Underlayment in FCI

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
If you have read Ray Thompson's article on installing underlayment in FCI mag, what do you think? I disagree with some of what he says. Give me your thoughts and then I'll tell you what I disagree with.

If you have read Ray Thompson's article on installing underlayment in FCI mag, what do you think? I disagree with some of what he says. Give me your thoughts and then I'll tell you what I disagree with.

I do plywood jobs probably less than once a year as a commercial guy but when I did some residential work a zillion years ago we used plywood that HAD to be gapped at the seams. I was trained to put a matchbook cover thickness between sheets and nail off from the center out 6-8 inches in the field and 2" staggered along the seams. In kitchens I'd have the mallet. On small commercial I'd use rink shank nails. Only a couple schools I can recall we used the compressor and staples.

I don't recall ever sanding the subfloor but if a joint was cocked up we'd slam enough nails in to beat it back down. We did use a belt sander after each coat of patch, usually two on all the seams.

I never seen anyone acclimate plywood, especially with the idea you could open up the sheets and lay them out apart from each other. That just doesn't happen in commercial work that I've ever seen. It's obviously a great idea. Probably if we did a BIG job with plywood we'd do that though, maybe even including testing with the meter.

Ernesto said:
Yea, I am registered on the forum but cannot access the article either. Never used to be like that.

I guess you have to register for the mag...

I was able to read this-

"The installation of underlayment is extremely crucial to the success (or failure) of any resilient installation."

I have to disagree with that statement as the word any in this case is used as an adjective which means every or all. There are many resilient projects where underlayment is not a factor.

I guess you have to register for the mag...

I was able to read this-

"The installation of underlayment is extremely crucial to the success (or failure) of any resilient installation."

I have to disagree with that statement as the word any in this case is used as an adjective which means every or all. There are many resilient projects where underlayment is not a factor.

Hadn't thought about that but you are right.

Hey, nothing's for free.

I read the article and it seems straight forward...nothing I can really contest. I prefer pneumatic but I understand the point he's trying to make.

Latest posts

Back