Measuring for wide LVP

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day if the customer wanted it 1/4 turned I would have routed grooves and splined the hallway so it could be done without needing a transition. Woulda even replicated the micro bevel on my cut pieces. Nothin but fun!

To me consistency is key. Whatever randomness, or pattern, your layout has going on in the main areas has to be maintained throughout. You can’t be going random stagger in the living room then switch up to a subway set in the hallway because it saves you 8 planks then follow up with a 1/4 plank running bond in the kitchen. It’s gotta look consistent throughout. If you gotta pull some bullshit to save the day, that’s what closets are for, not the hallway.
I just draw the picturegrams.
Someone else sells it, someone else installs it.

I toss in my two cents.
....I should probably toss in my $15 bucks so what I draw turns out the way that intended it to look.

Sadly, faster and easier installation overrides best method. 🙄

I toss in my two cents.
....I should probably toss in my $15 bucks so what I draw turns out the way that intended it to look.

Sadly, faster and easier installation overrides best

I hear ya. You can’t beat the juggernaut, all you can do is slow down the juggernaut.

I toss in my two cents.

Sadly, faster and easier installation overrides best method. 🙄
You could specify the difference in laying it shortways or longways. It's a math problem. With smaller planks/tiles we're really just working off a percentage of the actual square footage. But with 9" wide by 5' long you can very easily figure out the exact minimum and maximum number of planks/cartons depending on how you start. Right?

I've prided myself on accuracy but these wider planks just became popular so I'm changing my methodology. Up till now, it's worked just fine.
I've measured up each room, subtracted about 1/2 of the space occupied by cabinets and bathtubs. I've never included the wall dementions. Again, I've never had issues with the figures..... And only this one has run short. The shop owner had one of his measures go a little short with this same product.
On the large home I just drew up, I measured three important widths in the home and when dividing by 9", it was nearly exact. If it didn't go right, we could have been off by 50 to 60 square feet...... So we added enough to cover one extra plank the entire length of the house. That's about 3 boxes. He added his percentage plus 3 more boxes.
I included the wall thickness in the width this time when calculating SQ feet. I'm going to start doing that on everything from now on.

Latest posts

Back