Common Practice

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rostov Froisen

I just had my floors done with Everlife Smithcliffs Series Waterproof Hybrid Rigid Core Flooring (now there's a mouthful). Anyway, the installers finished up and left - without cleaning the floor. Is this a common practice in the industry? When I bought my car, it shone like bling. I expected the same with the floor.

Without glue or nails or sawdust what exactly about the floor was left in an UNCLEAN way? If the guys were greasy/sweaty and left smears on the surface those can and should be cleaned with something like alchohol wipes. But besides that no, there's no mopping or polishing included in a standard vinyl installation. These product have a MANUFACTURER'S finish layer that is designed to be cleaned with a gentle broom, vacuum or mop.

Any mess they make during their work needs to be cleaned up but they are not require to mop, buff or polish a floating vinyl install.

I just had my floors done with Everlife Smithcliffs Series Waterproof Hybrid Rigid Core Flooring (now there's a mouthful). Anyway, the installers finished up and left - without cleaning the floor. Is this a common practice in the industry? When I bought my car, it shone like bling. I expected the same with the floor.
You get a quick sweep of any scraps, sawdust etc. with my crew. We clean up our mess then ask for my check.

….. and this kids is why I hate residential jobs!

Too many expectations on what the installer is there to do. I already have to wear several different hats to do my job. A French maid costume is & wont be one I’ll wear.

Don’t like it? Take yo ass down the street to Home Depot and see what those morons are willing to do for ya. ✌️

….. and this kids is why I hate residential jobs!

Too many expectations on what the installer is there to do. I already have to wear several different hats to do my job. A French maid costume is & wont be one I’ll wear.

Don’t like it? Take yo ass down the street to Home Depot and see what those morons are willing to do for ya. ✌️

Hey Tom, most of that explanation sounds reasonable to me, and so did the customer’s expectation…….Sometimes the best reaction to issues faced, is to not create a reaction, but to generate a respectful response.

You probably don’t remember David Hunt, from TFP, but he shared some customer service advice years ago and It goes something like this : If you can provide a reasonable explanation to a customer about a service you completed or in this case a service that’s not provided, it will usually be understood by them…… but I get it, residential work is challenging, and that’s why in my 40’s I left for Cat pee empty apartment work.

Back when floating floors were glued together cleaning the floor was part of the installation process. You would glue and strap it one day and clean it the next. Now that everything clicks together all you have to do is to clean up your own sawdust and footprints. Drop cloths, non marking shoes and clean working habits will generally get you 95% of the way there so that all you have to do is a quick sweep or vacuum when you’re done and you’re good to go.

Leaving the customer with a dirty floor just opens the door for them to find something wrong when they are down there themselves cleaning the floor. You know if they find one defect they’re gonna start looking for more. Won’t be long until you walk back into a house with blue tape everywhere and all you had to do to prevent it woulda been to just clean the damn floor.

Not an unreasonable expectation. I’m a soft surface installer (carpet) and we leave the job site with its very first vacuum. I guess the question becomes, what would be the equivalent service for a hard surface ?
Never vacuumed a new carpet in my 40+ years of installing. Never had a customer who expected it.

Pretty sure he was upset the floor wasn’t sparkling clean “like a new car”.

I’m sure there’s more to it than that. Maybe the installers stunk or were messy themselves on a personal level?? Something they did, or didn’t do, left the customer with a less than stellar impression of the job overall.

Never vacuumed a new carpet in my 40+ years of installing. Never had a customer who expected it.

I used to get paid an extra .25/ yd to vacuum so I vacuumed all the time. Couldn’t tell you how many $20 garage sale vacuums I’ve gone through until I stole my wife’s Dyson and made it mine.

The floor had marring, footsteps, skid marks, and sawdust, which made it markedly unsightly. Furthermore, I tried Windex, Simple Green, and the Bona system. Nothing worked until a friend suggested PineSol, which worked using the Bona mop - which is mentioned because when I say the three cleaners I mentioned wouldn't work with hands and knees type scrubbing - let alone just mopping.

