What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday morning the bodyshop for my truck called & said my truck was ready to be picked up and said what we owed. Mom cashed the check from the insurance company (not sure why she didn't get a cashier's check or write a personal check, but whatever, she decided to pay cash). She drew out the amount for the deductible and wear on the tire. Drove down there in the CR-V. At first he wasn't there but he drove up while we were trying to figure out how to contact him (I forgot to put his # in my phone). He showed me the truck- paint job, new fender, new bumper, & repaired hood all looked good. Turned on the truck and it popped the error codes which he said would go away if I took it to the dealer to have them plug something in to clear the messages. Mom handed him the $ and we asked for a receipt. He mumbled something I couldn't understand then said he was going to back my truck out of his garage and handed me the key. I turned to help Mom move to the driver seat of the CR-V and didn't notice that the guy jumped back in his car and drove off until I turned around to request the receipt again. He'd mentioned something about having to take a trip out of town so I figured he was in a hurry, but was annoyed he didn't give a receipt.

I decided I would just call him later to ask about the receipt & arrange a time to come pick it up or get it mailed. Mom drove the CR-V while I followed in the truck. I noticed the steering felt a little odd-- somewhat loose-- but thought maybe it was bc I'd been driving the CR-V for over a month & it has tighter steering. Then I started to notice that the steering wheel was turned to the left while the tires were straight and that every once in awhile I felt a tug to the right and the steering wheel turned more to the left. It wasn't comfortable and something just didn't feel right. As soon as we got home, I asked Mom to hop in and said I wanted to take the truck straight to the dealership to have it checked out. I had assumed that maybe when they put the new strut on, they didn't straighten the steering wheel before reconnecting things and that it just needed to be adjusted. Drove straight to the dealership and explained the situation. They said that it should have had an alignment done but that the steering wheel being askew was not a good sign and that they would look at it. I called the insurance company to let them know what had happened and that the dealership was going to do the alignment. They argued that the alignment had been paid for to the body shop guy, I explained that it seemed he hadn't done it. Through further conversation with the dealer mechanics, they said he either didn't do it right or didn't do it at all so I would need to contact the guy about getting reimbursed bc they had to fix it, but that they did not recommend driving it bc there could be something worse going on.

Awhile later they told me that their mechanic called full stop on the poking around and that they would not touch anything else until an adjuster from my insurance came out to look at it bc they didn't want to be blamed for anything being done incorrectly. They said that he only replaced 1 strut and that it should have been done in pairs so there would have been 2 new struts-- but not only that, the strut wasn't secured properly and was loose. Furthermore, the tie rod was missing a nut & wasn't even secured & I was lucky that the wheel didn't come off while I was on my way there. They didn't know if it was on too loose and fell off or if they just forgot it, but they said that it was done so poorly that if the guy had done the alignment it was unaligned by being loose. They said that they would address the error messages (VSM, TPMS, DRL, and "check emissions") as well as the airbag recall after the adjuster looked at it.

I called the insurance so they arranged to send an adjuster out and they said they would pay for any further repairs involving the accident but that I would have to get the other guy to pay for re-doing anything he screwed up. So, I think they will cover the VSM, TPMS for only that one tire, and DRL (bc the wiring harness probably got messed up in the accident) and whatever the emissions error was. Emissions one might have just been a glitch bc it did it before when nothing was wrong.

Had to have my brother come pick us up and left the truck overnight. It was due for some regular maintenance anyway, but it's still frustrating.

So, today I had to drive my friend's fiance to a doctor's appointment, take my brother to get some socks, drop the girl off at home, pick up mail, back home, then back into town bc the girl left her medicine in the car, picked up McDonalds for Mom, back home, fed & watered pets, cleaned up dog crap, brought mail in, and heard from Mom that the dealership called. The adjuster came by & said the alignment and loose strut are the responsibility of the repair shop guy, but everything else was covered. Said they would do the TPMS for the front tire bc it was broken in the accident but that another sensor in the rear tire needed to be replaced & it was something like $200 (Mom declined to have that done bc she thought that was too pricey). Also said the brake pads needed to be replaced (she thought that was BS but I know that was one of the things on the maintenance minder and we haven't had the brakes done since we got it). I'd already had the oil, oil filter, and cabin air filter changed out before so that wasn't on the list. The 2nd strut is something that will be covered by insurance and I think they are covering whatever is needed to clear the error messages.

