sears flooring?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a shag rake as well.

But I think carpet is going to stay down because people are sick of dirty traffic patterns with crushed and matted fiber happening in one or two years that cannot be cleaned. All my hardsurface clients never want carpet again. Plus they think it is cause for allergy's.

When they see all the dirt under the rug I say...see all that disgusting dirt under there, thats whats making you sick. No carpet cleaner can get that out once it's in there. lol

I have a shag rake as well.

But I think carpet is going to stay down because people are sick of dirty traffic patterns with crushed and matted fiber happening in one or two years that cannot be cleaned. All my hardsurface clients never want carpet again. Plus they think it is cause for allergy's.

When they see all the dirt under the rug I say...see all that disgusting dirt under there, thats whats making you sick. No carpet cleaner can get that out once it's in there. lol

You do realize that tests show, there are fewer airborne allergens with carpet than hard surface flooring. Carpet traps them til they are cleaned, and with hard surface they float around in the air indefinitely. Somewhere, I have a study done by a medocal school.

Do you think that green and gold "hump and bump" will come back? How about long shag?:D I still have a shag rake.

i have been putting long shag in once a year for about 4 years now, (same neighborhood too! i think the first job got the others wantin it too, older couples 60's )it kinda sucks seaming it though,gotta tape the yarns back;)

You do realize that tests show, there are fewer airborne allergens with carpet than hard surface flooring. Carpet traps them til they are cleaned, and with hard surface they float around in the air indefinitely. Somewhere, I have a study done by a medocal school.

Done and paid for by the CRI. What do you expect. I have one done by an independant agency for the hardwood manufacturers that claim solid surfaces provide better air quality than carpet.

The way I see it is people just don't clean or vacuum the carpet like they are supposed to because they are either lazy or cannot see it, ask any carpet cleaner. On a hardwood or hard surface they can see it easier thus clean more often, therefore this equals cleaner air quality.

Plus I am not convinced carpet fibers hold onto anything with the exception of wool fibers.

Now tell me truthfully how many "clean" carpets have you replaced? How many didn't have dust flying all over when you pulled it up to replace it. (disreguarding CRI pre-vacuuming for air quality policy) :D

Last edited:
I worked in high-dollar neighborhoods for a long time and most of that carpet wasn't even dirty. They got tired of the color every couple years.

I worked in high-dollar neighborhoods for a long time and most of that carpet wasn't even dirty. They got tired of the color every couple years.

And I bet neither were their hardwood floors. LOL

Seriously, that all ya got? :rolleyes:

My two cents ~ hard surfaces are worse for allergies, as the allergins float in the air rather than being held in the carpet.

Daris ~ when we bought our home, which was built in 1950, we tore up the living room carpet and found unfinished hardwood underneath. We bought it from the original owner/builder, and would like to ask him why they put down hardwood and covered it straight up with carpet. The worst part was puttying the friggin' pad staple and tack strip holes. Ugh!

Ernesto ~ I think you meant that carpet is NOT going to stay down. It gives me giggles when the ladies want hard surface and then rugs on top ... their male half always wonders why they pay so much for floors, and then pay just as much to cover them up!

Tia

My two cents ~ hard surfaces are worse for allergies, as the allergins float in the air rather than being held in the carpet.

Daris ~ when we bought our home, which was built in 1950, we tore up the living room carpet and found unfinished hardwood underneath. We bought it from the original owner/builder, and would like to ask him why they put down hardwood and covered it straight up with carpet. The worst part was puttying the friggin' pad staple and tack strip holes. Ugh!

Ernesto ~ I think you meant that carpet is NOT going to stay down. It gives me giggles when the ladies want hard surface and then rugs on top ... their male half always wonders why they pay so much for floors, and then pay just as much to cover them up!

Tia

Reason for the hardwood under the carpet and not finished was for FHA loans. That was a requirement back then. It didn't have to be the best grade, just hardwood. Usually shorts, thats what is in my house built in 57.

Daris

Reason for the hardwood under the carpet and not finished was for FHA loans. That was a requirement back then. It didn't have to be the best grade, just hardwood. Usually shorts, thats what is in my house built in 57.

Daris

Some of their rules were weird. My uncle built some of those houses. He said a 4x8 sheet of plywood on the roof was only required to have 4 nails. Their reasoning was that the shingles would hold it on. :eek:

My two cents ~ hard surfaces are worse for allergies, as the allergins float in the air rather than being held in the carpet.Tia

I already sent that myth packing. But what ever.

Ernesto ~ I think you meant that carpet is NOT going to stay down. It gives me giggles when the ladies want hard surface and then rugs on top ... their male half always wonders why they pay so much for floors, and then pay just as much to cover them up!Tia

It's a great look and a great deal for the economy and dealers who sell or have rugs made. Rugs on carpet look like krap. Rugs on hardwood are the best IMHO.

Reason for the hardwood under the carpet and not finished was for FHA loans. That was a requirement back then. It didn't have to be the best grade, just hardwood. Usually shorts, thats what is in my house built in 57.Daris

I didn't know that! The guy who built our house first built the one next door, then sold that to my father-in-law's mother after he poured and finished the basement in our house. He made a full kitchen and bath in the basement, moved them in, and the family lived down there while he built the upper home. We've since gutted the basement, as it was damp and moldy. We took care of that issue. Could never figure out the hardwood thing in the living room, though ... heck, we bought carpet for it and then never used it!

TNT

Last edited:
Now that is some interesting stuff! Thanx!

TNT

Thats a good find Polestretch. Look at the very end though. It's confirms my previous statement on maintanence.

well maintained carpet is safe.

Problem is not very much carpet gets cleaned enough. I'd imagine most people only clean their carpets every couple years or so when it starts to look dirty, not yearly. By then it's so full of junk it makes me gag when I pull carpets up.

I've even asked the cleaner dudes on ICS if they clean their own carpets every year and most said no. lol

You can go and search all you want, and find the answer you want to see on both side's of the argument. What it all comes down to is, are you taking care of the product that it down? Hard surface not being cleaned on a regular base's can be just as bad as carpet for air quality.
I have been in my of home's that there is dust in very corner and under furniture in hard surface area's and the consumers thinks nothing of it.

You can go and search all you want, and find the answer you want to see on both side's of the argument. What it all comes down to is, are you taking care of the product that it down? Hard surface not being cleaned on a regular base's can be just as bad as carpet for air quality.
I have been in my of home's that there is dust in very corner and under furniture in hard surface area's and the consumers thinks nothing of it.

Exactly right, Roland.

This is a significant point not brought up in other study's/

According to the National Academy of Sciences, "The magnitude of the potential significance of carpeting as a source and reservoir of indoor allergens indicates that it should be given consideration as a serious problem.”6 Carpets accumulate dust and dirt in the amount of approximately 5-25 grams per square meter of surface area, depending on type of material, foot traffic, and other factors,7 which is a far greater extent than hard flooring. People stir up a personal cloud of dust not visible to the naked eye through normal indoor activities (such as walking and cleaning), resulting in increased personal exposures to whatever is in the dust.8, 9, 10 One nationwide study showed an association between asthma severity and the total dust weight on floors, and showed that carpets had higher total dust weights than hard floors.11

Latest posts

Back