Harbor Freight

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually buy their tools in tandem. This is because the first one breaks so fast, you'll need a replacement quickly. I can't tell you how many of their air tools I've tossed after one or two uses.

I usually buy their tools in tandem. This is because the first one breaks so fast, you'll need a replacement quickly. I can't tell you how many of their air tools I've tossed after one or two uses.

You can buy air tools at Walmart just about as cheap and they will replace them.

I bought their flooring nailer which has worked fine....one downside to this tool is that HF does not have replacement parts for it, o rings, seals, etc. I also have the HF oscillating multi tool which I'm trying to kill so that I can upgrade to a Bosch. I bought their hammer drill which worked fine too. As others have said sometimes a HF tool can be a 'diamond in the rough'. With HF don't set your expectations too high. One more, I bought the HF random orbital sander which is ok but ocassionally cuts out (overheated?) and restarts after cooling down.
Also, watch out when the cashier wants to sell you an extended warranty. I bought the extended warranty for the flooring nailer when the cashier said it only had a 90 day warranty. When I got home and read the owner's manual it stated that the warranty for professional usage or rental is 90 days otherwise (DIY use) 1 year.

I purchased a pneumatic orbital air sander from them, plugged it in, and within a minute, the head shot off (bolt sheered off) and before I knew it, I had more body damage than when I started.

I had borrowed a buddy's Harbor Freight brad nailer to install some baseboards. Before installing two sticks, the first one broke in my hands, so fortunately he gave me his second nailer. That one broke before I finished that one room. I tossed that one, drove home and got my Bostitch brad nailer, and finished up the remaining seven rooms, with no problems at all.

I then purchased a small portable air compressor from HF, to install baseboards on a small job. Before it aired up completely, the motor took a dump. I returned home, picked up my Craftsman air compressor and completed the job.

Try as I might, I just don't have much luck with their junk.

Most of what I buy at HF is non power hand tools and have worked just fine. I've bough several power and air tools from them and haven't had any problems with them. So far, so good. Though I will say, if it's a tool that I use pretty much daily, I buy a better quality tool.

I bought a couple blades from them, oscillating and 10 inch for saws which are ok. And a couple tool bags. I'ts all chinese but what isn't these days besides German tools.

I bought a pin nailer (1st purchase from HF). Name brand pinners run over $70 with some 3x that. I paid $25 at HF. I've been using it a lot and haven't had a problem. It hasn't jammed once.

Continues to be hit or miss with HF. They're still in business so there must be more hits than misses. I also bought their pneumatic narrow crown stapler which has worked just fine. I got it to staple down the vapor retarder under my new hardwood flooring. Great for attaching carpet pads too. Didn't pay too much so if it dies I've gotten my money's worth. Even though HF stuff may not last long it can be a good deal if you need a tool for a one time project.

Not a good idea to put holes in the retarder Jim.

How do you keep it flat? I'm using Aquabar B. Also, the cleats used to nail the floor boards will put holes in it. Aquabar tech support said stapling is acceptable. They have done studies to calculate how much the staple and nail holes affect the Aquabar's performance and the affect is negligible.

I use tar paper myself , flip it and it lays flat .

If they say it is ok , go for it . Me, I don't believe a word any of these mills,[etc]. tell you .

I use tar paper myself , flip it and it lays flat .

If they say it is ok , go for it . Me, I don't believe a word any of these mills,[etc]. tell you .

What about the holes the flooring nailer makes? Also, I had read an article concerning using tar paper in an indoor situation. I know it's been used for a long time for this application and will probably continue to be used this way. The Aquabar has the tar paper between 2 sheets of kraft type paper...nice and clean to work with, no odor, no marks on walls, easy to write on, etc. Do I sound like I work for the company? I don't. I talked to a flooring installer before I decided to do the installation myself and he said that he didn't use a moisture retarder.

I used Aquabar b before , I wasn't impressed . It was just like rosin paper to me .
The tar paper has a better chance of sealing the holes the nailer makes .

If the installer don't use anything i wouldn't believe anything he said .

What did it say about tar paper ?

I used Aquabar b before , I wasn't impressed . It was just like rosin paper to me .
The tar paper has a better chance of sealing the holes the nailer makes .

If the installer don't use anything i wouldn't believe anything he said .

What did it say about tar paper ?

I don't understand you last question.

I didn't do business with the installer....he was also the retailer....I didn't buy anything from him either....his flooring price kept changing.

Post #13

I had read an article concerning using tar paper in an indoor situation.

It said that at some point that using tar paper indoors might be deemed to be a health hazard ala loose fiberglass, the fiberglass blankets tacked on the inside of a/c duct work,and the formaldehyde in MDF.

Everything seems to be a health hazard, nowadays. I was talking to a 60 year old installer whose wife is 23. Now, that's a health hazard. :eek::D

Who's health is it a hazard to? My grandfather used to say that when a guy that age marries a gal her age it's like buying a book for all his friends to read.

Latest posts

Back