What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of Trump, (not a political thing) did you ever see the SNL skit he was in with Rudy Giuliani where Rudy was in drag and Trump was pretending to hit on him? It was a long time ago, but it was hilarious.

I told myself I was going to cut back on carbs and sugars. My brother brought home donuts. I need better self control. LOL.

In other news, what do you guys think about grocery stores using driverless cars to deliver groceries? I'm iffy on the technology but also don't know if I would trust the store to deliver decent groceries. At least not when it pertains to anything refrigerated or things like fruit or veggies. Might be ok for canned goods and boxed stuff.

FA618CEB-2012-4E2C-8737-2F257D077941.jpeg
Kick ass Nick

Found out how to get gas out of my Ford van. Put a hose on the shrader valve and jumped the fuel pump relay to get it flowing. Only got a gallon every 5 minutes........... better then leaving it in that van. It won't be running anytime soon and had 3/4 tank in it. It has 6 gallons less now. I have 6 gallons more now.

Last edited:
How do you even rebuild a lazy boy recliner?
Did it have damaged metal parts or wood broken?

Wood broken. Happens a lot. Even they use plywood. I replace with solid wood and back up with homemade metal braces. They are stronger than new when I get done. I can fix most for $100. and some cost $1000 new.

So yur an upholsterer too?

Changed a headlight in my Chevy van today. Screws were too rusty to remove. Been putting this off for a month or more because of the rust. Got a warning from a state cop a couple weeks ago. He gave me a 20% off automotive discount card to use at automotive stores. I showed him I already had purchase the light (had it beside the seat) He said I can use it for anything, not just for a headlight.
Headlight is on, so don't have to worry 'bout that no mo. What a PITA because of the rusty screws.

I remember when we were looking for some good furniture and the store clerk told us that all their furniture was made from "jen-yu-wine" plywood. It was dismaying that they didn't have anything made from solid wood. $100 to fix an expensive chair sounds like a good deal. My late friend Cordell used to fix up furniture for his friend, Buddy. Buddy owns a furniture store that mostly does rent-to-own. He would bring Cordell stuff and give him a couple $ and then sell the furniture. I actually saw Buddy today. I was at the post office with my arms full of packages. He offered to help and took the top packages off the stack and carried them to my truck for me. He didn't say much but he gave me a hug afterward. One of these days we'll have to sit down and talk. Haven't seen him much since Cordell died and have seen him even less since his wife died.

I took my friend's fiance to the hair salon. She wasted $75 on getting it cut, dyed, and curled. Then she wasn't happy with how short it was when it was curled. The color really didn't even look different (except the roots were blended better). The girl wastes her $ on stuff like hair, nails, piercings, and tattoos. She has 3 tattoos and isn't really happy with any of them but wants to get more. She's a sweet kid but not the brightest bulb. It took about 2 hours for the whole hair thing and it turned out she didn't even bring $ with her when she knew they didn't take credit card so I had to drive her to Walmart so she could buy a soda & get cashback. She tried the ATM but it wouldn't go through.

I think my friend might be able to come back on Thursday for round 2 of the toilet repair. Fingers crossed that it will work.

I remember when we were looking for some good furniture and the store clerk told us that all their furniture was made from "jen-yu-wine" plywood. It was dismaying that they didn't have anything made from solid wood. $100 to fix an expensive chair sounds like a good deal. My late friend Cordell used to fix up furniture for his friend, Buddy. Buddy owns a furniture store that mostly does rent-to-own. He would bring Cordell stuff and give him a couple $ and then sell the furniture. I actually saw Buddy today. I was at the post office with my arms full of packages. He offered to help and took the top packages off the stack and carried them to my truck for me. He didn't say much but he gave me a hug afterward. One of these days we'll have to sit down and talk. Haven't seen him much since Cordell died and have seen him even less since his wife died.