I talked to the insurance company and they agreed that it would be prudent to get a receipt from the other guy before mentioning any problems with the vehicle (or at least wait until I heard from the adjuster about it). I called him today to say my insurance company was insisting on a receipt. There were kids playing very loudly in the background so I think he was with family and is on vacation or something. He said he was out of town until Sunday but he'll be driving through my town on Monday and can print out a receipt and leave it with the towing guy. I want to get that receipt and it bc it seemed he was with his family, I decided not to bring up the problems with the stuff being loose just yet. I plan to bring it up on Monday and let him know that the stuff has to be redone at his expense. I don't know if he personally did it or if he had someone in his shop do it. Not sure if he just didn't know enough about it or if he's just a lousy mechanic. It seemed he had never worked on a Ridgeline before though. I'm hoping he'll just pay back the $ or that the insurance will withhold any additional $ over the estimate and use it to pay the dealership instead. IIRC, the check was sent before he said there was additional damage to the strut so the $ only covered the visible damage-- tire, fender, headlight, bumper replacement, hood repair, and painting + tire alignment. Not sure if they budgeted the TPMS sensor. I'll have to ask them to e-mail me a list of what they did pay him for-- they apparently sent it over to the dealership. Dealership mechanics were frazzled and stressed that my truck could have literally started falling apart on me bc of the loose parts. I mentioned before my best friend almost died from his tie rod coming loose. He was rather outraged when I told him about the situation.

If I had known that there would be more than cosmetic damage, I might have had it taken to a different shop, but I assumed it was just going to be the fender, bumper, tire, headlight, & hood but not anything underneath. I should have listened to my gut bc I was a bit uneasy about the strut replacement.

I am glad that I listened to my gut on going to the dealership right away though.

Now I'm going to take some naproxyn and try to take a nap.

Paid cash? No receipt? He is going to pocket that money, and not have to claim that money on his income tax. Go back and demand a receipt, and also let him know you will be reporting this action to the Internal Revenue Service if you don't get that receipt.

My mechanic has two prices. A receipt price, which is higher, and a cash only non-receipt, which he doesn't have to claim. Since I trust him unconditionally, I save money and don't ask for a receipt, unless he is doing something which could affect the warranty on my car.

Paid cash? No receipt? He is going to pocket that money, and not have to claim that money on his income tax. Go back and demand a receipt, and also let him know you will be reporting this action to the Internal Revenue Service if you don't get that receipt.

My mechanic has two prices. A receipt price, which is higher, and a cash only non-receipt, which he doesn't have to claim. Since I trust him unconditionally, I save money and don't ask for a receipt, unless he is doing something which could affect the warranty on my car.
I pay most workers in cash. We all pay too much in taxes anyway. But if something can go wrong, like on a car, I want a receipt.

