Who makes your tools?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a search a while back looking for the relationship between Craftsman and Rigid.
Many products of those two look the same except for color and minor differences.
I came up with that link in the process. Everyone has other companies make specific products for them under a private label. Nothing new, just hadn't seen the actual links.

Black and Decker makes Dewalt. To bad some of those tools parts aren't interchangeable-like batteries.

Daris

FYI, The guts from a Black and Decker battery fit perfectly inside the shell of a Dewalt battery. At a fraction of the cost. They are just a bunch of AA batteries in some kind of shrink wrap with a little bit of wiring. Only five torx head screws holding the Dewalt battery case together. If you have a dead one, disassemble and you'll see.

Try it. You'll like it!

FYI, The guts from a Black and Decker battery fit perfectly inside the shell of a Dewalt battery. At a fraction of the cost. They are just a bunch of AA batteries in some kind of shrink wrap with a little bit of wiring. Only five torx head screws holding the Dewalt battery case together. If you have a dead one, disassemble and you'll see.

Try it. You'll like it!

I took apart a Craftsman 14.2 battery once thinking I could rebuild it. I didn't have the right tools. We have a place here that rebuilds the batteries but it cost as much as a new one. Then Craftsman changed the to a different battery style so I trashed the drill and I loved that drill. Batteries probably lasted 3-4 years on that drill.

Daris

I took apart a Craftsman 14.2 battery once thinking I could rebuild it. I didn't have the right tools. We have a place here that rebuilds the batteries but it cost as much as a new one. Then Craftsman changed the to a different battery style so I trashed the drill and I loved that drill. Batteries probably lasted 3-4 years on that drill.

Daris
A friend gave me his old 20volt Craftsman drill. He said the chuck kept sticking. He had bought a new drill set.
The old one he gave me has the old style slide in battery with a charge level indicator. My newer (4year old) 19.2volt battery is partially inserted up inside the handle.
That old drill he gave me was an easy fix. The older 20volt drill is labeled Diehard instead of Craftsman. It feels much better built and weighs 2X as much as my newer 19.2 volt drill. Maybe a pro model?
Batteries Plus sells new batteries for it, but they are $85 a pop.

A friend gave me his old 20volt Craftsman drill. He said the chuck kept sticking. He had bought a new drill set.
The old one he gave me has the old style slide in battery with a charge level indicator. My newer (4year old) 19.2volt battery is partially inserted up inside the handle.
That old drill he gave me was an easy fix. The older 20volt drill is labeled Diehard instead of Craftsman. It feels much better built and weighs 2X as much as my newer 19.2 volt drill. Maybe a pro model?
Batteries Plus sells new batteries for it, but they are $85 a pop.[/QUOTE]

That about what I was paying for the Craftsman Lithium batteries. They didn't last any frigging longer than the regular batteries. Now at times Sears will run a sale on the drill and 2 batteries for $69. For that it is just as easy to trash the old and get the new.

Daris

Batteries Plus sells new batteries for it, but they are $85 a pop.[/QUOTE]

That about what I was paying for the Craftsman Lithium batteries. They didn't last any frigging longer than the regular batteries. Now at times Sears will run a sale on the drill and 2 batteries for $69. For that it is just as easy to trash the old and get the new.

Daris
Looking at the way they package the battery packs, or the tool combo kits, there is no way to get from A to B........... B meaning, bargain.
Their drill/driver combo comes with the smaller lithium battery and charger, or two nicad batteries and a charger. ...or you can buy just the drill, and buy then purchase the large lithium battery and charger separately at full price. They won't sell the drill or drill driver set with the larger lithium battery, nor have the battery at a sale price.

I buy all Hitachi tools when I can find them. Had very good luck with them.

My only complaint is the battery cost. The new 18v batteries are about $70, just for one battery.

I can go to Lowe's and get a drill, two batteries, and a charger for about $130. I got one during the holidays on sale for about $100. Either way is less than the cost of two batteries.

So now I have three drills and four working batteries. At some some point I'm going to end up with more drills than batteries. :)

I buy all Hitachi tools when I can find them. Had very good luck with them.

My only complaint is the battery cost. The new 18v batteries are about $70, just for one battery.

I can go to Lowe's and get a drill, two batteries, and a charger for about $130. I got one during the holidays on sale for about $100. Either way is less than the cost of two batteries.

So now I have three drills and four working batteries. At some some point I'm going to end up with more drills than batteries. :)

Just did the same as I lost my charger
Cheaper to buy a new drill with batteries

Latest posts

Back