What Money Looks Like

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
Here's what builders let happen to the substrates out here. Yes, not only concrete but wood as well. No one protects the substrate from painters, drywall texturing etc.

Looks like easy money to me. Whats your preferred method to clean this up with if adhering to slab? Most tile guys use water and a scraper as evidenced in the pic.

paint.jpg

We usually just sand it

I worked for a GC for many years and his texture/paint guys were so bad I had to use a Scrape-Away. When I complained to my boss he just said keep track of the time. So I guess we billed it T&M for the extra cleaning because to lay 20-30 cartons of VCT would be a whole DAY of cleaning and prep. This went on for years and became the norm for that GC. I never saw so much overspray. There would be a heavy coat of texture 2 feet out from every wall. then a coat of primer and two coats of paint. The sander would bind/gum right up the paint/primer was so thick. Worse yet was when the ceilings were drywall rather than acoustic tile. Then the whole floor was a mess.

On concrete if there's time you can spray it with a mist of water and in an hour or so it scrapes up real easy but then you either have to mop and rinse or let it dry completely and sand the residue.

I don't suppose you'd want to do that on plywood. I don't think I ever used a Scrape-Away on plywood either. SO that's it. I'd just quit and go home. Let someone else deal with it.

I dont work for builders. They seem to know more about flooring than I do anyway. Let the hacks deal with them, lol.

Ken, this home is several years old, track home. NO ONE cleans the floors. If your quoting a gluedown anything you better add in floor prep for it or you'll do it for free. Old or new homes.

Glad to see you can get that $1 a foot to clean/grind/prep. For sure from what I see it's worth it from the customer's standpoint. Too bad they don't know how to backcharge the scab, idiot "builders"......all their subs and the horses they rode in on.

Your price would blow commercial GC's brains out but we'll walk if they don't "come to the party" and make it worth our while. That mess screams HOURLY T&M to me.

Yeah, a buck a foot is not the least bit unreasonable of a small scale like residential work.

And Ken has the best set-up for it. Mine is a tad....well step down.

075.JPG

Last edited:
That's alot better than what you used to use. If you want to maximize the efficiency with your system you should look into a cup wheel like - this.

Didn't know they made a wheel like that. The design is similar to a scrape-away sort of. Seems like those little teeth would not last long. I have a profile wheel like this and a double row cup wheel.
http://www.joedue.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/123/page/1/id/40/name/724SegmentTurboHARDBOND

http://www.joedue.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/123/page/1/id/43/name/7DoubleRowCupwheel

Latest posts

Back