I used to do landscaping and couldn't leave the property looking worse than when I found it. Other professions such as carpet, tile, cement, paint, etc. left the jobs looking professional. But hey, I guess laminate/vinyl is different.

Ultimately my wife and I used a Bona mop and Pinesol and the floor looked great. It took 30 - 60 minutes to do the thousand square feet - all without a French maid's costume - but that's not the point. I expected a finish that would require maintenance - not what should have been part of the job.

And to the issue of "looking for" issues. What? People who pay thousands of hard earned dollars don't have the right to point out the obvious. So, if someone steps in dog poo and walks in your house, you can't say anything? Or how about when we moved a recliner and found a transition with a large chunk broken out. Can't say anything?

There is a difference about having expectations of a finished job than looking for knitpicking little problems. Why should a person not have the right to point out the obvious when the installer ignores it? And then there is the salesperson who make such a big deal about how great their finished product will look in a house. If it's going to take so much "extra time", charge an extra $100 or two.

If I ever have another floor done, I will be sure to include the finish in the contract. But than again, it's obvious that the majority of installers couldn't finish a floor because they don't know how to. Alright, let the games begin.

Alright, let the games begin.
You are correct in wanting a floor that is "finished" to your expectations. I my 57 years of flooring I have found some customers going overboard with their expectations. Am I correct in say that you just want a clean floor with no scratches or marks? I'd expect the same thing, just remember the finish on a car and flooring are 2 different animals. A car is suposed to shine where you can see your face and beyond, if you had that in flooring you woud see every little scratch speck of dust that ever hit it. Again I would expect a clean floor and no scratches, or marrs. Personally if it is what you decribe I'd be back after my retailer. If it is one of the box stores they don't take to much pushing to get customer satisfaction.

We only would vacuum (100% commerical) if it was SPECIFIED in the contract. You need a really high end, commercial vacuum to clean up 450,000 square feet of carpet WHILE the finish trades are still creating dust and debris.

Been there done that X50

We're on your side Rostov. I kind of knew the installers must have been degenerate slobs........hence my mention of GREASE-------as in greasy scabs trying to Blitzkrieg through your home and cash that check with as little integrity, effort and TIME as possible. Well, they pushed your install way past the reasonable limit and no one here supports that.

We just needed more info to confirm specifically what your expectations were and what exactly these cave men did.

Never mopped a vinyl floor in 40+ years. Not part of the job.
Did clean up glue a couple times when the customer and/or their dog tracked in onto the new vinyl.

Last edited:
We only would vacuum (100% commerical) if it was SPECIFIED in the contract. You need a really high end, commercial vacuum to clean up 450,000 square feet of carpet WHILE the finish trades are still creating dust and debris.

Been there done that X50
You vacuumed?

Shoot, Union jobs I remember the installers weren’t even allowed to pick up the scraps… Laborers got that job… Whole different trade, whole different union… In New York fights could break out over doing someone else’s work…. Very touchy bunch.😎

You vacuumed?

Shoot, Union jobs I remember the installers weren’t even allowed to pick up the scraps… Laborers got that job… Whole different trade, whole different union… In New York fights could break out over doing someone else’s work…. Very touchy bunch.😎
I worked CT/NY/NJ from 1978-1987. The Carpenters had juridiction over flooring and to our interpretation that included anything and everything related to the install. In certain places we'd patronize the local mob boss by hiring one of their stooges to open boxes, haul off trash and maybe vacuum but that was really rare. Truth be told, those guys for the most part with some notable exceptions DID give us a decent days work and earned their pay. Laborers made about 80% of a floorlayer and it wasn't easy to get apprentices. Therefore a union laborer was something of a bargain IF he pulled his weight.

To be clear, we normally did not vacuum in CA nor back East on large commercial jobs. But when it was written in to the contract we'd have to comply.

Latest posts

Back