Flooring pictures

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
white house carpet

But like any house, I suppose, the White House requires regular maintenance and upkeep. The renovations taking place over a two-to-three-week span include upgrades to the 27-year-old HVAC system ($1.965 million), new carpet ($1.17 million), and new paint ($275,000), in addition to upgrades to the IT systems and restorations to the 64-year-old South Portico steps. Crews are working around the clock to complete everything in a timely fashion.
renovations
renovations

Before you go accusing President Trump of being a big spender, however, it’s important to note that the funds for the HVAC renovations were approved three years ago, and the Obamas just never moved forward with the massive project. Likewise, the cost of the new carpet and paint were already accounted for in this year’s budget.
And according to those privileged enough to frequent the 217-year-old mansion on a regular basis, the White House has been in need of some upgrades for quite some time. For instance, recent flash-flooding in the Washington, D.C., area uncovered a serious ceiling leak problem, which caused a”foul odor” and required strategically-placed trash cans to catch the drips. In addition, the Oval Office has become the victim of a common house fly infestation, requiring the use of bug zappers.
renovations
renovations

Because the overhaul requires much of the White House to be completely emptied, President Trump is working remotely from New York during the project, while his staff has moved to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, next door to the White House. But it’s not uncommon for renovations to be scheduled while U.S. presidents are away:
https://colorado.ourcommunitynow.com/2017/08/18/white-house-undergoes-renovations/
.and
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/aug/08/donald-trump/renovations-Trump-out-White-House/

One more.
The Congressional Financial Services and Appropriations Act of 2008 estimated that White House repairs and upkeep would cost $1.6 million annually, however, the assessed needs for each year vary and could amount to less or more than the $1.6 million figure. And if a president goes over the allocated amount with frivolous improvements beyond what’s deemed required, it is up to him to foot the difference in the bill.
According to that, if he wants the name TRUMP in 4 foot tall gold leaf letters above the entrance to the oval office he'll have top pay that out of his own pocket.

Last edited:
no expansion joint

expansion joint.jpg

Use to happen in the Bowling Alleys when the drum sander would explode into fire the length of the lane , 3 wide , and set off the sprinkler system . Looked like a roller coaster .

If the floor wasn't hollow underneath those waves it looks like it would be a cool obstacle course of sorts.

My friend installed his indoor/outdoor carpeting. No carpet pad because he couldn't afford it. I think this was 37cents a sqft. It's lying in somewhat loosely except for at the middle seam. It was two pieces of 12'x14'. He hasn't quite figured out the seams for the other carpet in the bedroom.
tumblr_ovsimi6uL61qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovsimi6uL61qkwd9ao2_1280.jpg

The floor itself warps a bit so it shows through the carpet. It also seems to bubble just a teeny bit in some spots because furniture pulled it when it was moved.

Frayed stuff near the storm door is the old nasty carpet that was pulled up. Bedroom carpet is overlapping at the other doorway.
tumblr_ovsimi6uL61qkwd9ao3_1280.jpg

This is going in to the other bedroom that doesn't have carpet yet.
tumblr_ovsimi6uL61qkwd9ao4_1280.jpg

If it's indoor/outdoor carpet you can't use pad anyway. If it's really a low loop commercial type carpet you can, but the pad must be thin and dense.
Without pad the carpet has less chance of wrinkling, so I suppose that's a plus.
After the carpet had layed out for a day or two to relax, it might be possible to sort of push the wrinkles to the far side of the room.

If it's indoor/outdoor carpet you can't use pad anyway. If it's really a low loop commercial type carpet you can, but the pad must be thin and dense.
Without pad the carpet has less chance of wrinkling, so I suppose that's a plus.
After the carpet had layed out for a day or two to relax, it might be possible to sort of push the wrinkles to the far side of the room.

I don't know much on the loops. I just know that it is incredibly thin and light, but seems nice and sturdy and it has a nice texture to it. Doesn't feel like the astroturf they had near it. LOL.

He might want to put some padding under the carpet in the bedroom just to make the floor softer. It is still low pile carpet, but it is thicker than the indoor/outdoor stuff. He's trying to figure out the best way to bridge them without making a tripping hazard.

I think it turned out pretty nice considering it was so cheap per sqft. And there was the additional 10% off for military discount.

Rub your hand briskly on the lightweight carpet and let me know how it feels. :D
I think you are describing what's known as a unitary backed product, which means the face and the back of the material are all a single unit. It's used for walkways, decks and on small boats sometimes. Being it has no added backing for strength, so it's usually glued down. If it's not glued down I can see it growing over time in the walking areas with the most traffic. If it is glued down and ever needs to be removed from a wood surface..................... well then, I never ever brought up the idea of adhesive. Got that? :D

Latest posts

Back