soundproofing ideas

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicopatico

I have been given this really nice engineered tongue and groove flooring, enough to do our main areas with. Im trying to come up some ideas for adequate soundproofing. To start off with im on the top floor of an older (40 years) apartment building with the bare minimum between apartments so strata does understand we can only do what we can, next this strata doesnt have any idea what they want though with enough between they will appove it.

I have found 2 nice products in my general area that are good for soundproofing though am trying to find the best way to implement them.

First we have the underlay:

Its a rubber open cell mat that is 3/8" thick

We also have green glue:

a compound that is supposed to go between 2 hard surfaces that turns sound energy into heat allowing for reduction in vibration.

My thoughts are going from subfloor up: 3/8" rubber mat, 3/8" osb, green glue, thin underlay (likely a foam type), 9/16" engineered flooring for a total of about 1 1/8" thickish

The apartment common hall transition stands about 1 1/4" off the subfloor so i dont want to go any higher then that.

two main questions:
1. does anyone know if you can use green glue this way and if it would be effective?

2. does anyone know of a better way?

I have heard of acoustic foams which are ususally used in recording booths to dampen echos. Getting a bookshelf or an extra wall(sheetrock or drywall) over existing are good options. Add things soft

Latest posts

Back