What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did an ice cream shop with black and white tiles 30 years ago.
These are 16 inchers. Room is about 20 by 20, to there are close to full tiles on all sides of the room. I don't think 12 by 12s would have looked nearly as good. These are textured a bit like stone.

Don, the ups charges would have been $15 or so because I couldn't wait for it to be shipped with other supplies. The trowel price was probably close to dealer cost I'm assuming, through my carpet one dealer. I saw them online for rediculous prices.

Paid my grandson to cut the other yard.
He cuts it for $20. I have to load my mower on a trailer, hook up the trailer, drive across town, unload the mower, cut the grass, put the mower back on the trailer, drive back home, unload the mower and unhook the trailer. Giving him $20 just makes sense,

He cuts it for $20. I have to load my mower on a trailer, hook up the trailer, drive across town, unload the mower, cut the grass, put the mower back on the trailer, drive back home, unload the mower and unhook the trailer. Giving him $20 just makes sense,
I wish your nephew could come cut the weeds in my yard. Lol. Too hot for me to get on a riding mower.

If Armstrong specified their adhesive for a specific product, that's what I'm using.
I days of old paper backed sheet goods, most all materials were the same, and we used either Armstrong or Henry's multipurpose adhesive.
These tiles are very similar to a standard 1/8" VCT tile, but the back side has no pattern and the textured top surface is a wear layer. If they don't list their standard thindpread adhesive as an option, I'm using the adhesive they recommend and the notch they require. The material cost is about $120 per carton, so this is expensive to the customer. The area is 20 by 22 feet. I'm not second guessing Armstrong's requirements.

You got to watch what type of glue you use
Acrylic type glue so one has to use more expensive one the cheaper ones ccan react to heat making vinyl planks etc shrink in the sun no trouble with plastic backed vinyls though

Latex type glues can go yellow under these new plastic type backings. Also I have seen commercial type vinyls go a slimy sticky mess after a few years. If some layer has used acrylic the vinyl is a lot harder to lift Latex and vinyl backings dont like each other but latex type glues are more dead set than acrylic
Now back to the trowel you must have more money than sense :)
I would be wary of using a power tool to re notch any trowel used for vinyl flooring
Those trowel notches dont leave the trowel flat between the notches which could leave swill marks mirroring through the vinyl I use a smaller type 3 cornered file to keep the notches how I want them
You actually think I am going to take a different trowel into a house for every different type of vinyl
Also when you finish spreading an area drop the trowel into a bucket of water, self clean so the notches dont block up with drying glue
I would be keeping the heat off you tiles for a day
With vinyl floors these days good gluing is critical, no puddles, lumps etc

Last edited:
I have a triangular file somewhere for recutting old trowels.
I use those a lot too very small ones so the v can be cut well.
Larger files tend to have a flat spot in the middle, at least the cheaper ones do.
This is a u notch trowel. The U is extremely tiny so it's actually a half moon. Here's the round file that I have in my drill. It's a needle file. It's very well made and works fantastic for these tiny notches. The girl is 10 times faster than doing it by hand and makes for much smoother finish inside the U.

Attachments

• 1599442809777103446337924630607.jpg
    1599442809777103446337924630607.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200906_183414001.jpg
    IMG_20200906_183414001.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200906_183321939.jpg
    IMG_20200906_183321939.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 21
Even though you put in a lot of the work, he doesn't necessarily need to know that. He just needs to learn if you work you earn money.

Don, the ups charges would have been $15 or so because I couldn't wait for it to be shipped with other supplies. The trowel price was probably close to dealer cost I'm assuming, through my carpet one dealer. I saw them online for rediculous prices.
The reason I ask I can never find that particular trowel size. I asked the carpet one store that I do work for if they could bring some in and just sell them to the customer along with the adhesive since it’s a hard to find size and he said they are $40 . That didn’t seem right

The reason I ask I can never find that particular trowel size. I asked the carpet one store that I do work for if they could bring some in and just sell them to the customer along with the adhesive since it’s a hard to find size and he said they are $40 . That didn’t seem right
I recall, or maybe not 😁 having a Powerhold trowel with those notches. Looking online I saw them for well over $30. She was going to get me one I believe at her cost. It didn't show up the day it was supposed to....... the day I needed it. I went home and accidently found my Armstrong trowel.
After the trowel didn't show up and I found my old trowel, I mentioned to her that I found mine. She said she'd put that new trowel with supplies so I don't have to buy it. UPS shipping raised the cost to almost $36. They are really nice trowels. Almost impossible to ruin one and it's easy to re-notch. They just have a better feel than other brands.
Pony up the money and you will have one. Mine has lasted for years. Use a super small needle file in a cordless drill to re-notch the small side.

Last edited:
My bar scribe is 18"..... I don't know why they are called 18" because the slot only allows for about 15".
I McGuivered mine into a 22 incher so I could use it on there 16" tiles.
I used a scrap of flat bar, tapered and rounded the end then stuck the extention onto the scribe with hot glue. Worked marvelously.
It will easily come apart with alcohol.

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_125717390.jpg
    IMG_20200907_125717390.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200907_125752273.jpg
    IMG_20200907_125752273.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 22
I will have to look at the latest pics in this thread when I get my power back and can use my computer.

Latest posts

Back