Is this installation board gapping complain-worthy?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrredears

Hi all, we have a contractor installing some engineered 8 inch plank oak flooring in my condo and I'm worried he's not doing a good job, as in there are occasional board gaps that I believe are too large. I'm posting pics/video below to see if you agree? They are big enough for me to insert my nail or more. Am I being too sensitive or is the gapping enough to complain about?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2485.jpeg
    IMG_2485.jpeg
    806.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2484.jpeg
    IMG_2484.jpeg
    938.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2479.jpeg
    IMG_2479.jpeg
    856.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2477.jpeg
    IMG_2477.jpeg
    937.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2470.jpeg
    IMG_2470.jpeg
    887.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the response. Floating but with glue between the tongue and groove. The installer says that it can't be fixed it can only be removed and replaced due to the glue between the boards installation. I've posted a video on youtube for more context. There may be more gaps like this, will need to do a more thorough check, but even with what I see here, does it merit complaint?

What product are you having installed? I see some of the butt joints are unevenly gapped. Is that due to poor milling? Or maybe a mediocre installer that didn’t get the floor racked properly? Both?

What does the floor look like from a standing position? Pics? Can you fit a credit card in the gaps?

It's a good brand. Lauzon Napa. The product webpage is linked here . Yes you can fit a credit card in some of the gaps. I don't think its a milling issue (mostly because of the brand, it's not cheap). Seems he didn't get the floor racked properly. I've posted a video on youtube which gives a more complete perspective (linked below)

Looks like he's put those joints fairly tight but one side of the butt joints is angled----not square. All of the joints highlighted in the video seem to show slightly out of square ends on the plank which will result in a gap. Can you slide the credit card all the way across the opening or only on one side?

The installer can STOP here if he finds such a condition and he's got a few choices

1. reject (cull) the board and use that out of square end on a cut------wasting the balance piece that otherwise is used in a subsequent row

2. Reject the entire lot if culling will be excessive and call the manufacturer for replacement cartons of the same production run.

3. continue installing and try cleaning up the tongue/groove mechanism to improve the joint appearance allowing a tighter fit. That usually involves extra pressure with the rubber mallet and pounding scrap-------pound the hell out of it til the joint closes.

4. fill the gaps with matching wood putty BEFORE the customer notices-----usually involves a dab stain/marker/wax. It's an art not science.

Thanks for the responses all. The consensus seems to be that the boards are not properly aligned and since I'm pretty sure it's not a milling issue, that leaves installation quality as the culprit. It seems on on solid footing to complain about it. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back