Manufactured Home (sub)Floor and best materials

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soe

My dad lives in a manufactured home (built 2000) and the carpet is just plain nasty. I want to replace it, but not spend a lot because he's on a fixed income and because "investment-wise" it just doesn't make sense. I just want it to be clean!

I had originally thought to do the master bedroom and living room in a peel and stick vinyl wood plank and carpet the other 2 bedrooms (there are pets so not having carpet everywhere would be nice) - about 900 sq ft of floor covering to replace. BUT THEN . . . .

. . . . I pulled up some of the carpet and discovered 1/4 inch gaps between the plywood flooring. Now, the ply itself looks pretty decent (apart from the millions of staples and, of course, the tack strips) and it looks like 1/2" ply on top of another 1/2" ply.

The gaps seem like they would be a problem for peel and stick vinyl plank (another option was sheet vinyl which is down in the kitchen and bathrooms), but it seems like sheet vinyl would be even worse than vinyl planks over these gaps (I don't know how they handled the gaps in the kitchen/bathrooms).

I've thought about the click and lock laminate or the Allure vinyl but I don't want to have to buy padding for under a click and lock floor and the Allure (peel and stick/lock) is too expensive (I'd like to keep the price below $1/sq ft).

I *could* just go with cheap carpet throughout, but that raises another question. The current carpet doesn't go under the baseboards because I guess manufactured homes don't really have baseboards(?). The current carpet is pulling away from the walls very badly - how can I address this in having a new carpet installed? Should I add 1/4" rounds throughout?

The 1/4" gap between the ply subfloor is really throwing me off here! Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I've refinished hardwood floors and laid tile, but never dealt with a manufactured home floor before!

I dont get the 1/4 inch gap between plywood. Do you mean between sheets?
Allure in a manufactured home is just asking for trouble IMO. Unless you put in breaks in doorways.

Under a buck a foot? Get real.

soe said:
(I'd like to keep the price below $1/sq ft).
The current carpet doesn't go under the baseboards because I guess manufactured homes don't really have baseboards(?).

The cheapest carpet is near $1 sf, add cushion and install. Maybe you can buy some used laminate on Craigslist?

I do a bunch of sheet vinyl repair work for Cavco. They build a nice house and they do use baseboards.

The cheapest carpet is near $1 sf, add cushion and install. Maybe you can buy some used laminate on Craigslist?

I do a bunch of sheet vinyl repair work for Cavco. They build a nice house and they do use baseboards.

And sheetrock!

You can get laminate at Lowes for
$.68/sq and the padding is $.25/sq. You can float it right over those 1/4" gaps no worries. Made sure there aren't any deviations in the subfloor and you should get a while out of it.

I have a mobile home vacation home which is in dire need of new flooring. If you can hold off until "Black Friday" (the day after Thanksgiving), both Costco and Sams Club discounts really great flooring with the padding already mounted for about $1.25 a square foot. This is what I'm planning on doing.

I have a mobile home vacation home which is in dire need of new flooring. If you can hold off until "Black Friday" (the day after Thanksgiving), both Costco and Sams Club discounts really great flooring with the padding already mounted for about $1.25 a square foot. This is what I'm planning on doing.

The Costco one is better than Sams. Costco's Harmonics is made in the Quickstep mill for Costco. When you order matching transitions they come with the little cutter like Quickstep.

The boxes used to say Quickstep on them untill Mohawk bought them. Then it said Mohawk for awhile I guess untill locals complained because people figured it out and complained to the reps. Has the UNICLIC locking mechanism and attached cusion that saves you money verses buying cheapo rolls of underlayment at BOX STORES. lol

I've literally installed tens of thousands of sqft Harmonics with zero complaints.

They do have the newer 5 inch micro beveled plank as well as the old first generation 7.5 inch square edges.

Like Havasu says, you can't beat that sale. Thats when I get tons of calls for installs. Matter of fact I installed like over 4,000 sqft of it so far this year. Just now finished a 700 footer today.

They can hardly keep the Sunset Acacia in stock.

You can get laminate at Lowes for
$.68/sq and the padding is $.25/sq. You can float it right over those 1/4" gaps no worries. Made sure there aren't any deviations in the subfloor and you should get a while out of it.

.......just don't spill a glass of water on 68 cent laminate, because it's worth ............68 cents. ;)

I'd say to just slap in some cheap carpet and be done with it. No floor leveling, no worrys about those gaps in the plywood.
How long do you expect the new flooring to hold up? If the original carpet managed to make it 13 years, any new carpet can last 10......... if installed correctly. However, if you can afford it, would suggest going a couple steps above "any" carpet. ;)
The stuff that came new in that place was most likely supplied by the home manufacturer. ..............and that stuff is as cheaply made as carpet gets.
New, cheap carpet can mat down and the yarns can untwist over time, but if it stays clean and gets vacuumed it will hold up decently if installed properly.
Hunting down the cheapest installer can guarantee the carpet will lose half of it's life. Insist that the installer seals the seam edges I have seen way to many repairs that I could not do because the seam edges came apart. Once that happens............ either correct a seam failure early, or have plenty of extra carpet available for the repairs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back