What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I learned in ‘14 when I bought 4Runner is that you can negotiate the price of the warranty after the salesman gets done. You negotiate the warranty with the financial person separate.
I've never given thought to that but then again I've never had a new car.
But people still call my phone and want me to buy an extended car warranty for my 1993 S10. 😁

Next could be problem getting timber decking replaced
The floor joists run at right angles to the deck starting in the lounge
How rotten are they?
Your are correct highup it is facing north so the decking doesnt dry out

They pulled the deck apart while I replaced the vinyl in a little bathroom
The house used to have galv spouting which according to the old house owner kept on leaking which didnt quite cover the whole deck

Attachments

• DECK.jpg
    DECK.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 24
Jon, have you considered getting solar powered lights or do you have too much shade? I think they make solar powered flood lights now.
Those joists look pretty rough.

Highup, I think I will skip any underlayment as it's an added expense & I know it isn't needed. It's weird that the product page now advertises that underlayment & recommends it in the product description, but they have previously said not to use extra underlayment (aside from moisture barrier if we so choose).

I'm hoping the stuff I got is as durable as what my friend got. It has a higher mil wear layer (something like 20 while my friend's has 5 or 6).

I hope the floor leveling & carpet install goes well.

I'm debating whether or not I should just take up all my parquet tiles in the kitchen. The bubbled spot near the pantry broke & chunks have fallen out. Mom was slightly tripping on it. I really want to save some of the wood that isn't damaged though to re-use in some other project. Just need to figure out what though. I hate to throw it all out.

I didn't do too much today. Slept, fed cats, went to the grocery store, & cooked burgers. Mom of course thanked me by saying "Why did you overcook my burger?" instead of "thank you". It was pink in the middle so it wasn't overcooked. She's just picky as hell. My brother thanked me & said the burger was perfectly cooked.

Still waiting for my friend to come help with some stuff but he's having drama with his fiance (soon to be ex) again. At this point she's just using him for a roof over her head, cellphone, internet, & food. She doesn't even act like they are a couple anymore. Doesn't sleep in the bed with him. Instead she's sleeping on the couch with a 20-yr-old house guest. Long story short, it seems like she intends to cheat on my friend with this guy & my friend is afraid to leave them alone together at the house. Last message I got from him was saying he's about done with her & he had to miss a work trip bc of her BS.

The dog opened my door again & let a bunch of cats in. Aminatu has her back leg wrapped around Sir Hammington's stomach & it looks funny.

So I took a closer look at the documents Toyota gave me, the estimates on the cost of repairs.

They said the front struts are leaking. The 4runner uses a system called X-REAS which connects shocks diagonally via hydraulic lines. That means you don't replace leaking shocks by axle, you replace all 4. Normally, shocks run $50-100 each. These shocks run aroun $600 each. Total repair bill for them would be $3300 plus $100 for a 4 wheel alignment.

The running board that is sticking, they say should be replaced. Cost $2500.

I bought the extended warranty and that's good to 2022. They put in a claim for both. We will see.

I did find out that I can put standard shocks on the vehicle without a problem or loss of handling. If they don't pay, I'm wiping down the shocks and won't replace them until it fails an inspection or I feel handling issues.

Oh, any my warranty provides for a rental. I already know this job will take more than a day.

So, did I tell you about the black cat that crossed my path last weekend?

Ended up deciding not to go to the store bc I had an upset stomach & everyone else was sleeping. My brother just randomly left for no apparent reason without a word. Not sure where he's going or why. I wish he would communicate with people.
I'm thinking of making myself a burger & then making some soup for Mom for dinner.

They going to put new ones beside the old ones bolted together as they dont want to have to pull all that outside wall down which is sitting on the joor joists
Hope they cap both joists with a layer or two of tar paper..... Something that spans the joists by a couple inches to shed or divert standing water. Copper world work if they use copper nails to install the decking. ;)

So I took a closer look at the documents Toyota gave me, the estimates on the cost of repairs.

They said the front struts are leaking. The 4runner uses a system called X-REAS which connects shocks diagonally via hydraulic lines. That means you don't replace leaking shocks by axle, you replace all 4. Normally, shocks run $50-100 each. These shocks run aroun $600 each. Total repair bill for them would be $3300 plus $100 for a 4 wheel alignment.

The running board that is sticking, they say should be replaced. Cost $2500.

I bought the extended warranty and that's good to 2022. They put in a claim for both. We will see.

I did find out that I can put standard shocks on the vehicle without a problem or loss of handling. If they don't pay, I'm wiping down the shocks and won't replace them until it fails an inspection or I feel handling issues.

Oh, any my warranty provides for a rental. I already know this job will take more than a day.

So, did I tell you about the black cat that crossed my path last weekend?
Car dealerships could almost give cars away. They make rediculous amounts on maintenance and repair.
If I bought a new car, it would have an extended warranty.

Hope they cap both joists with a layer or two of tar paper..... Something that spans the joists by a couple inches to shed or divert standing water. Copper world work if they use copper nails to install the decking. ;)

Pass Me only pay the bill They have to make it safe for 15 or so years and I dont think I will care I will be 95

Latest posts

Back