Dumb questions of the day

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csmott

I want to get rid of my gross carpet and replace it with hard wood. I have no skill in this area so I don't think I want to use real hardwood. First question is that prego stuff any good? Is prego considered laminate?

I have children and I want something that is going to hold up for at least 15 years. Any suggestions?

I appreciate that but for me the equipment required and the skill required exceed my abilities. I was thinking laminate because I was under the impression that it would be a bit easier

They make click together and glue together prefinished wood flooring that's installed as a floating system like the laminates. Hardwood can scratch easier than laminates, but scratches, dings and dents in hardwood create character. In laminate flooring, (Pergo) those same things might be considered or looked upon as damage.
That said, if you see a laminate floor that's priced at $1.50 per sq foot, and another that's $4.25 per sq foot, they are not the same. The higher priced ones can be very durable and are constructed differently than the cheap ones.
Shaw, through Carpet One stores sells a hand scraped look hickory floor that is extremely tough stuff. It's a glue together floor with a composite center. (sawdust) :D
Our local Carpet One has that in their store from the front doorway and 50 feet into the store. It's been there 12+ years and still looks great.
It' might be a bit slower and more difficult than laminate to install because of the gluing process... mainly making sure the boards stay snugged up and don't move on you after you tap them together.

Latest posts

Back