What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friend didn't have enough chairs for his wedding so I brought 12 over for him. Folding chairs. At one point while he was setting them up he bumped a chair in front and it folded up and collapsed, then hit the one in front of it and did domino effect. I couldn't stick around long since I had other stuff to do. Sauteed some mushrooms for a visiting friend. Had to clean my shower (brother left it a mess), take a shower, unload a bunch of stuff from the truck and get some accessories put on Moms wheelchair. We were almost late bc she dragged ass. Ceremony was about 4min and then they had their dances. No dancing for guests-- it was a somewhat casual thing-- plus the ground was soft so everyone wearing heels had their heels sinking into the ground. Wheelchairs and walkers were getting stuck. But it was still pleasant. People had fun and everyone was happy for the couple. Especially since everyone hated their exes. LOL. Catering had stuff I was allergic to so I couldn't eat much while there. Other people loved the food though and I knew before we went there that I'd have to find something else to eat. So I ate before going and then had a sandwich when I got home.

Just sent the photos and videos I took to my friend. Was absolutely exhausted when we got home but had to help mom get her socks off and put stuff away. Then I racked the hell out. Woke up to charlie horses in both legs. Right leg was knotting on the ankle and below the knee. Lasted about 10min. Had to stand just on that leg to get it to even begin to loosen up. Waiting for Mom to get up now so I can make something for us to eat.
If Nick was still with us, he'd be asking for the movie rights to the wedding. 😁

A year and a half ago I installed a water heater. The old one had been leaking for a long time and that attracted rats. Into the water heater closet. I cleaned the closet area and sealed it with sheet metal.....no critters can get in there anymore. I decided way back then, to put a remote temp/humidity sensor in there to monitor the water heater space...... for kicks and giggles. (Paranoia sorta thing)
If the humidity went up sharply, I'd know it instantly and know I had a leak.
The temp/humidity thingy is sold by Hornady and marketed as a way to remotely monitor a gun safe without opening it.
As designed, the sensor goes inside the safe and the "smart unit" with the LCD screen is magnetically fixed the outside of the safe. Radio waves of course transmit the data.
The water heater closet is 30 feet away.
It was barely too long a distance for the sensor and thermometer to talk. 🤔
So I moved the sensor indoors into my "shop" area in the back room of the house. Line of sight is 25 ish feet. There's only one hollow core door blocking the radio radio waves. Even with just a hollow core door and 30 feet away, the unit would stop transmitting.
......enter McGuyver 🫣
I took the sensor apart and after seeing the antenna soldered in place on the circuit board, I wondered about adding more to the antenna to see if that would help.
Here's the Hornady unit. You can see the circuit board and the coiled copper antenna.
I wound some copper plated MiG wire around a small screwdriver and made another section of antenna. Roughly the same number of turns.
I slid a portion of my antenna extension up inside the other one and put the case bach together.
Holy crap. 😱. I McGuyvered an antenna amplifier. No soldering, no nothing.
I can put this anywhere I want to now. It took less than 10 minutes from first though to a working fix. Yay!
I circled in green, the lead end of the coil I had formed. I simply slid it up inside the other antenna coil...... that's literally all it took.
Elon Musk...... watch your back. 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20240303_205515394.jpg
    IMG_20240303_205515394.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240303_204830146.jpg
    IMG_20240303_204830146.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240303_205326255.jpg
    IMG_20240303_205326255.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240303_204927571~2.jpg
    IMG_20240303_204927571~2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240303_204927571.jpg
    IMG_20240303_204927571.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Tried to troubleshoot why Mom's brand new computer stopped working. It boots up but the lights inside don't come on. Screen says ASUSRocks and then says "no signal". It died in less than 7 days. Its a brand new HDMI cable and I checked to make sure it was in tight. Walmart has a 30 day return policy on electronics so if friend can't fix it, I'm pulling off all the tape and mesh, taking out Mom's SSD, and returning it. The bluetooth signal in it was garbage anyway.

