What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I September of 1970 I hit one at about 50 mph on the way to the hospital to pick up my newborn son and wife. Deer didn't make it, car didn't make it, I didn't make it either. I had to get a friend go get the wife and kid while I got the car towed home. 68 Pontiac Lemans with the bullnose grill. Grill acted like a knife and gutted the deer then I ran over him besides. Button buck that turned his head and dragged the button in an arc across the hood. When I got the car home I was dragging the guts out of the front of the car when the trash men pulled up. I asked if they would take the guts, the garbage man gave me his gloves and said you do it and throw the gloves away, he had a weak stomach and couldn't handle it. Oh also when the cop showed up he asked if I could lay the deer across the trunk of his car. Said he had a clean uniform on and didn't want to get it dirty that early in the day.

Got a call this morning from the lady who takes me in the backroom of my Dr .. She was in tears , She got a call from them saying they were Microft and put a version of Ransomware on her confuser , and wanted $400.00 to remove it .. Told her not to worry i have to go there tomorrow and i can take it out for her .. They should go after these guys and put one behind their ear ..
Hell. I have received calls from my home number to my home number. A quick death would be too kind.

I have decided that I will probably retire when I reach 75. (Maybe)
I turn 75 tomorrow. Don't plan on giving it up yet, but maybe. Binding keeps me in more than anything now. I've already made over $500 this week already. There is more to be done but the store ccan't get the customer call back with sizes.

I turn 75 tomorrow. Don't plan on giving it up yet, but maybe. Binding keeps me in more than anything now. I've already made over $500 this week already. There is more to be done but the store ccan't get the customer call back with sizes.
I could use some $500 weeks. I need a work vehicle.

325456.gif

A lot of scammers depend on the fact that there are gullible people and people with dementia who are easily confused who don't realize that just because someone calls you doesn't mean it's legit.

My mother was freaking out one day about phone calls and e-mails she got that were from scammers saying some BS about how she was going to be fined & other crap. I kept trying to calm her down & explain that it wasn't real & it was a scam. It took me 30 minutes to finally get it to sink in that it wasn't anything legit for her to worry about and to just ignore it. One time, I walked in and she was about to give her credit card number to a scammer and I stopped her. She normally wouldn't have fallen for something like that, but the call had woken her up and she wasn't fully awake and was in a confused state.

How do those scammers gain access to your computer to send you ransomware while you're on the phone with them? Don't you have to give them some info or go to sites for that? Or is it if you have a static IP they can somehow find you?

My IP changes and I never follow any instructions given from those people who call so I don't do anything to give them access. I got the call claiming to be IRS before. I took down all their info (making sure I had the phone #) got them to give me mailing addresses for where they wanted something mailed, and sent off a letter to the fraud department at the FBI while still on the phone. Then I made loud noises into the phone, called them scammers, and hung up.

My brother used to work for an internet security company run by a former friend (I say former bc the guy screwed him over & disappeared) My bro worked for him for 7 months & didn't get paid for the last 6 months- guy kept saying "trust me, you'll get your $, we're friends!" and then at the end he tried to claim that my brother hadn't actually done the work & argued with him on why he didn't have to pay him-- did the same to a few other employees. The company went belly up & the owner ran off. Anyway, when my bro was working there, he had the software to deal with hackers. Someone tried to hack him & sent them back viruses.

I managed to get the living room cleared up, stuff put away in bins, moved the coffee table over & had enough space to move the TV out. My brother had to move the bins bc they were too heavy for me and I helped him move the TV-- it has wheels so it rolled most of the way (got stuck on some floor transitions and rugs a bit). We were moving the TV out when my friend called to say he was ready to be picked up. I brought him over & he assembled the tv stand (which took over an hour bc it had like 70 parts to it). My brother baked a cake while it was going together. I helped my friend get the stand in place and then helped him put the stand on the new TV. Then he hooked it up & got it set up to work with our satellite. Turns out there was nothing wrong with our old TV, the problem was that the coaxial cable in the back of our Dishnetwork box had detached somehow (and man, that thing is annoying bc it has a low current running through it and will buzz you when you touch it). My friend mentioned it zinged him & I said "That's the one that goes to the dish. For some reason it always has a current & it zaps me when I touch it so I know that's the right one". I once had my arm go numb for about half an hour after having to mess with it. Next time I'm wearing rubber gloves though.

