The 800lb Gorilla In The Room - Refrigerators On Floating Floors

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
Just finished up a Harmonics laminate new remodel. When I went there there was no appliances, got to job and theres a spanking new high end Samsung refer in the kitchen. Floor was within spec, but had a soft high center in the room that gradually graded back down to the back sliders. Kitchen/family room was 26 feet long by 15 wide.

As soon as I rolled the refer back onto the floor it caused the floor to rise and make the floor spongy in one spot near the high point in center of room. The floor has VAT tile with cutback of course.

Ok, so the refer is right at 400lbs empty. Add in the water and stuff it with food it is in all reality running at 600lbs.

What would you do in this case?

Did anyone explain to them in advance that they should not put anything heavy on the laminate or there could be problems?

Course not flower child, who knew they would buy that Samsung gorilla in such a small kitchen? It was not there when I measured it. It's a step down from a sub-zero.

Course not flower child, who knew they would buy that Samsung gorilla in such a small kitchen? It was not there when I measured it. It's a step down from a sub-zero.

But Ernie, you are supposed to be a seer. All flooring installers are supposed to read minds, didn't you know that?

Remove the lam from under the fridge.
Like in "isolate" the fridge? Hmmm, great idea. Maybe just make a cut with enough gap or throw some 3/8 ply under it cannot be seen. But the flooring itself if visible is best because I this the same exact height which facilitates moving the fridge in and out. You would never roll that fridge up over the floor if it was on the slab.

ernie said:
You would never roll that fridge up over the floor if it was on the slab.

Yeah, you'd have to airsled it out. You could isolate just the legs (wheels) with say a 3 or 4" hole saw.

I did one on a cork floater where the fridge was in a tight hole. Just used some 3/8. Not many end users have sleds or would want to call just for maintaining.

Sounds like the fridge is in a low spot. with a crown in the substrate.
Take the cardboard cartons and use them at build it up under the fridge, so it cannot push down to bow it up out in front of the fridge.

How many times have you put hours and hours into the floor prep, but as you install, you see a low spot as your fitting rows? Cut and slide the cardboard under the floor to stiffen it up. It is a life saver trick.

Oh cmon floor guy. cardboard isnt a lifesaver, its a shortcut. That will definitely compress over time. Use a porland based levelor, you cant go wrong. If its worth doing, its worth doing right.

Oh cmon floor guy. cardboard isnt a lifesaver, its a shortcut. That will definitely compress over time. Use a porland based levelor, you cant go wrong. If its worth doing, its worth doing right.

Not sure what so wrong with it if theres some slight movement. The paper/shingle build up method for nailing down hardwood has been an accepted practice since they been nailing wood down.

Isolating those huge fridges is a good idea as ernie mentioned above. Especially if there is a crown in the slab that is within tolerances and your using a 12mm laminate thats alot stiffer than some 7 or 8 mm product as 12mm will plane out more than a thinner one.

Also I am convinced these monsters are not good for floating vinyl planks. These vinyl manufacturers need weight limit restrictions.

Last edited:
Have not seen laminate packaged in corrugated cardboard that would compress, in some time now.
Engineered yes. Take your hammer and beat it.
The laminate plank distributes the point pressure, so compression is not a factor to the mass thickness.

I'm just talking about those times you have the job almost complete, and your still installing rows.

If it is an easy pull it all up and drag some more mud, then by all means, do it.

How hard can it be, when the original Kahrs, had a spec to use sand as a leveler, under the cushion. That didn't go over too well with homeowners and a crew pouring sand on the substrate.

Latest posts

Back