restain?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinfoley

I am redoing a hardwood floor...a few issues after staining havent done poly yet...found shoe prints can I just sand and restain small areas? Also there are some old scratches that are now magnified can I fix these things or have to do whole floor...please help

I am redoing a hardwood floor...a few issues after staining havent done poly yet...found shoe prints can I just sand and restain small areas? Also there are some old scratches that are now magnified can I fix these things or have to do whole floor...please help

Someone walked on the floor before the stain had dried? .......or is was this old damage?

I don't suppose it's simply from dust that was tracked onto the floor? How many prints and are any of them worthy of experimenting with? You know, in an place where it's not going to stand out if you mess with it lightly.

What kind of wood and what color is the stain? Oil based stain I assume? I'm wondering is a rag ever so slightly dampened with paint thinner or mineral spirits could rub or buff out the print. Not something you'd want to try in the middle of a room where an 'experiment' might show. and the buffed area might look different once a finish is applied....... who knows?

You might be able to do what I mentioned by taping off a section of individual boards where the footprint is, and then do the experiment only inside the taped area.
Use info at your own risk.............. I is just thinking out loud. :D

Boards to tape off.jpg

Last edited:
Im gonna try the mineral spirits...I hope it works ...2 footprints are all I noticed so far....just Use painters tape to block off area?

Latest posts

Back