What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a room prepped to accept Armstrong alterna tiles. The room is 20 x 20 and the tiles are black and white 16in by 16in.
I couldn't find my Armstrong trowel a couple days ago so I ordered a new one. It was supposed to be here this morning but didn't show up. It won't be here till Tuesday....... so that's how my day went. No one in town carries that Armstrong trowel, so I went home to look for one that would work close enough. I found one but it wasn't in very good shape. But it had about 30% more notches then the Armstrong trowel so that wasn't going to work.
....... I was looking for a spare wire brush in the back of my newer van, the one that has the transmission problem. Lo and behold underneath a plastic bag was my Armstrong trowel.
What a waste of a day.
I'm working at the fellas place over the weekend, hoping to get the room completed. His son and daughter-in-law and their newborn baby are coming up from California next week. He'd really like to get this job done.

I was going to cut the other yard. But when I ride the mower up on my trailer it will no longer go back down. If I was 2 people I could do it but have no help.

I didn't see the email. Using my phone and my friend just got Internet back. Mom and I were stranded for 3 days bc 4 trees fell in a pile on the road trapping us. No ac. No running water. Hot as hell. Only 1 bar of signal out in the yad but it kept dropping. Couldn't get a hold of parish road people or power company to report it. Finally called sheriff to ask them to pass the info on to appropriate people for help. They said we were s.o.l. and it would be days or weeks before we'd get help. I was finally able to get in touch with a friend who just got back to the state. He came out and cut a path through the trees so we could get out.
My brother had stayed at a friend's house so he wasn't trapped

Having a very hard time typing on my phone. Message was sent before I was done and I can't edit.
My brother bought a generator for friends house so he'd be comfortable but made no effort to get us any help, wasn't answering messages or calls.
If our friend hadn't come to cut the limbs I think we would have had heat stroke.
They finally cleared trees day before yesterday. Been crashed on friends couch since. Crowded here bc other people invited themselves over. This interface is ticking me off so I'll type more when I get a computer back.

I have a room prepped to accept Armstrong alterna tiles. The room is 20 x 20 and the tiles are black and white 16in by 16in.
I couldn't find my Armstrong trowel a couple days ago so I ordered a new one. It was supposed to be here this morning but didn't show up. It won't be here till Tuesday....... so that's how my day went. No one in town carries that Armstrong trowel, so I went home to look for one that would work close enough. I found one but it wasn't in very good shape. But it had about 30% more notches then the Armstrong trowel so that wasn't going to work.
....... I was looking for a spare wire brush in the back of my newer van, the one that has the transmission problem. Lo and behold underneath a plastic bag was my Armstrong trowel.
What a waste of a day.
I'm working at the fellas place over the weekend, hoping to get the room completed. His son and daughter-in-law and their newborn baby are coming up from California next week. He'd really like to get this job done.

Whats wrong with any type of trowel with about the same notch?
There is no way I am buying a trowel for every different type of flooring product or different glue

Thanks, rusty. I can't remember my password and didn't want to reset it there.
Jon, good question about the trowels.

Whats wrong with any type of trowel with about the same notch?
There is no way I am buying a trowel for every different type of flooring product or different glue
.....but then I'd have to have a trowel with the same notch. If there isn't one.... ya order an Armstrong trowel. 10 x higher quality than any other and delivery time would be the same anyway.
I actually found my old one in a place I never put it. Just tuned up the notches with a mini machinist file in my drill.
Finished prep and layed out the lines. I got the first section done. Tomorrow, we'll slide the bar and juke box over to this side where they will reside permanently, so then I can finish the rest of the room.

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_175944574.jpg
    IMG_20200905_175944574.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200905_175950176.jpg
    IMG_20200905_175950176.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 18
Thanks, rusty. I can't remember my password and didn't want to reset it there.
Jon, good question about the trowels.
If Armstrong specified their adhesive for a specific product, that's what I'm using.
I days of old paper backed sheet goods, most all materials were the same, and we used either Armstrong or Henry's multipurpose adhesive.
These tiles are very similar to a standard 1/8" VCT tile, but the back side has no pattern and the textured top surface is a wear layer. If they don't list their standard thindpread adhesive as an option, I'm using the adhesive they recommend and the notch they require. The material cost is about $120 per carton, so this is expensive to the customer. The area is 20 by 22 feet. I'm not second guessing Armstrong's requirements.

Latest posts

Back