I also went over and said goodbye to the friend who came to visit for the wedding. Might not ever see him again, which makes me sad. Really missed him and am sad to see him go. Gave him a big hug and told him I love him. I hope there will be some way to see him again though. He's a sweetheart.

Looked at a new customers bathroom floor again. Moisture present, so I have been advising to move air and moisture test to see if we can get it dried out prior to installation in a month or so. Still at 35% after a week in front of the tub, but 5% around the toilet. The kid takes baths and splashes water. Well, come to find out after they had removed a couple of tiles that there was a thin chipboard underlayment, and it's loose, so water was seeping in there. Going to stop by later this week to remove that portion of the underlayment ( it's the only bathroom in the home and she's recovering from her first knee surgery. )

I'm hoping that the subfloor will prove to be in good shape and can be dried out and drop that moisture in half after another week of airing it out. If it's still holding moisture, we may have to have a discussion that I've already been preparing her for.
The worst cases I've seen are when the underlayment nails are way to far apart. It gives water that little bit of extra clearance to do that capillary thing.

I had my friend wipe Mom's data from the hard drive of the new computer from Walmart and take out the extra hard drives from her old computer that he'd put in, and rip off all the mesh and protective stuff I put on the computer so I could return it. He boxed it up and I took it back. Clerk checked to see it was the right serial number and had everything it came with. I explained that it didn't even last a week and that I'd taken it to a friend who repairs computers & he said it was toast. Something to do with the motherboard. Fans come on but lights don't & won't boot into windows. Said we didn't want the hassle with a brand new computer already croaking & the clerk understood. Processed the return. Then I went on Amazon and bought her a better computer that is tiny. A Minisforum UM970 Pro. Sucker is a beast and has a better processor than the Walmart one. More RAM and larger SSD too. And it was less expensive bc it was on a limited time sale. It can be upgraded easily. Has 65Gb of DDR5 RAM, Ryzen 9 7940HS processor, Radeon 780M video card, slots for 2 m.2 SSDs, two fast USB C ports, four USB-A ports, RJ45 ethernet port, wifi, & bluetooth. It also has a jack for headphones. /The USB C ports can be used to connect to a TV or monitor with 8k and the HDMI ports (of which there are two) can do 4k. So, she can hook it up to her monitor and to the TV. It is also VESA mount so she can mount it to the wall or to the back of a VESA mount monitor. I don't think her current monitor is VESA though.

I cooked for Mom a few times. My brother got home just as I was making burgers so I made him a cheeseburger with sauteed mushrooms.

Been using one of the shop table saws for the past few weeks. It’s a Ridgid contractor table saw and it’ll do the job nicely if anybody ever took the time to maintain it. It just got a new belt last week and I straightened the rip fence yesterday as well as I put some baffles in the openings to keep the sawdust from flying everywhere. I picked up a dust port last night so I can hook up my dust collector to it today. Should make a huge difference. Next I’ll need to build an outfeed table for it. Just about the time I get that all done I should have my own table saw here to use😂.

Been using one of the shop table saws for the past few weeks. It’s a Ridgid contractor table saw and it’ll do the job nicely if anybody ever took the time to maintain it. It just got a new belt last week and I straightened the rip fence yesterday as well as I put some baffles in the openings to keep the sawdust from flying everywhere. I picked up a dust port last night so I can hook up my dust collector to it today. Should make a huge difference. Next I’ll need to build an outfeed table for it. Just about the time I get that all done I should have my own table saw here to use😂.
You are one nice guy. 👍
...or bored? 😁

This seems like a lot of carpet, but it's a thin, 1/2" patterned cut/loop.
The bedroom without including the closet is over 12 feet both directions.
I don't like the idea of a head seam with this particular carpet and in this layout, so I laid it out in two strips.
The bedroom piece would consume the entire cut.
The hallway piece will end up with a lot of waste.... all I need for fills are a strip on the left side of the bedroom and a small one foot piece at the end of the hallway.
This seems wasteful, but it would give the best results with the carpet chosen.
The green are seams, the wavy purple line is close to the entry door where the carpet meets against a piece of wood trim.
30 feet seems like a lot, but this doesn't lay out well if turned 90 degrees..... And you'd end up with a head seam in the master BR doorway.
...plus 3 seams in the bedroom and another seam in the hall a few feet down from the entry.
Thoughts?
Only looks like a 5X11 leftover, so not as crazy as I thought.