I don't know why she decided to do cash instead of a cashier's check or something. I get why she didn't want to use CC though. But we've never had someone refuse to give a receipt after giving payment before. He also didn't put the locking nut back on my tire (and I haven't had the chance to check to see if the tool to remove it is even still in my car or if he has it). If he has it, I will have to go back to his shop and demand he give it and the nut back.
For now, I haven't alerted him that anything was wrong bc I want a receipt. My mother wrote down how much she paid him and I will try to meet with him on Monday to look at it and make sure the numbers line up. I told the insurance company how much we paid and we have proof of Mom taking that amount out of the bank that day. I called him and said my insurance company was insisting that I provide a receipt to show how much I paid for the work and he said he'd give it to me on Monday. Supposedly he's passing through my town then and will be meeting at the towing guy's place. For now, the truck remains at the dealership being worked on. They called and said that the insurance adjuster looked at it the very next day and that the alignment being re-done and the strut having to be redone are both on the other repair guy so it will have to come out of his $.
If the guy gives me any trouble, I'll mention the BBB and the IRS. My insurance company indicated that I would have to get a refund from him and pay the dealership myself. I'm going to talk to them about just having them withhold the $ from whatever payment he requests over the original estimate. He was paid $85 and some change for the alignment. Dealership charges $89. The rest of the issues they said are part of the wreck damage and are covered though.
If I have to go see him at his shop (if he will be there) on Monday, I'll bring my brother with me. They might be less likely to give him a hard time.
Yeah, I don't take the naproxyn often. I used to take unhealthy amounts of Ibuprofen but I have cut way back on painkiller usage bc it takes so much to even put a dent in my pain. Meanwhile, half the dosage that I take has my friend almost knocked out. LOL. Speaking of my friend, I took him to the dentist yesterday for dental surgery but they couldn't do it bc he has an abscess. I also brought him his new computer chair, helped him get the box into his house, and then helped him assemble it. He absolutely loves it.
My brother forgot to water the kitties in the front room and he was out of kitten chow and didn't tell me, so the poor things were literally climbing the glass-paned door and screaming their little heads off. I fed & watered them.
This is the chair he got: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/respawn-recline-game-rsp110blu/prod22273235.ip (in red)
respawngamingchairred.jpg

My brother got the blue version but they beat up the box very badly during delivery and broke one of the levers.
The lumbar pillow wasn't comfortable for my friend so I suggested he attach it to the foot rest & it worked perfectly. The foot rest slides out from under the chair and flips over. Got it on black friday sale w/ free shipping so we only paid state tax. There is a lever that locks it in to a preferred angle of reclining.

I got my new keyboard, Logitech G213 Prodigy. It replaced my G15. I miss the little screen at the top that had game stats & volume info. I also miss the built-in USB ports on it but this one is lighter and the wrist rest is nice. It has good response and it doesn't die out on me. The cord on the other one was damaged, but it was in use for 10 years. This one has a cord with some kind of fabric wrap around it. It didn't come with any instructions so I have to look up how to adjust the lighting color. Right now it is just changing colors randomly. I thought there would be an off button but it turns out it was just for the lights. I like it though. The wrist rest is hard plastic so I put some cloth over it to make it more comfortable (the plastic is not comfortable against my skin).

The new microwave arrived (same brand and model as the old one that was having problems). My friend was going to save up to get a Microwave but he said he'll take my old one and fix it up. It's 2.2cuft (smaller than our previous Montgomery Ward one) and the interior finish on the bottom is bubbled up. There are some stains that won't come out from the sides and top from when something my brother made with teriyaki sauce exploded in there. My mother said she ordered a new toaster as well. I hated the old one bc it had buttons that never worked- for heating frozen bread and for a bagel setting. I think they were just there for decoration bc they never functioned the entire time we had the thing and then the cats knocked it on the floor multiple times so the bottom broke off. I hope she didn't get a crappy one.

I'll probably go do the changing of the microwaves this afternoon. I also have to unload stuff from the car that my bro refused to unload and try to take out some of the trash since he refused to do it. I will note that after refusing to do any of his own chores or help with anything, he then had the nerve to ask me to do his laundry. He'd put it in the washer already but planned to be asleep so he wanted me to put his stuff in the dryer for him. It was his work clothes so I decided to go ahead and do it and then I took it out and folded it, opened his door, threw the pile on top of him (startling him awake) and shouted "LAUNDRY, B***!" at him. I also kept the quarter and dime that fell out of his pocket in the wash.

I'm hoping my truck will be fixed by Monday. I will have to see if the repair guy was being honest about getting the receipt and have a talk with him about the repairs.

Latest posts

Back