Carpet transition to floating LVP

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbouma

Newbie DIYer here. Installing some floating LVP that will transition up against an existing medium pile berber carpet. Got advised into using a baby threshold/end-cap.

Not sure how I correctly butt up the carpet to the threshold as it came with no instructions and not finding any useful videos out there on YouTube (they're all T-molding or Reducer centric it seems).

My two primary "what's best to do" questions:

1. Does the carpet get tucked under the threshold or literally just butted up against it?

2. Should there be any carpet tack utilized at a certain setback from this seam? (none currently there, they actually just embedded carpet under the t-molding track that was used in last transition piece).

TYIA for any advice.

Hi mbouma,

Yes the carpet will butt to the baby threshold, using tackless strip to hold it in place. Hopefully the threshold is 1/2 “ thick. Fasten the tackless appropriately 3/8” away / maybe a hairline shorter for a medium sized Berber. However you may want to higher a pro, as this task requires skills that even challenge seasoned pros and you will need many tools.

Let us know if you want to continue, because we can probably talk you through it with some pictures as a guide.

currently there, they actually just embedded carpet under the t-molding track that was used in last transition piece).
Highup, the existing doesn’t have seam tape, but ironically it could actually be helpful, let me explain. Berber Carpets tend to split when they are creased into the gully area behind the tackless. As a rule, I like smearing hot glue from a glue gun onto the back edge ( 1/2” wide ) of the carpet, to eliminate the splitting effect. Let it fully dry before cutting off the extra and tucking into the gully. I’ll try to locate some pics.

Latest posts

Back