New Installation Standards

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Roland,

Haven't seen you since Surfaces. The ANSI S-600 is nearly ready for public review. That means everybody can read through it and express their opinions to the committee before it becomes a standard. The committee will meet and address every comment. I will post that information as soon as I know when it is available.

Daniel

Do you think they will find some way to let installers know that there are standards? I would guess that 80-90% of installers aren't aware of the current standards. I was not aware of them until I started participating in forums. I would bet that most retailers aren't aware of them either. Maybe the mills should send a free copy to each retailer. Then, maybe it would filter down to installers.

Do you think they will find some way to let installers know that there are standards? I would guess that 80-90% of installers aren't aware of the current standards. I was not aware of them until I started participating in forums. I would bet that most retailers aren't aware of them either. Maybe the mills should send a free copy to each retailer. Then, maybe it would filter down to installers.

Jheeeezh! Most of us (here) have been discussing this same issue for about ten years now. I doub't anything will ever change. It is much easier to bury one's head in the sand than it is to be held to any kind of a standard.:)

Last year I gave a seminar in Kansas City and the first thing I asked was how many of the guys there were familiar with the TCNA Handbook. There were about twenty-six installers there and a few managers. Only two guys knew what the hell I was talking about.:)

Jheeeezh! Most of us (here) have been discussing this same issue for about ten years now. I doub't anything will ever change. It is much easier to bury one's head in the sand than it is to be held to any kind of a standard.:)

Last year I gave a seminar in Kansas City and the first thing I asked was how many of the guys there were familiar with the TCNA Handbook. There were about twenty-six installers there and a few managers. Only two guys knew what the hell I was talking about.:)

I could google it, but that would be cheating.
.....ummmm ....what's TCNA stand for?

But don't you think, if the mills want standards followed, they should make sure retailers and installers know that they exist.

I could google it, but that would be cheating.
.....ummmm ....what's TCNA stand for?
Tile Council of North America. I'm ashamed of you.
I know what CFI and CRI stand for.

But don't you think, if the mills want standards followed, they should make sure retailers and installers know that they exist.
And that has always been the problem. It has been suggested for years that manufacturers (at the very least) place a flyer inside of every roll of carpet and every box of wood and tile informing the reader that standards do exist in all areas of installation and that those standards should be followed. Warranties (useless as they are) should hinge on following the specs. The manufacturers should strongly recommend that professional installers be used.

Tile Council of North America. I'm ashamed of you.
I know what CFI and CRI stand for.

Me too. :D
I fitted some deep burgundy carpet in a garage today, loose layed in length and stretched in width. :eek:
So ..............I used tackstrip on the two side walls, and on the other two ends where the carpet butted to ceramic tile, I cut and sealed the edges then used heavy duty double faced tape to hold the edge down.
I had to get creative since the customer didn't want it glued in.
Looks pretty nice now with the burgundy model A roadster and the burgundy Vette parked on it.
He also had a new burgundy Maytag washer and dryer pair installed today. I told him he needs a couple of oval Ford emblems on them so they match the Model A. :D

I was such a hack today. :D

Last edited:
Would suggest you don't really use that ~ let's just keep it between us ...

Tia

It's OK............ first hack episode since '87, so I'm a really proud hacker today.
Customer knows of this 'experimantal' and custom install. Since he has two cars, one will always be a paperweight. The model A was a second place winner at the Portland Auto show a few years back............ it leaves the garage about 3 times per year. The Vette is late model, but rarely leaves the garage.
I have no worries, and neither does he. I told him to keep in touch and let me know how it's workin for him.
My hacking is cool on all counts. :cool:

Latest posts

Back