Then my friend pulled the toilet, secured the repair flange, put the new wax ring on (after cleaning the old one off) and then set the toilet back on and I sat on it and checked to make sure it wasn't moving. He bolted it down & it was good for the first couple hours. Now it's wobbling again so I don't know WTF the problem is. May have to suck it up and call the crappy plumber to see if he can get it aligned right. Might just have to replace the whole damn floor though. The toilet is sitting on OSB that has soaked up quite a bit of water. I don't think any replacement pieces would be the same thickness as the existing floor & still be sturdy enough to work as a subfloor so patching just that spot won't work. I'm going to have to replace all of it, so it will have to be done at the same time the shower is replaced. So, I'll have to get Mom to pick what she wants for a faucet setup asap.

At least the living room looks nicer and there's space to open the fridge in the kitchen. I'll have to get my mother to look through the bins & figure out what to do with the stuff in them. It's also a good thing that the entertainment center is no longer taking up space in the front closet.

I forgot to mention that our old TV was so big that we had a large entertainment center that is probably 7' tall and the TV had the massive speakers built in to the bottom so it was this one massive unit that just fit inside the massive cabinet. Since the old TV just fit inside without a stand & the new TV is vastly smaller (although close in screen size) we needed a stand for the new one that would be wide enough and tall enough so that the tv screen would sit at close to the same height as the old one. I'll have to get a picture, but the color matches pretty well. Somehow mice had gotten in to the box the new TV came in but they had only messed with the styrofoam, so there's styrofoam "snow" all over the floor. I'm going to have to go sweep it up in a bit but right now my body hates me. I had charlie horses in both legs & my right arm last night.

My mother keeps commenting that the TV screen on the new TV looks smaller than the old TV and that there are black lines on top and bottom of the screen. Part of that is bc the older TV had a 58" screen and we now have a 55" screen but the old TV wasn't able to get the right aspect ratio so it stretched the screen vertically and cut off the sides. Friend who set it up said that we probably need a newer more up-to-date receiver to get the picture right.

I think I'll try to give the plumber a call on Monday & let him know to bring a new flange & whatever tools are required to cut out the old one. I wonder if one of those flange repair things that have some sort of rubber gasket and just shove down into the pipe would work. He's got more experience pulling toilets and installing them than my friend so hopefully he can get it on so its not rocking so much-- it wasn't rocking like that before the flange repair. So either the added height is screwing with it or the extensions on the flange repair ring that stick out past the old flange are interfering with how the toilet sits. But, it will be worth it to stop the toilet from leaking and having the floor getting soaked. Might even ask him to price out installing a new shower unit bc we desperately need to get that done.

Meanwhile, one of my brother's friends is having some PTSD right now. About a week ago he was staying at his father's house & walked outside. A vehicle rolled up, a man got out, pulled a gun, and popped another man in the head right in front of him, then got back in and drove away. Kid was so freaked out he didn't even think to call the police, but the shooter turned himself in. So, now he's sleeping on another friend's couch & doesn't want to go back over to his father's house. But, it's my friend who has the fiance who can't stand the kid & it's really putting a strain on their relationship. She wants the kid to leave bc he butts in on their conversations/arguments, starts arguments with her, uses her shampoo & soap, takes hour long showers when there is only one bathroom, messes with her stuff, & spends all day on the computer with headphones on shouting (which wakes her up when she's sleeping before or after work). Kid has no job & no income so he's not contributing to bills but my friend feels bad for him & won't kick him out. The girl has tried to establish some ground rules, leaving notes telling him what not to touch & so forth, but he just tore up the notes & got mad at her. He also lectures her about how she should act and talk in her own home.

Of course, to try to make up for it, my friend just bought her a new car (2018 ford fusion) and the car note is more than half her paycheck per month. Even with her full paycheck she was borrowing gas $ from me (old vehicle had terrible gas mileage). She also just got her food stamps cut so I don't know what they are going to do for bills. My friend is getting more $ now per month, but if he gets sick/injured or somehow loses his job, they are screwed.

Latest posts

Back