Thought of the day .

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably 20 years ago, I was gettng a house ready for carpet and it was hot and I was sick. I saw EMTs go by to a house down the street and went back to work. I was leaning against a tree wondering how I was going to get the carpet nto the house. On their way back through, the EMTs stopped and got out and asked me what I needed to get done. after I told them, they picked up the carpet and carried it into the house. One of the best things about living in a small town. The next day, my wife took a bunch of treats down to the ambulance barn.

That kind of treatment would never happen to me Rusty. The only help that would happen to me is some farmer might come by and poke me in the butt with a pitchfork to get me moving faster.

My thought of the day was about our woodworkers here. I can screw boards together but I've never built any furniture. If I did, this probably wouldn't be my first project.
How many of these could you crank out per day?

Attachments

• PXL_20230819_214251064.jpg
    PXL_20230819_214251064.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230819_214321268.jpg
    PXL_20230819_214321268.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230819_214307965.jpg
    PXL_20230819_214307965.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230819_214351752.jpg
    PXL_20230819_214351752.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230819_214338820.jpg
    PXL_20230819_214338820.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Found a bunch of stain rags left piled up in the garbage can. I tossed the rags spread out on the ground outside and emptied the can into the dumpster out front.

I showed one of the guys the stain rags in the garbage can and he says they can’t spontaneously combust if there is no lid on the can to contain the vapors to the point that they build up and spontaneously combust. That’s just not true, spontaneous combustion from oily rags is about the build up of heat to the point of ignition as opposed to the build up of a combustible gas that can lead to an explosion.

Thoughts???

IMG_3555.jpeg

Found a bunch of stain rags left piled up in the garbage can. I tossed the rags spread out on the ground outside and emptied the can into the dumpster out front.

I showed one of the guys the stain rags in the garbage can and he says they can’t spontaneously combust if there is no lid on the can to contain the vapors to the point that they build up and spontaneously combust. That’s just not true, spontaneous combustion from oily rags is about the build up of heat to the point of ignition as opposed to the build up of a combustible gas that can lead to an explosion.

Thoughts???

View attachment 17458
My first thoughts were how do you both not KNOW?. My job on Navy contracts (SSHO) was to make sure the guys on site were trained with all their materials and equipment. Anything potentially hazardous requires specific handling instructions. This comes off the Safety Data Sheets. Being required to fill out daily reports this is exactly the sort of information I'd write up in the report. Blah, blah, blah.........all workers read and understood instructions. All workers read and understood the Safet Data Sheets prior to work.

I'd read those SDSs thoroughly if I had your concerns.

I'd read those SDSs thoroughly if I had your concerns.
My safety reports would say, All workers read but still don’t understand 😝

I don’t know about you, but for me SDSs use language that’s difficult to fully understand and probably by most workers too.

Hey Incognito, I know you probably have had training classes with SDSs, being a Forman and Superintendent, so my question is, are you allowed to teach and advise the subcontractors about information in the SDSs if they don’t understand the precautions to take.

My safety reports would say, All workers read but still don’t understand 😝

I don’t know about you, but for me SDSs use language that’s difficult to fully understand and probably by most workers too.

Hey Incognito, I know you probably have had training classes with SDSs, being a Forman and Superintendent, so my question is, are you allowed to teach and advise the subcontractors about information in the SDSs if they don’t understand the precautions to take.

Check this out: Activity Hazard Analysis - Google Search

We would go over the hazards specific to the project for each subcontrator. Each subcontractor already knows whats most dangerous in their line of work and would submit to me what's called an Activity Hazard Analysis. I created/reviewed those and submitted them to the Navy Construction Manager for my project and he approves them.

We have a safety meeting with every crew and every new worker before he's allowed to start work. The hazards are broken down by severity of risk. I usually ask each guy what's the most dangerous thing they ever saw in their line of work--------everyone likes that kind of story. So if I'm not sure the guy knows what exactly he's doing today he's not going to put his hard hat on and work here until he does. So you're basically stopping everyone involved up front and saying, "What could possibly go wrong?" Then you do everything reasonable to protect the worker.

The guys don't need to understand complex chemistry to understand risks and precautions. It's important for them to have access to all that information IF they want to really know more. The worse possible thing------and it does happen-----is for an employer to know he's sending guys into danger without doing everything to make them aware of the risks and how to avoid injury.

Not much money in it when you give away most of what you sell.
Yeah, I get that. Like you do, gifts can be fun too. My business sense has never been good anyway, and I don't know how you turn making something in your garage into something profitable. Making hobby into a business can totally ruin the fun because you're chasing your tail with customer demands and obligations.
You can save a lot of money making and repairing your own stuff. A nice shop and garage is your partner. Without him, you're a bit screwed.

Thoughts???

View attachment 17458
I'm thinking those guys are really poor gamblers.
I'm even scared of paint thinner on paper towels.
Yup, toss them on my shop floor for overnight, then throw them in the garbage.
The risk might be incredibly small, but if you guess wrong.....
$175,000? ..... 875,000?
The price to give a s**t is zero.

Edit:
Ask those guys why oily rag containers have lids on them and are self closing.

Last edited:
I guess this stuff is common sense to me which is why I’m so surprised that more people don’t know this. They still had shop and auto class back in my day so learning this kind of stuff was all part of the program. Who doesn’t remember those old school 1950’s training videos.

I guess this stuff is common sense to me which is why I’m so surprised that more people don’t know this. They still had shop and auto class back in my day so learning this kind of stuff was all part of the program. Who doesn’t remember those old school 1950’s training videos.
You're 55 or 60?

Latest posts

Back