I took my friend's fiance to the hair salon. She wasted $75 on getting it cut, dyed, and curled. Then she wasn't happy with how short it was when it was curled. The color really didn't even look different (except the roots were blended better). The girl wastes her $ on stuff like hair, nails, piercings, and tattoos. She has 3 tattoos and isn't really happy with any of them but wants to get more. She's a sweet kid but not the brightest bulb. It took about 2 hours for the whole hair thing and it turned out she didn't even bring $ with her when she knew they didn't take credit card so I had to drive her to Walmart so she could buy a soda & get cashback. She tried the ATM but it wouldn't go through.

I think my friend might be able to come back on Thursday for round 2 of the toilet repair. Fingers crossed that it will work.
I learned on my own to repair chairs. My wife bought an expensive recliner that broke after about three months. I figured out that I could just cut new wood pieces in my shop and replaced the broken plywood with solid wood. Ash is the best but even pine is stronger than the original wood.

Hard to believe they make stuff so cheap. I have a friend that does a lot of body work. He bought a brake/press from Harbor Freight. Weighed a few hundred bounds. He broke the main bearing where the handle rotates. The bearing shattered and the pieces broke into chucks and powder. If that single bearing was made of good hardened metal, the machine would have lasted for decades. A good bearing material would have probably added a buck to the manufacturing cost. HF gave him his money back and said they had 5 others do the same thing.

Hard to believe they make stuff so cheap. I have a friend that does a lot of body work. He bought a brake/press from Harbor Freight. Weighed a few hundred bounds. He broke the main bearing where the handle rotates. The bearing shattered and the pieces broke into chucks and powder. If that single bearing was made of good hardened metal, the machine would have lasted for decades. A good bearing material would have probably added a buck to the manufacturing cost. HF gave him his money back and said they had 5 others do the same thing.
I bought a Grizzly scroll saw. Would not run out of the box. Had to drive 100 miles to return it in person. They would not let me ship it.

It is really sad when manufacturers use cheap parts in expensive things. Like Honda had all sorts of problems with the & screws rusting between the transmission and engine. It caused the fluids to mix and was very expensive to fix- and it could have been prevented by using a rust-proof screw & washer that would have cost less than 50cents.

I'll have to keep in mind that ash is good wood for furniture. There were some furniture pieces I wish we'd kept and repaired instead of throwing out. My mother's favorite couch could have been saved if I'd known how to fix it. I came with steel reinforcement, but my brother (who weighed 400lbs at the time) decided to leap onto it for fun. Basically did a belly flop on it and broke it. We hadn't even had the thing a whole month when he did it. If he'd had a job, Mom would've made him pay for it.

I took the girl to her cardiologist appointment. She was not going to mention to the doctor that she stopped taking her medicine (because it made her dizzy & tired). I told her that it was important for her to be honest with him about medicines bc if she lied it made it harder to diagnose. So I went with her and I told the nurse she stopped taking it and let her explain why. The doctor said she did the right thing and to only take the medicine when she was having symptoms (palpitations). He's not going to send her back to Shreveport because they just wasted her time. He'll see her every 6 months for a checkup.

Meanwhile, my friend wanted to show me a really cool Mustang at the Ford dealership. It's black and has stripes down the middle that sort of change color. He really wanted the car, but he also promised his fiance that if she found the car she wanted (a Ford Fusion) within their price range at a local dealer, he would buy it for her. What he didn't know was that 5 minutes before we got there, a 2016 Ford Fusion had been parked right in front of the Mustang. Someone traded it in that day and our friend who works as a mechanic there had just finished the inspection and parked it out front. Not only does it have heated seats, it has seat cooling for summer. The girl took it for a test drive and loved it. It's actually cheaper than the other similar vehicles on the lot as well and has under 40k miles. I just hope they can afford the down payment and monthly payments on it. If it sells before they can get a deposit down, I know the girl will be crushed.

In more boring news, I found a sink stopper that opens up when you push on it and closes when you push on the sides. Our old stopper had to be removed because the rod that went in to the drain to move the stopper up and down broke off.

Latest posts

Back