Advice Needed: Removing Swirls from Polished Concrete Floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_H

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out for some expert advice regarding a unique issue with our new home's polished concrete floor. The floor has distinct black color, but there are visible swirls on the surface that are about 1 mm thick. I'm not sure what they are - possibly from a densifier or a top coat?

I'm considering sanding down these swirls and restoring the shine by progressively using diamond resin pads of increasing grit levels. However, I'm concerned about potentially altering the floor's original black color in the areas where the swirls are removed.

Has anyone here dealt with a similar issue? I would greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions on how to proceed without compromising the floor's color and finish. See the attach images of the swirls for a clearer understanding.

Thank you in advance for your help!

IMG20230402002509.jpg

IMG20230402002635.jpg

Don’t think there is an easy fix for that. Just like a hardwood floor those are sanding or grinding swirls and dark colors accentuate them. The only way to remove them is to sand or grind past the marks and start over again.

Don’t think there is an easy fix for that. Just like a hardwood floor those are sanding or grinding swirls and dark colors accentuate them. The only way to remove them is to sand or grind past the marks and start over again.
Thank you. The swirls are a plastic-like transparent mass that lay on top of the concrete. Sanding swirls would be grooves in the concrete?

Is the entire surface like that? It looks like the coating was applied with a buffer with a stiff bristle applicator.
If it's just the top coat, I wouldn't think that a gentle surface sanding it would change the color because you'd mainly be removing the finish, not the concrete.
You'd want to apply a new coating compatible with the one that's on it now. That's a subject way out of my league.
I don't know how many concrete or concrete coatings and polishing forums exist, but if you can find one of those it would get more advice than here. I like the color.

Latest posts

Back