Power Stretcher

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
If you were going to buy a new power stretcher, what would you buy? I was asked that question and I really don't know. I bought a new Crain years ago that was a poor design, but I understand they fixed the problem. I have used a Roberts Jr. for years, that I bought used at a pawn shop for $100. I figure if you were doing mostly commercial, you might want a Sr. Do you like the swivel head? I have never used one.

As a side question, has anyone else ever used the Crain with the square shaft and square tube? That was the type I bought new in the early 80s. If things were not completely square, the shaft would bind in the tube. The Crain rep admitted that is was a bad design, but Crain would not replace it. I do like the Crain poles. Do the newer aluminum poles bend too easy?

I have a Roberts Junior swivel head that I bought maybe 20 years ago. I definitely like the Roberts but the swivel head can sometime be a PIA. It will swivel each time you pick it up and then you have to adjust it. It is nice when working in bay windows though or where you want to have an angle but have it parallel to the wall.
Would I buy it again? Yes!
The old square head from Crain was a nice stretcher but the binding was a problem. Most of the time it was the lock that was causing it. readjust the lock and you were good to go.
The old Kintrim{Gundlach now} was a good stretcher also.

Daris

The Crain rep had me remove the lock. It helped but if the stretcher wasn't perfectly flat on a flat floor, it would bind. I still have mine but haven't used it for years. I understand that there was a fix for it, but Crain made you buy the fix.

I like my Roberts swivel with the lock on the handle that keeps your stretch in place.

I like my Roberts swivel with the lock on the handle that keeps your stretch in place.

That's the only one I've ever owned. I really like the way it works, especially the ratchet lock.......... just don't ever slam it down and get your finger stuck between the lever.......... because to unlock it, you have to push the handle down, further compressing your finger, after you hit the release lever. :eek:
I learned quick that there are better places to hold onto the handle. ;)

The decorative looking black plastic hand grip that's screwed onto the stretcher head is flimsy. Mine cracked, so I filled the hollow with fiberglass impregnated body filler. No cracky anymore.

How do you know bout the locking handle?
My hand grip plate broke also.

Daris
.....because it came with one? :eek: It's a 1987 model. Did they come without that feature? I can't remember back that far.
There is a body filler that's called Kitty Hair. It's for fiberglass body repairs and really bad rust when something isn't worth fixing correctly. It's pretty much a can of fiberglass resin with fiberglass matting blended in. .....think toxic hairball. Great for a void filler like that hand grip. They could have made it stronger without much cost. It lasted a long time before cracked. Other than that, zero problems with it.

Latest posts

Back