Tape those seams

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
My brother just put carpet in a place his Ex's sister lives. Landlord is so cheap, he wouldn't replace the 1972 gold shag. ........so she did. Bought new pad and carpet on the cheap side, and my brother spent a few days doing the removal and installation.
He said there were seams all over the place in the living room, but being shag, you would never know it. The living room was about 16 by 20.
First time I have heard of it, but he said that all the carpet seams were duct taped, not hot seamed. :D
This is how cheap some landlords can be...... matter of fact, that old carpet was re-used shag...... probably removed from another of his rentals.
He said the tape hadn't dried up and was still holding. Obviously it was never stretched, but it's held up over pad for a long time. Thin waffle pad is probably the only thing that allowed this weird installation to hold together.
......and to make Rusty's point, no seam sealer was used. :D

Last edited:
You sure it wasn't sewn seams? Them old timers did use duct tape to cover them whip stitches at one time.

Ya, I did. Latex the stitches first though. Made for a very strong seam actually. I guess that makes me an old timer eh sonny?

Daris

Yep , latex the stitches first . also use to use soap on the backing to make it easier for the needle to push through .

I was just messing with ya on the liquid soap. I never tried bar soap just paraffin. But I guess it would work. I was told many years later that the paraffin stopped the latex from adhereing-who knows, didn't have any problems.
I got into an arguement once with another installer on the job that a hand sewn seam wouldn't hold to a power stretcher. I sewed on up latexed it and duct taped it and proved hi wrong. He said He had never seen on taped like that before.
I did a hand sew on a woven product once and used the wet seam tape to back up the sewing. Guess what? I got seam peaking from the tape being under the seam. Sometimes you just can't win.

Daris

This tape?

pin or wet tape 016.JPG

pin or wet tape 013.JPG

That's the crap . hated it . didn't appreciate the porcupine putting holes in my fingers either . :D

Ever try cutting open seams done with pin tape? Yow :eek: I had a highrise hallway where all the condo doors were done like that. Course they made non-pin tape as well.:D

Nope thats not the tape. Mine didn't have the pins in it. I have used the pin tape many times though. Thats how we used to do doorway joins if we didn't or couldn't tip the carpet out into the hall. Made the carpet peak a little bit, porkyed the hell out of it. stay nailed it for about 20 minutes pulled the stays and went home. That was when working into the door.
The old Conso tape didn't have the problem of the scrim coming off the tape.
Daris

Latest posts

Back