Polyester them and now

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I know the carpet mills back east were rebuilt a few years back. The owner of the local Carpet One told me they were aimed at making the polyester carpets better. He said the old mill, built back before Daris was born šŸ˜ were designed for nylon. He added that the polyester products didn't work or perform as well as they could because of the processes used when manufacturing them.
How much has polyester carpeting improved because of better manufacturing methods?
The new products sold today look and feel considerably different now compared to 15 years ago.

Some customers still insist on nylon.
So what's the scoop? Is polyester still crap? Customers ask, but I don't have an answer.

Yea, theyā€™ve been pushing a similar story for years... New improved polyester. I havenā€™t heard the ā€œrebuiltā€ carpet mills story... I dunno, maybe but Iā€™m not buying it. Iā€™d like an explanation on how a newly designed mill can change the quality of the yarn that they buy.

Iā€™ve always told customers itā€˜s ok for low traffic areas. I have a poly area rug in a spare bedroom that no one walks onā€¦ Looks great! lol.

Last edited:
Ya know I have saw them bring back Poly 3 times maybe more and it was junk all the time. A 5 year carpet at the most in a bedroom. But no some salesmen sell it in every room in the house including stairs and the fact the mills are pushing it down the retailers throat. That is basically the only samples they can get anymore.
What do I know? I am just an installer for 57 years and watched it go bad before I got out the door.

Yea, theyā€™ve been pushing a similar story for years... New improved polyester. I havenā€™t heard the ā€œrebuiltā€ carpet mills story... I dunno, maybe but Iā€™m not buying it. Iā€™d like an explanation on how a newly designed mill can change the quality of the yarn that they buy.

Iā€™ve always told customers itā€˜s ok for low traffic areas. I have a poly area rug in a spare bedroom that no one walks onā€¦ Looks great! lol.
Might have just been Shaw, but i recall an article about old mills being replaced. Shaw built a huge new mill about 10 years ago.
google searches are useless today, at least on phones. Ask for anything and no matter your wording, all the results you'll get are advertizing.šŸ¤®

Ya know I have saw them bring back Poly 3 times maybe more and it was junk all the time. A 5 year carpet at the most in a bedroom. But no some salesmen sell it in every room in the house including stairs and the fact the mills are pushing it down the retailers throat. That is basically the only samples they can get anymore.
What do I know? I am just an installer for 57 years and watched it go bad before I got out the door.
People always complained about anything made of plastic. These days, cars and even a Boeing 787 are made of "plastic"....well, 1/2 plastic. Is polyester today made of the exact same plastic composition and the same process as it was 20 years ago? Why aren't commercial carpets and berbersade of nylon? I mean, they last 20 years in commercial settings.

Why aren't commercial carpets and berbersade of nylon? I mean, they last 20 years in commercial settings.

As my memory serves most all quality commercial grade carpet is made with nylon fiber. Some of the fancier woven stuff is an 80/20 blend of wool and nylon. I guess you could find some lower quality stuff made from Olefin but I donā€™t think youā€™ll get 20 years out of it. I donā€™t even know if youā€™ll get 20 years out of a nylon in a high traffic commercial area. Many get replaced every 8 to 10 years.

Residential olefin berbers will hold up pretty good but I think that has a lot to do with the loop pile design. Cut piles not so much. They mat down quickly.

Latest posts

Back