Opinion 2

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Permitless Open Carry

As the number of states allowing permitless open carry increases, I believe it is now ten and should soon be eleven, I find myself in a quandary.
As much as I believe everyone should have the right to open carry, and it is connected to the 2nd amendment right to bear arms, there are some people that we all know that have no idea of gun safety.
I realize that the training required to get a CCW is minimal at best, but some carrying in permitless states will have no training at all. Some will carry a gun and have no idea how safeties work, or even how to rack a gun. They will not know to check the chamber after they remove the magazine, to be sure it is unloaded.
Many states require some kind of hunter safety course before issuing a hunting license. So where does that leave us?
But, if any kind of training would be required it MUST be free and easily accessible to all. Too bad that most schools no longer have gun safety classes like those available in 4H and Boy Scouts.
I grew up hunting, starting at age eight and was well-versed in gun safety before I was allowed to hunt. Because of the politically correct crowd, that doesn’t happen much anymore.
I am not sure that there is an answer. Just something to ponder.

I think if a person decides to carry, there ought to be some sort of basic class required. I'm sure most people don't have a clue as to the legal issues that would arise once a weapon is drawn or used. Mainly tho, when it can used, and when it absolutely cannot be used. Most people carry for personal protection, but I know that there will be a few out there that would like to carry for the cowboy justice and macho factor.
I don't think open carry or concealed carry is a bright idea for a first time gun purchaser. I think a person ought to get really, really, comfortable handling a gun before deciding to carry it for self defense. Super cheap or free gun classes would be a good thing for anyone, but especially new gun owners.

I took a CCW class last December. It was a joke as far as teaching anything. The actual class time was less than two hours. Then we went to the range and shot 20 practice rounds and 20 that counted. Probably ten groups and the targets were not changed all day. They had no idea where your shots were hitting. There was woman in my group who had never shot a gun before. The range instructor helped her load and fire. One young woman, at I think 21 feet, kept hitting the ground. The sheriff said that no one had ever failed. He said he had an 84 year old woman who had never fired a gun before and she passed.

I took a CCW class last December. It was a joke as far as teaching anything. The actual class time was less than two hours. Then we went to the range and shot 20 practice rounds and 20 that counted. Probably ten groups and the targets were not changed all day. They had no idea where your shots were hitting. There was woman in my group who had never shot a gun before. The range instructor helped her load and fire. One young woman, at I think 21 feet, kept hitting the ground. The sheriff said that no one had ever failed. He said he had an 84 year old woman who had never fired a gun before and she passed.
I think maybe there ought to be a "how to operate a gun" class for people that inept. You'd think that shooting so poorly, a person would be scared to ever have one in the home.
Maybe they shouldn't allow a ccw permit unless a person has demonstrated at least some basic shooting and gun handling skills.
...so they don't shoot their own foot off while attempting to load. :rolleyes:

In Texas you can open carry "if" you have a concealed carry license. The training is during the CC permit. It's not difficult and not oppressive costly.
The last one I did we were at the range. When we got through with the shooting portion the lady in the lane next to mine (which I had cleared out the center of the target) said "How do we know if you missed any, you just kept shooting through the large hole in the center? So I told her that I had indeed missed two shots. The two that were on her target. :badkarma:

Mike

It is very scary and I try not to think about it much how people don't need a training class. We all got some sort of training to drive a car and had to pass an exam right?

AZ has the best laws as far as not requiring any CCW test and we can now open carry anywhere, carry a gun into a private school, not government or regular government run schools I think or a bar if your drinking. Thats about it.

Open carry is dangerous as you can be disarmed if your not careful by someone behind you. I'd rather no one knows I'm carrying.

Back in the day we had kids NRA school where you were taught how to handle a gun. I think they still have that. I had my first .22 when I was ten years old.

7be2429414141b97cbdf280d1449a926.jpg

Last edited:
JEFFERSON CITY — Missouri became the latest state to allow residents to carry a concealed weapon without a permit when lawmakers supported the change Wednesday.

Starting Jan. 1, gun owners will be able to carry a concealed weapon without a permit. The remaining provisions in the bill, including the expansion of "stand your ground," will take effect in 30 days.

Tense debate during the legislature's annual veto override session encompassed themes of race and class as lawmakers clashed over whether to override Gov. Jay Nixon's veto of Senate Bill 656. In the days leading up to the session the debate drew national attention, with organizations on both sides of the issues working to influence lawmakers.

Latest posts

Back