Have you ever put LVP on a curved step

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Curious how you'd finish off the edge with Coretec or some other plank flooring.

Attachments

• PXL_20230726_214034210.jpg
    PXL_20230726_214034210.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 26
The stair nosing can be metal, rubber or vinyl. You will have to make (inside) relief cuts to bend the material. I've done many linear feet of curved steps. Normally we use vinyl. Rubber is a better choice and a higher cost. I cant recall such a sharp curve though. First thought go to the many school stages with about 3-5 30'-40' wide steps up but it's a very modest radius so mostly just warm the vinyl and dont even require relief cuts.

Attachments

• DSCF1039.JPG
    DSCF1039.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
The stair nosing can be metal, rubber or vinyl. You will have to make (inside) relief cuts to bend the material. I've done many linear feet of curved steps. Normally we use vinyl. Rubber is a better choice and a higher cost. I cant recall such a sharp curve though. First thought go to the many school stages with about 3-5 30'-40' wide steps up but it's a very modest radius so mostly just warm the vinyl and dont even require relief cuts.
Never seen anything like that before.
I have ideas in my head but they're fighting to get out. 🫣

Last edited:
Never seen anything like that before.
I have ideas in my head but they're fighting to get out. 🫣
Here's another few photos. Real dirty iphone lens. It fell into the cove base pail. Anyways, I had to square up the concrete step for the cheap plastic nosing.

Attachments

• DSCF1023.JPG
    DSCF1023.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1014.JPG
    DSCF1014.JPG
  • DSCF1027.JPG
    DSCF1027.JPG
  • DSCF1024.JPG
    DSCF1024.JPG
  • DSCF1021.JPG
    DSCF1021.JPG
I agree that's too tight a radius. I can't imagine how you could make that look good outside of a custom molded bullnose...

Maybe build a mock step with the same dimensions and radius, then nail one end of the bullnose down and heat and stretch the crap out of it around the circle, then let it cool. I don't think that would work and even if it did it's a lot of work for something that's gonna look like crap anyway... Go with Oak... :cool:

I'm trying to think if you could custom build a custom nose piece, it could be applied to the face of the tread. I'm thinking like a 1 1/4 inch tall piece of oak 3/8 of an inch wide, steam bend it to that radius. You'd have to be careful but if you applied that trim piece so that it extended 1/4 inch above the tread surface, you could then make a pattern and flush fit the LVP to that edge.
I bought a Powerball ticket tonight. If I win, I'm going to build a shop and put a steam bending chamber in it. Maybe then, I'll do that set of stairs for free just because I'm a nice guy. 😁
Now if I don't win, then they're not gettin' any stairs.
I suppose a guy could make a pattern of the stair out of 3/4 inch plywood, then heat up a piece of flat steel red hot, then bend it around the pattern and you'd end up with a 1/4" steel edge which you could screw to the existing nose.
You could have the metal polished and blued or powder coated........
Oh my goodness the possibilities are endless. 🤯
It's been a long week I should probably take a nap 😁
I sure wish I had a shop and a bunch of tools that I don't have. It would be kind of fun tinkering around with ideas and see what could be handmade in a situation like this. I know if you had somebody build it it would be outrageously expensive.

Last edited:
That’s no curve that’s a half circle!

I would probably suggest using real wood as a nose for the curve steps and bend the wood in a steam chamber and you’d have to make that. I used air conditioning duct work for my last steam chamber and I sold the steamer my wife threw away so I don’t have that anymore good luck

I used air conditioning duct work for my last steam chamber and I sold the steamer my wife threw away so I don’t have that anymore good luck

That’s genius!

That’s a pretty tight bend for wood. You gotta have a form, clamps n all that stuff to bend and even then the wood may split while bending it. Not saying it can’t be done but if this is your first time I’d prolly go for gluing, cutting and routing raw wood to make one fit as opposed to steaming one and bending it into shape.

I gotta dig through my old phone cus I have some pics of curved stair nose I made.

That’s genius!

That’s a pretty tight bend for wood. You gotta have a form, clamps n all that stuff to bend and even then the wood may split while bending it. Not saying it can’t be done but if this is your first time I’d prolly go for gluing, cutting and routing raw wood to make one fit as opposed to steaming one and bending it into shape.

I gotta dig through my old phone cus I have some pics of curved stair nose I made.
That's why I wish I had a shop to play with this sort of thing. I've watched people pull wood out of a steam chamber and bend it and it's amazing. It just looks like something that can't be done..... But it's done. If you set up a jig, I suppose you could laminate together two quarter or 3/8 in thick pieces to make the nose of course you need a lot of clamps.....
... You can never have too many clamps 😁

Latest posts

Back