Strange weather

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winter is finally showing here. Suppose to be 4-7 inches tonight, then 9-15 tomorrow with 45-55 mph winds with it, and it's stretches all the way to Hawaii. Kind of a pineapple express, which can carry lots of moisture. We need it.

We have had an arctic front embrace the prairies this week ~ we were the warmest at -25C today (at least, with sunshine).
Watched our Weather Network earlier, and a reporter on the street in Calgary threw a cup of water in the air (it was -35 with windchill), and it instantly turned into snow granules. Never seen that, before.
Tried it here this afternoon, didn't work. Not cold enough ... ;)

Be happy we aren't on the West Coast, even Highup will be digging out by the end of the week...

You till have the snow plow ya made Hi?

Gonna hit 70 F here tomorrow and sunny. :p

January 16th, 4:30 and it's 68 degrees.
Cold spell here has past, Deb. it's warming now. Didn't get enough precip to even cover the grass.
Got ya all beat anyway, and it might even hit 100 tomorrow afternoon on the coast.
National weather service forecast for the southern Oregon coast says:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MEDFORD HAS ISSUED A HIGH WIND
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH
THURSDAY AFTERNOON. A HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM
1 AM TO 7 PM PST WEDNESDAY.

* WINDS: SOUTH WINDS OF 45 TO 60 MPH WITH HURRICANE FORCE WIND GUSTS
OF 70 TO 85 MPH ARE LIKELY. GUSTS ABOVE 100 MPH :eek: AT HEADLANDS
INCLUDING CAPE BLANCO.

* TIMING: WINDS WILL INCREASE TONIGHT AND PEAK DURING THE DAY
WEDNESDAY. A DECREASE IN WIND IS EXPECTED WEDNESDAY NIGHT...
BUT ANOTHER INCREASE TO POSSIBLE WARNING CRITERIA WILL OCCUR
THURSDAY.
Might be a fun day tomorrow.
.....crap, and I don't even own a kite.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I live in Coos Bay............. marked in red. The headlands (points that jut out from the coastline) will get the brunt of whatever ends up hitting us.
Once you get a couple miles off the actual coast, (I mean literally, a couple of miles) wind speeds and gusts can be considerably less because of the protection of small hills between here and the actual coast line. If a 75mph gust hits a point jutting out from the coastline, then here in town, we might get gusts of 40 to 55............ ya never know. I think it's still gonna get a little icky wind wise tomorrow, as we reach out predicted high of 49 degrees.

Here's my local forecast.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=mfr&smap=1&textField1=43.36667&textField2=-124.21667

Well its almost 50 here today and calling for rain. I swear I just heard thunder few minutes ago. That just ain't right!!

Daris
38 here right now........... and that just ain't right. :D
Probably get up to or close to 50 today.
Last nights weather delivered rain, mud and boulders.
..........No cell coverage right now. Looked on our Oregon travel and road conditions map and 45 miles away there was a land slide on the highway that links the coast to the inland valley. There's a fiber optic cable buried there. :rolleyes: Highway is closed till they get the boulders and mud off the road.
Oh well no rain today, so hope they get it repaired quick.

So winter huh? What's that like?

It all depends on where you are having winter. Anywhere near the Great Lakes, the air is constantly damp so you feel a whole lot colder than the posted temps. Our here on the prairies, the air is far dryer (even though the largest inland lakes in Canada are just north of the Peg), so it takes far colder temps to feel really cold. Just wear suitable clothing.

We have dodged the bullet so far this year, last year we had three months of -25C and a ton of snow, this year our temps have rarely been less than -15C and as you can see from this pic that there is just a little snow on the ground. We far prefer the changing seasons, it makes us appreciate the warm weather even more.

This was how we spent our afternoon yesterday. Why the bonfire? Because it was a very mild day and because there are no prohibitions in the city regarding small contained burns.

2012_01220003.jpg

Latest posts

Back