What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are beautiful photos Highup.

I have plenty of space around here to store scrap metal. I don't think anyone is paying for that stuff right now. Economy is absolute crap in my area. I think what I would do is take any decent pieces down to the my workshop & store them in the outdoor covered area in case we can figure out how to use them for a project. I will likely not use the metal beam in the new shed as it doesn't look like it would fit, but I will keep it if it's in decent shape.

I'm thinking building a shed from scratch would be the best approach bc it's hard to find people who will actually install out here for less than $2k. If I do my measurements right & build stuff a piece at a time I can then remove the old shed and assemble the new one. I'm thinking of seeing if any of the roof parts from the metal shed can be reused though- at least as a temporary cover. So, I'm thinking I can frame each wall and label everything. I saw some sort of concrete blocks with notches in them for shed frames in a photo somewhere. I want to see if those are available & figure out the best lumber to use for the bottom plate. I want to avoid pouring more concrete if possible.

So, I'm thinking frame with studs 16" on center w/ horizontal pieces in between about halfway up for reinforcement and spacing, rafters at 16" on center as well (also with horizontals at halfway up) 2x6 or 2x8 ridge board & custom gusset plates notched for the ridge board (that will help avoid the need to toenail stuff), hurricane rated hangers (not sure what they are called exactly) for the rafters where they meet the wall on the outside so I don't have to toenail near the bird's mouth and risk splitting the wood. Small gable fan up top on back wall (above the wall and in the gable part), small window in the back wall centered under gable fan for some sunlight), solar powered lamp rated for outdoor use in case power is out & it's dark inside, etc.

If the sort of lean-to overhanging the front edge of the shed makes it too difficult to get a decent height, I might stagger the roof and have a lower portion underneath the lean-to and then have the rest of the roof with a steeper slope for my headroom (and maybe some storage for supplies). Front would have simple custom made double doors where one door overlaps the other. Expanding foam sprayed between studs, Reflectix on the ceiling.... I might even dig some French drains to help water drain a bit better.

Pic with simple double doors & the notched support blocks
sheddoubledoors.jpg

Various sketches of ideas for the shed & rafter setup
roughshedsketch2.pngbackofshedsketch2.pnggableroofideas.pnggussetplateplan2.png

Now some people were suggesting that I should have some sort of hatch to open the roof on one side to be able to access the well from above, but I'm not quite sure how to do that & still maintain structural integrity.

😁 Wish I had a decent digital camera Zan. Our area used to have 30 to 60 ships per month in our tiny port. They mostly loaded logs and lumber back "in the day".
These days they load more wood chips than anything else. The ship that left port today was loaded with logs. There is one port here where they can load logs and two that load wood chips. The last one that loaded and shipped lumber left the area a long time ago. Lumber and some plywood are still transported by train. We were once the largest lumber exporter in the world. ...... population, 16,000. Ain't that a hoot. We was somebody back "in the day"😁
What are the dimensions of that shed you need?

learned a little tool hack today. I've wanted an impact driver but never got one. A guy was working at my neighbors and said I love those hammer drills. He was using it as an impact driver. I never thought of it they turn avibrate just like an impact driver.

harbor freight has adapters to go from impact driver to socket. 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch. Pretty cheap

😁 Wish I had a decent digital camera Zan. Our area used to have 30 to 60 ships per month in our tiny port. They mostly loaded logs and lumber back "in the day".
These days they load more wood chips than anything else. The ship that left port today was loaded with logs. There is one port here where they can load logs and two that load wood chips. The last one that loaded and shipped lumber left the area a long time ago. Lumber and some plywood are still transported by train. We were once the largest lumber exporter in the world. ...... population, 16,000. Ain't that a hoot. We was somebody back "in the day"😁
What are the dimensions of that shed you need?
I imagine the wood smell was nice. Would have been cool to see those ships with the logs. I've seen old black & white pics of lumber rafts from the Mississippi River.
My town used to have some sort of paper mill that used a very noxious chemical. Whole town stunk like crazy. An online friend of mine happened to have gone through here before-- her husband actually worked at the local detention center. She said it was the nastiest smelling town she'd ever been in. It used to make me sick. Paper mill shut down years ago & the air has been much nicer.

I just went and tried to measure the shed. Outside wall to wall measurement of the depth was about 91" (not counting overhang for roof). I had trouble measuring the front as there was a big open space for the doorway & my measuring tape only goes to 8'. So I'd say it's roughly 10' for the front. So, looking at around 7.5' x 10' ? or does the roof overhang count? I'll have to go back out with a helper & a longer measuring tape for the front. I completely forgot to measure the height but my cows came to see me & brought mosquitoes and nats with them. I had to stop and sing the one cow her favorite lullaby before she let me walk away.

I got overheated as hell for the brief few minutes I was out there.

I'm hoping these two tropical storms that are blowing through won't get too bad. One of them will be hitting my area round the time of my dental appointment so I'm hoping my appointment won't be canceled or postponed.

Dental appointment got bumped to earlier. Marco passed without a problem. Got the tooth pulled but we all agreed it would be better to do the crown after the extraction site has had more time to heal (plus I wanted to let them get out of there sooner and I wanted to get out asap to take care of stuff). They gave me three 1 gallon jugs of distilled water. Dr. Honey lives up to her name-- very sweet. Everyone was super nice. They wouldn't let me carry any of the jugs of water. They don't know I had to lift a full back of water bottles later. I had to change gauze quite a bit within the first couple hours. Now I think the bleeding has stopped. I was able to eat some stew with one side of my mouth.
I saw some friends who evacuated- they just finished paying off their trailer but will probably lose it to the storm.
Hoping power won't be out for too long from this hurricane. I will likely lose phonelines due to flooding in the area but I'm on high ground.

Couple trees came down. One blocked a road and I had to make a uturn. Only 1/2 inch of rain. I always get a little anxious when I hear of hurricane remnants. In 72 we had Agnes. Dropped 12 inches on Lancaster County. Covered bridges got swept away. I would guess that would be 12 feet of water.

Latest posts

Back