Looking For A Stair Wizard

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome .
Be careful with it the first time you use it . check to make sure the stringers are straight .

Very few stringers around here are straight . they either bow in a little in the middle of the step or bow out . You can have 3 different measurements on the tread .

That's why I use the fein tool and literally insert the tread into the stringer.

That's why I use the fein tool and literally insert the tread into the stringer.

Thats a bit more work, and getting a rounded cut at the nosing perfect is tough. Do it on sheetrocked walls but not stringers, i'd have to double up the price.

I make a straight cut on the nose . clamp 3 boards together with two 15" hand squeeze clamps and throw the stairmaster on it. cut them on a 2 degree angle .

I make a straight cut on the nose . clamp 3 boards together with two 15" hand squeeze clamps and throw the stairmaster on it. cut them on a 2 degree angle .

Gotcha, but I still ain't going to cut out all the stringers unless that want to pay like 200 ducats a piece.

One job is real stair treads. The steps are not nearly code so I can't cut off all the nosing on the original step that over hangs the riser. Gonna have to build it out.

The tread depth remains the same whether you cut the noses off or build out the risers.

Right, thank you. These steps hardly are the size of my foot. Not sure they are code so if I cut the nose off I doubt they would be code.

Ernesto said:
Not sure they are code so if I cut the nose off I doubt they would be code.

The depth is measured from vertical plane to vertical plane so it remains the same even if you remove all nosings or build out all risers. Many cities have updated their code to 9" minimum. The only way to bring a staircase to code would be to increase the overall run, otherwise there's nothing you can do. I always check my staircases before covering and include a disclaimer that Floorcovering will not bring the staircase up to current building codes.

image-2338957959.jpg

Yea, the steps land right in front of the front door so increasing the run is out of the question.

Latest posts

Back