Connection problems

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
We have been having connection problems with our A T&T DSL. The rep said the superantispyware would slow connetion speed. Anyone ever hear of that? What do you use for spyware? Nick had recommended that one.

Yes Rusty it does, infact all security programs interfear with internet speed.
The easiest way to tell is to disable all security for your PC then do a speedtest and save the results.
Then do the opposite and see the difference.
Its also worth remembering that your DHCP device or more commonly known as your Router as with all they have built in security features to.
Everything that comes down those wires is inspected as packets of data.
Imagine the ethernet cable has 65000 wires for data to pass along.
Now your DHCP/Router will inspect the packets of data there are 65000 ports for the said data to pass through.
However the data will get held up for inspection at the ports (think of the wire to be simular to a 65000 lane motorway and the 65000 ports like toll gates) so without the correct toll the port will not open, so now the data jumps to the next port and so and so on.
Granted all of that happens in milliseconds of time but those milliseconds make seconds and seconds make minutes and minutes make hours gettin the picture.
Also it may be worth changing DNS servers in your router configuration.
In simple terms the DNS server is like a giant telephone directory and there we have access to 2/3.
Your ISP will automatically asign default ones which aren't always the best.
What the DNS server does is break down www.whatever.com into what numbers it needs to find said address as computers comunicate in binnary code, so if your request goes out and can't be found in the DNS list in your cache on your pc then it goes out to primary DNS then secondary DNS then finally the public DNS.
Have I lost you yet.
I'll stop runing on now so in answer to yor question YES all anti spyware programs will slow down internet speeds, its there for your protection as it handles and inspects packets of data coming into your pc for threats.

I abstain, no spyware no antivirus. Tried some years ago found it invasive and annoying.

Well you all probably know I run Norton 360 with Vista and IE 9 but I cant tell that it is noticeably slow.

I use Avast. Free too. It takes care of the antivirus and SAS does spyware. I use to have SAS running always, which does slow start ups, until Nick mentioned that you only need to use it when you're trouble shooting. Now I just keep it in my bag of tricks for when needed.

Every real computer expert I ever met says to stay away from Norton and McaFee.

And those guys send your where? They send you to where they can make a buck on what ever they can. Does really matter? I don't have security issues myself. But funny thing I see is the people using "freebie" software always having problems here.

I don't believe in flu shots either. Inject me with a virus so I don't get a virus...uh no thanks.

I don't believe in flu shots either. Inject me with a virus so I don't get a virus...uh no thanks.

I got my first flu shot in probably 30 years a couple months ago. I don't know why I did it exactly cept for it was free. Did I get sick, no, am I dead, not yet but maybe pretty soon.

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring.

I use spybot SD for all spyware problems. It blocks against attacks by editing the hosts file. It doesn't slow down anything at all. Don't opt to install tea timer though as it's annoying. It's very good about removing all spyware infections. I think in 10 yrs of using it I've only seen it unable to erase 3 items.

As far as Anti-Virus goes, I swear by ESET's NOD32. It's survived virii that have eaten machines of ours equipped with norton pro, mcafee, avg free, avast, and symantec suites.

IF you're VERY concerned for your network and machines, OR paranoid, I'd recommend getting an untangle box set up. The software is available free of charge, and all you need is a computer with 2 network cards, to throw it on to let it do it's thing on your network. It's as close to bulletproof as I've seen.

Sorry to ramble on, but this is my primary function within the company so it's nice to be able to run sometimes. XD

Latest posts

Back