, which direction your coffee will flow.
When I put a top on the framework, it looks like it will flow pretty much everywhere, not simply straight into my lap. The laser is kissing the top side of the 2x4's wood fibers.
I'm thinkin to top it with a single piece of 3/4 AC or two layers of 1/2 inch AC. It's ever so slightly less than 4' x 4' at the widest dimensions.... 1/2 might be the best route. I'll have to check prices tomorrow.
If gluing two 1/2" sheets together......
What glue? Trowel on Titebond II with a 1/16 by 1/1/6 trowel, then screw the living daylights out of the sheets with 1" drywall screws, using them as temporary clamps to keep it all flat until the glue sets? I can deal with the screw holes later.

Attachments

• VID_20231105_194655870_854x480.mp4
    7.9 MB
  • IMG_20231105_193908052.jpg
    IMG_20231105_193908052.jpg
  • IMG_20231105_193829914.jpg
    IMG_20231105_193829914.jpg
  • IMG_20231105_193822564.jpg
    IMG_20231105_193822564.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
@highup, if you want someone to take the desk, don't put "free" on it. Put a price like "$25' or "$50". Someone will most likely snag it. I think it was the plumbing forums where someone gave that advice to a person trying to get rid of an old toilet. They initially put "free" on it but after putting a sign that said $50 on it they reported it was gone within an hour. In my area people will steal anything marked as having some value.
Video with green laser light is cool. Looks like it will be a nice desk.

I had a lazy day. Played Star Trek Fleet Command and Elder Scrolls Online. Programmed the thermostat to automatically switch from heat to cold and vice versa depending on temperature. Swept up the hallway and wiped down some counters. Watched some "how to" videos on Youtube. Jeff Thorman put out a 2+hr video on how to do a screened in porch.

Latest posts

Back