sears flooring?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a few Sears jobs around 1990 when I worked for an installation company in KC. They were selling cheap crapet to high dollar customers. I think we were getting $2 a yd and the company was charging Sears $8-$10. We were getting around $5 for a birdcage and they were charging $50. Didn't work there too long.

I had 3 Sears stores years ago .
If a customer didn't like the color of the cpt after it was installed , they would replace it with no fuss.

I used to love that 110 oz plush they sold the hell out of, specially when I worked in SF with all those stairs. :eek:

I don't remember black pad, could be just a different pad for different areas of the country.

But I do remember humping in that extra heavy rubber waffle pad. :(

The shop I was working for in before I left Tucson did work for Sears, Standard Brands and Color Tile. The shop I got a job at in the bay area had the same damn stores!

I did a lot of Sears work through another contractor but don't remember any black pad. Remember being short quite abit though. Also did work for J.C. Penny's about the same time. What a freaking joke that was. Always prime urethane pad that bottomed out before it was installed.

Daris

I called that stuff Charmin. i gave a builder the same price for 3/8" rebound just so i didn't have to work with it .
The black pad must have been a east coast thing , or i had another one of those dreams . :)

I remember a white cushion that was like 1/8 inch foam. A freebie if you bought the 110 oz plush. lol Try moving a crapet around on that krap. No wonder the flooring dept went under.

I didn't realize Sears still sold carpet either! Remember seeing it there back in the 1970s and 1980s, then it disappeared!

Tia

They just got back into it last year, it's a shop at home sub contracted type operation. Even the sales people are not employed via sears I believe. What they use is the name and advertising.
They are selling mainly mohawk materials only and are trained to sell from Mohawk regional and territory reps :rolleyes:
Not like your fathers Sears carpet operation of yesterday

PS my old man installed for Sears and Jordan Marsh also.

You guys don't know how good you had it when carpet was in style with all that work, now everyone hates it and wants hardwood stapled to their butt cheeks.

They just got back into it last year, it's a shop at home sub contracted type operation. Even the sales people are not employed via sears I believe. What they use is the name and advertising.
They are selling mainly mohawk materials only and are trained to sell from Mohawk regional and territory reps :rolleyes:
Not like your fathers Sears carpet operation of yesterday

PS my old man installed for Sears and Jordan Marsh also.

You guys don't know how good you had it when carpet was in style with all that work, now everyone hates it and wants hardwood stapled to their butt cheeks.

That's a generalization - yeah, hard surfaces have become the norm, but we still do about 40% soft. The "heyday" of carpet was during the mid to latter end of our last century, when everyone was covering up the hardwood with it, but there is a whole new thing going on now. You'll see the comeback in custom rugs, and eventually again in comfortable surfaces.

TNT

yep!! era's repeat themselves. i noticed bellbottoms the other day along with the round type tail lights on cars like the 50s had and round body styles too:)

yep!! era's repeat themselves. i noticed bellbottoms the other day along with the round type tail lights on cars like the 50s had and round body styles too:)

Absolutely - it all comes back! But, I have yet to help my customers who are waiting for certain orange and purple floors. *Sigh*

Tia

Do you think that green and gold "hump and bump" will come back? How about long shag?:D I still have a shag rake.

It will all come back, but we may be dead by then. Someday your shag rake will be worth big bucks at the auction!

Tia

It will all come back, but we may be dead by then. Someday your shag rake will be worth big bucks at the auction!

Tia

I wouldn't say that Tia. The original rake yes. When I first started we were covering up some of the most beautiful hardwood floor you could ever want. now look at today. Hardwood is the big thing. They even make vinyls to look like wood even though I remember there was carpet with a wood pattern once.
Don't throw away those old button down shoes or old ties they may be back.

Daris

Latest posts

Back