What was under the floor?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I'm guessing stain or paint thinner.
Lady called and said she had a bubble in her floor, I thought she was talking about carpet. I asked if she could send me some pictures and here's what I got. The material was installed in 2017 I believe. I didn't ask her when the bubble started appearing.
I'm kind of doubting she has an exact pattern match for this particular stone. A person would be really lucky to have this much leftover material on a pattern this size to make a repair possible.
I'm thinking you have to cut and fit the repair piece, then cut out a section of floor that was contaminated with whatever made a bubble and replace it with some new plywood or something similar., Then adhere the repair piece.
I noticed the bubble extends into the pattern to the left. I don't know if there's much you could do with that one.
I'm thinking she needs a new floor.
The texture almost looks like an IVC product.

Attachments

• IMG_20230711_231015.jpg
    IMG_20230711_231015.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 5
Looks like a furniture leg or something heavy that moved around was there and it separated the wear layer from the backing (felt backed vinyl).

Water based contact cement and a syringe. Poke a couple holes and inject the adhesive then smoosh it around a bit to get complete coverage. Clean up the ooze then weight it down for 24 hours. Maybe that will save you from having to do a patch.

Last edited:
That’s definitely ivc. Something heavy delaminated the top layer from its cushion backing.

I hated that stuff!

I'll have to ask her about the cause.
I'm thinking the floor had something oil based that got spilled on the floor and over time vaped up and softened the vinyl.
It's in the walkway towards the door, not where you'd put something that could do that type of damage.
I'll call her tomorrow.

That’s definitely ivc. Something heavy delaminated the top layer from its cushion backing.

I hated that stuff!
Actually it was Tarkett. That one down and visited the job today when doing a measure for another home.
The lady is an artist and this room is dedicated to painting.
If she wasn't there I would have taken a couple pictures for ya. There's a sliding glass door leading from the house into this add-on room. Up above the header for the door were four paintings of hers, bowls full of fruit, still life. Holy crap, they look like photographs this lady is very good.
Anyhow, to take this photo she moved a couple things out of the way to show the bubble more clearly.
I didn't take any additional photos but I did draw some stuff on the one she sent to me, the one I presented earlier.
To the left of the image is the exterior wall. She has a small table there with a roll around chair which of course to me became instant suspect.
That thought disappeared quickly because there was only one spot, the one you see were those any bubbling in the vinyl. With five sets of double casters, a chair should leave more than one spot delaminated.
I drew a couple of the chair casters on the left of the image for reference. I can't see her ever using the chair in the place where the bubbles are.
To the right is a 2x4 framed up stand that acts as an easel. I drew the location of this easel pretty close to the location that it normally resides in. When painting she would stand between the feet of this easel thingy.
When I was there today, all the furnishings were back in place. She must stand there while she works on her paintings. She's not a large woman so I would immediately deduct that the vinyl didn't delaminate because of her standing there and twisting back and forth while painting.
My thoughts now are possibly a rag with paint thinner was left on the floor overnight and did this damage. That or something solvent based tipped over and spilled there.
I brought a small piece of this flooring home and currently it's on the bathroom counter. I ripped five, dime-sized layers of paper towels and soaked them with paint thinner.
I'm going to leave this little dime-sized pile of paint thinner soaked paper towels on its surface overnight and see if it has any effect.
I don't know what other chemicals a painter would use. Most painters are either acrylics or oil so I can't see anything like acetone being used.
The bubble area is not melted in any way or has suffered any loss of sheen, it simply that the surface layer has delaminated from the foam underbelly of this Tarkett sheet vinyl.
The lady also told me that the fellow that installed the flooring also installed and underlayment, so I totally doubt that paint thinner, stain or any other solvent was spilled on the floor creating this issue from the underside upwards.
If one could inject an adhesive into this bubble, it would need to cure, because it doesn't have anywhere for air to dry it.
Funny thing is she has a leftover strip of this foreign, afoot wide that came from the side of the roll. The material is 12 ft wide and the room is 11 ft 8 or something like that.
She does have an exact pattern match, what are the chances? 😳
When I asked that question, these types of flooring have pattern matches that are 6 ft apart or sometimes don't even match all the way across a roll.
Anyhow, there is a pattern match but I don't know if I have the guts to try and trim a piece to fit this.
What if I do a beautiful job double cutting this material and the edge of the adjacent stone has delamination? I wouldn't be concerned if this was off in the corner of a room but it's in the most heavily used one square foot spot in the room.
I also don't know what it was glued down with or how it was glued. Did they allow the adhesive to flash, and maybe this repair area will just lift right out of the pressure sensitive adhesive?
......... Or did they drop it in wet and this thing is stuck like gangbusters to the underlayment?
For now, I'm just going to do a couple experiments on it to see what it takes to make the surface bubble.
I'm not sure I want to screw something up by making it worse and end up buying the lady a new floor.
Anyway here's an image of the floor, half of the seat of the rolling chair or to your left, and where she stands in front of the easel is marked by the green.

Attachments

• IMG_20230711_231015~2.jpg
    IMG_20230711_231015~2.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure I want to screw something up by making it worse and end up buying the lady a new floor.
I would not want to liable for a new floor for a repair such as this. A patch is a patch and it will show. She needs to understand that.

First thing I would try, assuming the customer understands the risk, is to cut a slice or a flap and put some glue under it. Throw a weight on it as mentioned. If that doesn't work you can still patch it. If none of that works there is still no way it's fair for you to be buying a new floor. You didn't put the bubble there.

Also I'm not sure I get why you wanna do all that testing? What's the difference how the bubble got there? Could even be a defect from the get go.

If you go with the flap cut or a patch I'm a big fan of cove base cement for repairs like that. That $hit sticks to everything.

Last edited:
I would not want to liable for a new floor for a repair such as this. A patch is a patch and it will show. She needs to understand that.

First thing I would try, assuming the customer understands the risk, is to cut a slice or a flap and put some glue under it. Throw a weight on it as mentioned. If that doesn't work you can still patch it. If none of that works there is still no way it's fair for you to be buying a new floor. You didn't put the bubble there.

Also I'm not sure I get why you wanna do all that testing? What's the difference how the bubble got there? Could even be a defect from the get go.

If you go with the flap cut or a patch I'm a big fan of cove base cement for repairs like that. That $hit sticks to everything.
If it's in between two layers of vinyl will it dry, or cure? This would be in between the foam backing and the surface layer, it didn't come loose from the subfloor, it delaminated from itself.
The reason I did the testing is I'm curious why it happened in the first place.
One of the thing about placing adhesive inside the bubble. If you could manage to get a super thin layer of adhesive in there and not have too much, just exactly enough if you waited it it would probably end up wrinkled like a prune. You need to shrink the bubbled part to make it lay flat.
I'm leaning on just advising her to put a small rug there to stand on. It would cover up the spot and it wouldn't cost her anything.

I couldn't push the small bubble across the grout line so I do think it's attached but it also could be a weak spot ready to go.

Latest posts

Back