Attachments

• IMG_20240306_080520344~3.jpg
    IMG_20240306_080520344~3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks like a good plan. Hopefully the seams won't be very visible that way.

My brother didn't believe me that the robo call yesterday to remind us of someone having an appointment with the doctor today was for him. Mom & I didn't get email notifications, I just had my appointment, and Mom is having hers next week so that left him. But he said I was wrong. I called to confirm this morning and it was for him. I let him know and he went to the appointment. Said the doctor is changing his meds to something that helps his insulin work better and put him on antibiotics for his respiratory infection. The doctor was very concerned when I told him how my brother already has diabetic retinopathy. Said he's too young to have that problem so his sugar must be way out of control. Only time will tell if his insurance will actually approve the new meds. He applied for a different Medicaid plan and was approved but they put him on the worst one- AETNA-- instead. They dick him around almost every time he tries to get some of his meds.

Still waiting on Mom's insulin pump to come in.

Also ordered a replacement cable for my keyboard off Aliexpress. Was under $10. My current one is fraying right before it gets to the rubber thingamabob going in to the keyboard and the keyboard keeps losing connection with the computer bc of it. It just lost signal while I was typing this because I moved it slightly. Had the keyboard a few years now. I wanted to try wireless, but I can't find one as good as this one in wireless. Has to be waterproof/spill proof (not submersed waterproof, but protect from the liquid in cat vomit). Has to be backlit and have some extra media keys lowering and raising volume. I'm spoiled by those features. I found something like that but the paint was peeling off the keys within a few months. I've had this one for years and the keys are fine. I've also had to clean out cat vomit from it before. But I do keep it under something when not in use to protect it. Partially so cats can't step on the keys and mess up stuff on the computer since there is no off button.

You are one nice guy. 👍
...or bored? 😁

I spent maybe an hour tops installing the baffles and squaring up the fence. I cut a hole and screwed on the dust port today. Hooked up the dust collector and let er rip. Much better.

I finally got a rack to hold all my clamps. Been eyeing it for some time now and today is my lucky day😁. Spent my lunch break putting it together. So nice to have all your clamps in one place.

I spent maybe an hour tops installing the baffles and squaring up the fence. I cut a hole and screwed on the dust port today. Hooked up the dust collector and let er rip. Much better.

I finally got a rack to hold all my clamps. Been eyeing it for some time now and today is my lucky day😁. Spent my lunch break putting it together. So nice to have all your clamps in one place.
Pictures?

Here’s what I’ve been fiddling with for the past few days I bought a clamp rack that has my dust collector mounted on it as well. I can roll it around as necessary, which is quite frequently here.

I made a panel out of 1/4” scrap for the back of the saw. Underneath is a piece of 1/2” screwed to the base and it has a 4” dust port hooked up to it. Simple but it works.

Now I’m working on my 7.25” slider. I mounted a dust chute behind and underneath it. Now I need to build some sort of shroud around and over the top of it to catch all the sawdust it flings everywhere. Little by little, I’ll get there.

IMG_4113.jpeg
IMG_4111.jpeg
IMG_4112.jpeg
IMG_4107.jpeg
IMG_4110.jpeg

...a roll around clamp rack. Now I get your excitement. Nice. 👍
Did the guys at the shop in AZ starve to death or did anyone commit Hara Kari when you moved back home? Must have been like a divorce.
...... suddenly, ......nobody to cook. 😱
Looks like they've accepted you back into the family.

Latest posts

Back