Custom L.V.T job

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Monfils

Professional
Pro
I did this job the past two days.
Rip out old shag carpet, install underlayment , and
Install Adura and grout.
The metal transitions were not my idea.

image-497692892.jpg

image-225229128.jpg

That is sweet. The only problem with some of these LVT's is the repeat pattern in the floor. The border is nice to but kinda makes the room look smaller.

Nice work Don.

I don't love the colors, textures and contrasting materials in the whole picture but the floorcovering craftsmanship is pleasing to look at. Can I be honest? The "busy" colors and swirling textures of the imitation slate and wood REALLY clash with that wood panel wall and brick. And the (quarry?) tile around the fireplace--------that doesn't go with anything in the room.

Did you have any say in the design/layout/color scheme?

If so, please ignore everything I said.

Last edited:
There is no doubt about it, Don's skill level is awesome. I would have a hard time replicating that.

The metal transitions were not my idea.

I think this statement implies that the OP was expecting some criticism. I will say from a layman's perspective- the install looks good. From my perspective and I have done this more times than I am willing to admit; I get off the floor and at some point between laying the last piece and walking out the door I say to myself that I could have done this or that better and kick myself out the door hoping I've learned something.

What I have learned when dealing with repeating patterns is that culling or sorting by pattern in the preparation phase is critical to a superior install. I would look over my job and if i discover the same pattern being so close together it would bug the crap outta me.

I find that pulling tile from different pile patterns helps to deter from getting close repeats that might be objectionable, even if only to me.

Beside that, I might question the balance. I won't be too critical on this point because I don't know the dimensions but I would prefer a larger piece in front of the hearth at least the width of the border. I think the border there over-powers the cut size of the tile.

No disrespect intended.

lvt-floor-forum-1.jpg

lvt-floor-forum-2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Don
I would agree with FloorMaven on some things
What I have found doing this type of thing is to have the owner present. Things look okay on paper and even lines on the floor where boarders and things go but when one has laid a few tiles things look different. By having the owner present you can then ask would this be better? I always tell the people what I think should happen but I go home and they have to live with it. Just did one recently and we discussed the infill and owner said he wanted it like this. I went back a few days later and changed it. He was away on holiday when I laid it

If an installer is subbing he usually isn't empowered to deal with the customer concerning design options. As a matter-of-fact it's considered speaking out of turn if he doesn't go through the proper channels. Usually wholesale pricing doesn't allow that kind of time investment either.

If an installer is subbing he usually isn't empowered to deal with the customer concerning design options. As a matter-of-fact it's considered speaking out of turn if he doesn't go through the proper channels. Usually wholesale pricing doesn't allow that kind of time investment either.

I am a subby and the owner is usually told to discuss it with me as the way I think. We have found it saves a lot less hassles. Even had one where lady of the house, who was away wanted the vinyl planks laid so you walked across them. I said to Hubby you usually walk along the lines. He rang wifey and the planks got laid so you walked along the lines. Had another which was to be laid on the 45 which doing it there way you walked into the wall. The other 45 walked you into the room
Things look a lot different once you spread a box of tiles around the floor

This was the original layout.
I suggested to the customer to miter the border might look better.
We started with the border, two rows wide and the customer came in and asked if we could add one more row.
The diagram shows a full tile at the fire place.
If we did that, the tile on the opposite side, would have been less than two inches.
The tiles now are centered and balanced.
As far as the colors/ patterns, there was two colors( very similar colors) and some had the identical patterns, just slightly different colors.
With a lot of the same pattern repeat and the fact that I was four tiles short (I went home 15 miles back and forth and brought back some different colors I had)
The customer picked the light color for the diagonal insert. The last tile ( that would have been short) I used the cut out from the insert and had to create the wavy edge to match the others.

I had nothing to do with picking out the colors of the floor, walls or quarry tile.

I am not sure where the wholesale pricing comment came from but, I was paid $6/ sq.ft. for the floor installation, $3.50/ yard to rip up carpet,pad,tackstrip, and staples,
And extra for underlayment installation, moving furniture. If that's wholesale pricing , I could probabally make more working for you as your helper.

image-3756972512.jpg

My statement regarding wholesale pricing is directly related to- 'if an installer is subbing'. I don't know if what you charged is wholesale or retail but I suppose if you were the sub and someone made money on your labor your price would be considered wholesale. Regardless of what you were paid.

My statement regarding wholesale pricing is directly related to- 'if an installer is subbing'. I don't know if what you charged is wholesale or retail but I suppose if you were the sub and someone made money on your labor your price would be considered wholesale. Regardless of what you were paid.

Never heard that "wholesale" term used before just the other day on the FCI site. ;) But I agree.

Business plans require you to determine what pricing tier you will be selling your services. There are four tiers in our business. The generally understood wholesale and retail. You sell your wares to someone who resells them to the consumer. Then there is the discount tier where you sell your services to the wholesaler who resells to the retailer. Then there is the prestige tier where you offer something few offer and above the retail level. I' m not surprised that I'm not the only one that understands this.

To me looking at Dons photo if I was laying the planks on the 45 I would be laying them in the direction from the top right to the bottom left way not the top left to the bottom right. Get what I mean? It would make a difference

Latest posts

Back