California Closets

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
AKA Krappy closets.

Luckily I have not run into their krap in a long time. Unluckily I just did run onto an office I was installing a laminate floor in. A sort of custom home office desk set-up.

As typical of them they install anything on top of carpet. Desks, shelving, most anything they can secure to a wall instead of the proper way to install desks, cabinets and shelving to the floor.They do it like that because it is fast and easy. They are in and out, grab the check and go without any thought about what would happen if the carpet were to be replaced later with a different floor other than carpet.

Still it is inexcusable for them to install their shit, and I mean shit product on top of carpet.

Cut out the carpet and did not have enough cabinet to fasten my quarter round to.

Cut out the carpet and did not have enough cabinet to fasten my quarter round to.

Can't picture your dilemma...

I did this one recently with same problem. Discussed molding options (customer even tried to get matching cabinet trim from maker) and scribing with a caulk joint...wound up being able to lift up the front enough to get wood under. Towards the back where there was less leeway to lift I wound up undercutting basically just a multi-tool blade thickness.

acacia-with-built-ins.jpg

You musta had a thinner carpet and pad. There was half inch pad and an extra dense thick carpet on mine. The QR barely touched the bottom of the cabinet. She's going to call the cabinet people and have them deal with their krap.
Now maybe If I had some thicker flooring it would not have been an issue

Last edited:
I see what you're saying. I believe the shoddy workmanship of others presents opportunity for me. I probably would have ripped a riser for the cab. Whatever I would have done it most likely would have been an improvement over cali. Then I walk out a hero.

I can appreciate that. Another issue was the cabinets were not flush in front, some sections like the file drawers set back a quarter inch.

I'm late to the party with info, but if you ever have to cut the carpet at the cabinet faces, I found recently on a motor home that a Fein Multimaster makes clean work of cutting the edges instead of hacking at it with a utility knife. Cuts and melts the carpet ..............like butta!
This don't fix the subject at hand............. just mentioned it to add to your mental toolbox.

I'm late to the party with info, but if you ever have to cut the carpet at the cabinet faces, I found recently on a motor home that a Fein Multimaster makes clean work of cutting the edges instead of hacking at it with a utility knife. Cuts and melts the carpet ..............like butta!
This don't fix the subject at hand............. just mentioned it to add to your mental toolbox.

Now ya tell me. With what attachment?

Latest posts

Back