Book ban

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course the Earth is warming. We are still coming out of the last ice age.

I would have gotten an A also, then being falsely accused of copying your paper. Personally, I'm glad we are still melting instead of heading back into a block of ice ......but that's just me.

Public schools are a good thing to get everyone to a certain minimal level of basic education. But once you enter into political, philosophical or religious issues I would agree that those courses should be dealt with by private funding. So for example members of the Flat Earth Society wouldn't have to have their children exposed to radical theories of astronomy that contradict their core values.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_flat_Earth_societies

Public schools are a good thing to get everyone to a certain minimal level of basic education. But once you enter into political, philosophical or religious issues I would agree that those courses should be dealt with by private funding. So for example members of the Flat Earth Society wouldn't have to have their children exposed to radical theories of astronomy that contradict their core values.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_flat_Earth_societies
Yup....... in school you need to be exposed to both sides of everything to learn how to absorb data and make personal choices based on what you see or learn.
Let them read how the global warming freakazoids are correct, but also learn how normal people are even more correct. :D
Seriously, tho, let them see both sides of an equation and let them decide for themselves.
............ banning or hiding information from the kids and controlling their access to data is downright criminal no matter which version of reality ends up being right.

"The Deniers" of global warming must just be blind to the factual evidence of satellite photos showing the recently receding ice around the world. It is a fact.

"The Deniers" of global warming must just be blind to the factual evidence of satellite photos showing the recently receding ice around the world. It is a fact.

No one denies there is warming. There are several different opinions as to the cause. The Earth has warmed and cooled in cycles forever. 1 degree since 1850 isn't much since we are still coming out of the last ice age.

No one denies there is warming. There are several different opinions as to the cause. The Earth has warmed and cooled in cycles forever. 1 degree since 1850 isn't much since we are still coming out of the last ice age.

Oh really - NO ONE?

http://www.alternet.org/environment...onts-ceo-over-oil-giants-funding-climate-lies

Snip-
"So, my name is Anna Kalinsky. And my grandfather, James F. Black, was a scientist for Exxon for over 40 years. He started with Standard Oil during World War II, later earned dozens of patents for Esso and, later, Exxon. In 1977, he briefed the company’s top executives on the scientific realities of climate change. He said that present thinking holds that man has a time window of five to 10 years before the need for hard decisions regarding changes in energy strategies might become critical, like you acknowledged on your slides. This is over 30, almost 40, years ago."

I recently read an article from a man who designs different devices to measure temperature. He has been at it for 40 years. He said it was impossible to accurately compare temperatures from 150 years ago with today's temperatures because of the differences in technology in measuring devices. Today's computer driven equipment is far more accurate. He stated that the different equipment could have at least a 2 to 3 degree difference.

Yup....... in school you need to be exposed to both sides of everything to learn how to absorb data and make personal choices based on what you see or learn.
Let them read how the global warming freakazoids are correct, but also learn how normal people are even more correct. :D
Seriously, tho, let them see both sides of an equation and let them decide for themselves.
............ banning or hiding information from the kids and controlling their access to data is downright criminal no matter which version of reality ends up being right.

I disagree strongly with your assertion that science is something to be presented to high school or grade school kids to interpret based on "personal choices". I'm sure I've said this before. My father was a scientist. My son is a scientist. The first thing an education should teach you is when to realize you are totally ignorant of something and ought to rely on the genuine experts. The second thing a higher education teaches you is who those experts are.

This is NOT something subject to debate by non-scientists.

My very UNlearned interpretation of the scientific mumbo jumbo I've been exposed to is that the climate is changing and we are probably causing irreperable damage in many different ways. But as far as the entire global temperature rising or lowering I have no idea. I think the bigger worries should be about the various poisons we excrete into the earth, water and atmosphere. There's only so much filth any given region (and the entire globe) can absorb without ruining that region for centuries sometimes or for all intents and purposes eternity.

I disagree strongly with your assertion that science is something to be presented to high school or grade school kids to interpret based on "personal choices". I'm sure I've said this before. My father was a scientist. My son is a scientist. The first thing an education should teach you is when to realize you are totally ignorant of something and ought to rely on the genuine experts. The second thing a higher education teaches you is who those experts are.

This is NOT something subject to debate by non-scientists.
So none of us non scientists should even form an opinion? Not everyone goes on to higher education.
I see no problem exposing kids to both sides of the argument should the topic come up or be part of a class assignment.............. maybe even in a debate class, or debate club. It gets kids thinking, which is what learning is all about.
I do take huge issue with the Portland schools totally eliminating one side of the argument from the school grounds and deeming man made global warming as fact. Removing any books, magazines (That means National Geographic etc) or, papers, etc from the library in an effort to force feed the kids one side of this topic is criminal in my view. I'd strongly oppose a class devoted to the global warming issue for high school kids, but talking about the subject is not 'for scientists only'.

I'd also take issue if a teacher teaches that man made global warming as fact to 'indoctrinate the kids' with partial truths about global warming. Presenting information for discussion is good. Researching about any subject is learning, which is good thing. There's nothing wrong for kids in school to learn about present day topics they read and hear from the media. Now I'm not talking about 3rd and 4th graders.
The topic I started with is about censorship by the Portland school board. This is something China or North Korea would do. Censorship on this level is a very bad thing.

My very UNlearned interpretation of the scientific mumbo jumbo I've been exposed to is that the climate is changing and we are probably causing irreperable damage in many different ways. But as far as the entire global temperature rising or lowering I have no idea. I think the bigger worries should be about the various poisons we excrete into the earth, water and atmosphere. There's only so much filth any given region (and the entire globe) can absorb without ruining that region for centuries sometimes or for all intents and purposes eternity.
Much agreed.
Can you imagine the stir it would cause if any references to pollution were banned from schools?

Last edited:
Look back a few thousand years and realize that the churches would not allow teaching that the Earth is round.
30 years ago, the first doctor to say that ulcers could be cured with antibiotics was considered a crackpot. It took him years to convince the medical community.
Science needs to be open-minded or there are no discoveries.

Latest posts

Back