Connections Corlon adhesive

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
What else will work in a 2' 6" by 5' 4" bathroom?

Base and metal hods down 3 sides, so the adhesion at the tub is the only issue.

Do I really need a gallon of 599 to adhesive to glue down this tiny area?
Customer got a bargain on the material and was told no special adhesive was required?

...................is it?

I'm gluing to a new plywood base that will have a thin screed of Webcrete 95 cement based filler/leveler.

I hate to inform the customer that the adhesive will cost 3 times more than than the small vinyl scrap they purchased for this job.
What other adhesives will work for a small one piece room like this, with this material?
4' 6" by 5' 0" are the max dimensions.

Last edited:
we used to use latex glue to stick down those backings as we didn't get those brand name glues you guys talk about

I've never even used the adhesive that I mentioned, nor installed any Connections Corlon.............. I am way out of the loop.

I was thinking that the Corlon had a asbestos type backing but that one you havemight be different
Never heard of Corlon here since about a hundred years ago :confused:
Like everything else, the product have changed, yet they keep using the same name for it. :rolleyes:
It doesn't have a felt backing anymore.
(by the way, it was 80 years ago :D )

First job I ever did w/ the new backing was over a holiday weekend in a day care center franchise. I only had Taylor 2087. That was 5+ years ago and it is still down. It was about 50 yds. in a kitchen.

I went back about a year later and added another 40+ yards to the same job, dining area this time. It was stuck very well.

So I am not endorsing a multi but.....

Also I believe that any PSA would work using the wetset method.

First job I ever did w/ the new backing was over a holiday weekend in a day care center franchise. I only had Taylor 2087. That was 5+ years ago and it is still down. It was about 50 yds. in a kitchen.

I went back about a year later and added another 40+ yards to the same job, dining area this time. It was stuck very well.

So I am not endorsing a multi but.....

Also I believe that any PSA would work using the wetset method.

I agree with that, just never tried it.
I'll be darned if a local flooring store didn't have a bucket of S-599 in stock............ 3 gallons, plus a partial.
In a bathroom that small, I installed it "set in wet" with about 5+ minutes of flash off........ it flashed while I went outside to clean the trowel......... then it got set in and roled with a hand roller, the second half got glued, then I cleaned the trowel again and set the second half in............ same short flash time.
I may have got the flash time shorter than recommended, but at least I used the right adhesive. Being plywood instead of non porous, I ain't real worried. :D

Any better quality multi-purpose will work fine. The S-599 is a pressure sensitive that can be allowed to tack up or with the case of the Corlon backing it's best to just get it tacky enough for some resistence. There's no reason to go right into it as some tack will make your life much easier with regards to bubbles and cutting seams. I realize this doesn't matter much in a small bathroom over plywood.

There's half a dozen or so pressure sensitive adhesives I believe are interchangeable with the Armstrong S-599. All of them would be in the same price range so we would only substitute as a matter of convenience when the specified product was unavailable------like over a weekend, last minute deal.

I appreciate all that info, incognito. Any reason why they spec a pressure sensitive adhesive for this product if Henry 356 would work?

I appreciate all that info, incognito. Any reason why they spec a pressure sensitive adhesive for this product if Henry 356 would work?

Last I installed the Connections Corlon their spec read to use their brand of multi-purpose or the S-599. I don't recall the Armstrong multi-purpose number because I don't think we've ever used it.

Yes, if multi-purpose is still OK Henry's 356 will be more than OK.

I do prefer the S-599 mostly because that's more what I'm accustomed to.

Last larger size Corlon job I did was about 400 s/y in an ammunition/Kevlar vest testing laboratory and we used the Henry's 256. I was a little impatient with it and tossed it in too wet causing lots of bubbles. The slab was on grade and-----I learned the hard way------basically nonporous because of the hard steel trowelling and sealing. After 2-3 days they all laid flat but it was annoying the piss out of me til I sorted it out.

Beautiful stuff to handle and weld.

Last edited:
Ya'll ever lay into the glue, roll it and pull it back out to flash off? I remember doing that when it was a little humid and with some lino.

Ya'll ever lay into the glue, roll it and pull it back out to flash off? I remember doing that when it was a little humid and with some lino.

yes, in some instances I've done that only I always roll later and not before peeling back

Agree. The Henry's 356 will definitely work for such products. It is a multipurpose brand and can be use for all types of floors. I am not sure where you are going to use this otherwise I can suggest you more. Also you can choose a laminate flooring for your kitchen so that the floor will be more durable and beautiful.

Last edited:
Agree. The Henry's 356 will definitely work for such products. It is a multipurpose brand and can be use for all types of floors. I am not sure where you are going to use this otherwise I can suggest you more.

It was just a 4 1/2' by 5' bathroom over new plywood. I found some Armstrong 599, but like you, others said 356 will work. Good to know.
Welcome to Flooring Forum, Richard.

Latest posts

Back