Seam sealer for IVC/Flexitec products

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Anyone use a chemical sealer instead of the latex sealer on these floors?
I think I used DT 65 (Domco/Tarkette) sealer on one of these before. I hate the latex stuff.... seems like a goofy system to me.

At one time, they said to use the two-part sealer. I have used both with no problems. They have changed several times. Of course, they have changed installation instructions several times, too.

They were supposed to be working on a wet set adhesive, too, don't know if they ever released it.
I used a Shaw adhesive. I put it in wet. I was told it's the same adhesive that IVC recommends, but with Shaw's name on the label.
Not the adhesive I expected tho. It worked fine. Most pressure sensitives are really thin. This stuff looked and had the consistency of Henry's 356.
Oh well, I think it worked fine.

I used that DT 65 low gloss sealer, but I only had part bottles and ran out. Need to go back and finish the seam sealing, but the job went very well. Job is in town and 2 miles away, so no biggie. Customer is happy.
I did a test with that sealer early in the day and it 'melted' in and adhered great.

Last edited:
If you were to ask me I would say the IVC seam bottle is a joke and just plane sucks. I fill a Congoleum seam applicator and use that instead. The seam sealer is fine if you can apply it properly which is virtually impossible with that joke of a applicator they supply.

If you were to ask me I would say the IVC seam bottle is a joke and just plane sucks. I fill a Congoleum seam applicator and use that instead. The seam sealer is fine if you can apply it properly which is virtually impossible with that joke of a applicator they supply.

Never even seen an IVC seam bottle applicator if that's what you are talking about. It's just a bottle identical to a carpet seam sealer bottle.
Now they want you to pull one side of the seam up, apply the sealer to the lifted edge, then carefully put the seam edge back in place and wipe of the excess......... That's kinda what the installation PDF described.

I ended up using the DT-65 seam sealer. On the test piece, you could fold it back 180 degrees on the seam and put that in folded piece in a bench vice............... it was now one piece of vinyl welded together. I bet that sealer would do fine as a topical sealer for IVC.
...tho I did use the winged applicator tip.

Last edited:
If they supply that bottle and tell you that's what to use wouldn't that be the applicator? But you're right it would work better for carpet.

Just as with the DT-65 you use, the fin gets down into the seam and you don't have to lift up one edge like they state in there installation instructions. You just wipe off the top of the seam as you go and it's done, lifting the vinyl back up to apply the seam sealer is what always gets me in trouble with the seams on this stuff. Using the applicator from Congoleum also allows you to get the fine bead they talk about in the instructions.

Randy I think you are misunderstanding me a little. The bottle they give with their seam sealer is a joke, I agree. I guess I am calling it a seam sealer applicator just to be facetious. The tip with a fin I use to get in the seam is with the congoleum applicator, not any seam applicator IVC makes or has available.

Last edited:
Randy I think you are misunderstanding me a little. The bottle they give with their seam sealer is a joke, I agree. I guess I am calling it a seam sealer applicator just to be facetious. The tip with a fin I use to get in the seam is with the congoleum applicator, not any seam applicator IVC makes or has available.

When they passed out the brains I thought they said trains ....... so I took one. :eek:

The Congoleum applicator tip is the best out there. I wish they made the working end in brass so the wing couldn't break off. ( It wouldn't break off if they had never invented Fine Fields or Magna)

Last edited:
Kevin at IVC told me to use MLG33. I have had nothing but sucess with this method esp when coving IVC. He also told me that they have a "real" sealer in R&D.

Kevin at IVC told me to use MLG33. I have had nothing but sucess with this method esp when coving IVC. He also told me that they have a "real" sealer in R&D.

Tell him to pop in and say Hi! The Tarkett sealer worked really well.......
however the Mannington sealer tip delivers the sealer into and on top of the seam much better. ....way better than the other folded metal wing tips.

Latest posts

Back