What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We actually gave away our old dive tanks to a dive shop. Owner had gone diving with my dad a few times. They participated in an underwater pumpkin carving contest at some point. He was sad when my dad died but he gave us some $ for some of the equipment & other stuff we just let him have to pass on to others as freebies or use for dive lessons. Back in Guam though, he still had a dive tank from the 1960s or 70s & the dive shop there wanted to put it in a museum. LOL.
I didn't enjoy diving much. Tank would pop up and hit me in the back of the head sometimes bc the vests never fit right. Like Conan O'Brien, I have long legs and an inordinately short torso.

Today was a mostly lazy day. I did a little cleaning, fed the animals, and made a last minute trip to the store to get gas and a blanket for the truck. It's going to be getting colder so a blanket will be nice before it gets warmed up. Plus my friend is super skinny & has no body fat so he gets very cold very fast. I'm taking him to the doctor tomorrow & want him to be warm. Need to find and wash the heated blanket that went in the truck. One of the dogs peed on it while on the way to the vet.

I can't remember if I stated my plans already or not, but I was thinking about the window trim for the shower (since Mom was not Ok with just covering the window & wants the shower wall cut around it. I got a surround that the mfr said can be cut. The Sterling window trim kit was too small & too expensive. Got a window kit for $100 less that was larger-- Mustee thermoplastic Duratrim (3 pieces). They say to cut it to size, but I was thinking that since it's relatively thin, I could attempt to lightly score the back & use a hair dryer to warm it enough to try to bend it up at the corners of the sill to make a better seal, then overlap the side pieces. I've seen people do that with plastic & a hair dryer does get hot enough. So long as I have a straight edge, if it breaks off then it's still ok bc it will be like cutting it. I'd start with only a 2" piece & if it fails horribly, I still have enough leftover to cut further down. It's a 24" rough opening and the piece is 36".

My brain is not working properly to know what 6 and 10 speeds are... LOL.

Took my friend to the ER today to get an MRI. Took over 6 hours for him to get the MRI and then another hour and a half before they released him. They told him it would be less than an hour for results but it was an hour 20. He's only 30 but it turns out he had a stroke. Has a blood clot in his head that is preventing his eye from working properly. He needs to see a neurologist to see what can be done about it. Meanwhile, he's trying to take it easy. TX roadhouse closed before he got out but I ordered on the phone and went to get it and set it on the heated seat under a blanket until he got out.

While I was out a package was delivered to our porch. Mom saw the delivery. She later heard the dogs barking & growling like crazy. Someone (I suspect neighbors) came over to see if there was anything to steal-- opened the package, dumped the contents & then left. Either they didn't see anything they want or got spooked by the dogs. Scumbags. We need to get some cameras set up with warning signs about a security system so this won't happen again.

10 speed transmissions. I think Ford and Chevy did a joint venture and created one for their pickups. I could be wrong.
You don't need cameras you need bigger dogs that aren't on leashes. 😁

Haven't done a thing except Youtubn'. I need to head over to my wood floor job and turn quarter round into base shoe.
Only 120', I hope it goes well. I shouldn't have left the gap as large as the instructions said. I could have just used base shoe.

Highup, some of the jobs you do remind of crazy things I did. Had 2, 6' x 65' hallways. Cut a 12 x 65 down the middle so there would be no seams. Took it up an elevator, took 3 of us to roll it out. Put a 2x4 across two doorways to stretch it from. We did one hall each day.

I've always done crazy stuff ...that's the kind of work that comes my way. It's not all that much fun until it's completed.
I've never liked large jobs because I'm not efficient enough to do volume. Im too nit-picky over stuff that probably doesn't matter. OCD and commercial work are not a very good mix. 😁

I've always done crazy stuff ...that's the kind of work that comes my way. It's not all that much fun until it's completed.
I've never liked large jobs because I'm not efficient enough to do volume. Im too nit-picky over stuff that probably doesn't matter. OCD and commercial work are not a very good mix. 😁
One of the first jobs I did on my own was a round room.

Got the vehicles ready for winter, checked oil, tires, etc. Need to drive my wife's car more. Battery was down from sitting.
That's something I need to do because I didn't do it while the weather was good.
I know I need to grease my u-joints and my front wheel wheel bearings, replace my starter because it made a clicking sound a week ago and I tapped on it with a hammer and that fixed it.... It's been operating flawlessly since that time. I did pull a greasy looking fiberglass looking stranded thingy out of a vent near the brushes. That greasy stranded stuff was like graphite oil I'm sure that's because of the carbon from the brushes mixing with the oil the leaks onto the starter. Anyhow I need to get that replaced or take it apart and find out if it just needs brushes.
Right now I just don't have time.

Off hand I can only recall working in one round house. Actually a geodesic dome house. The lower part of the house was all one single room. It was probably 35 ft wide and because of doorways and heater vents I had to stretch the room towards the center to keep from moving those doorways and heater vents. I stretched and stay tacked within one foot of the first seam and all the way across the room. Then I cut an inch or more out of the seam and re-seamed it. Then I stretched towards the second seam and did the same routine. That was a strange one but it turned out really nice.

That sounds like the best route to go. Carpet can't stand angles and in a round room or roundhouse everything seems to be at an angle. Seems like you'd almost have to go around the room twice to pull it evenly.

Come to think of it if somebody gave me a round room they'd probably ask for a double border all the way around it. That makes me wonder why there isn't a smiley face with a gun pointed to the temple. 😁

Round room, a piece of cake. I did an actually planetarium back in my earlier days as the journeyman on the job. Just the hallways that went around it. It had a 72 ft diameter and we were within 1 inch at the center point, But when we got to the last piece to put in it took a 12 ft piece on half of it and tapered down to 6 ft on the other end. Why? We never figured it out. I amounted to being just a big donut with the projection room in the middle. It was fun chasing the bubbles. Oh carpet was stretch in.

I'm going to guess that planetarium wasn't round it was probably shaped like the oval of our solar system. Even in 72 ft, no carpet is going to be 6 ft out of whack because of stretching.

Yesterday I went to Samsclub to get more water, went back home to drop off groceries & pick up Mom to go vote in local runoff elections. Then we dropped by to see my friend. He gave more details on his situation. He'd had a blood clot & had gotten so stressed out that the clot broke into multiple pieces but apparently one piece is interfering with signal to his eye. His doctor told him not to lift anything heavy & to take it easy until they can figure out what to do.
Monday his fiance has her trial but she still has not met or spoken with her attorney. I suspect he's the type who tries to get clients to take plea deals bc he has made zero effort-- and he's the replacement attorney bc her previous attorney never communicated with her either. So, she's supposed to go on trial & never even got her lawyer's phone number. I wrote a statement to be given to the court but I will also show up in person & agree to testify on her behalf if necessary. I suspect they will not actually have a real trial. I told her if she doesn't get to see her attorney before the trial she should inform the judge that she had inadequate counsel. These charges should have been dropped. Hell, they never should have been brought in the first place. This is a "stand your ground" state & she was physically assaulted in her own home by someone who was trespassing & who stole her shoes (and kicked her while wearing her stolen shoes).
A halfway decent attorney could argue "clean hands doctrine", "stand your ground" and "self defense". The only reason they brought charges was bc the trespasser was a minor (but was still larger & much heavier than her). They also violated her civil rights by keeping her in jail longer than legally allowed prior to her bail hearing. If she could afford to sue them for it, she would.
Sorry, I get worked up about injustices. LOL.
It makes me wonder how many other people with court-appointed attorneys get the same treatment where they never even meet or hear from their lawyers until the trial date.

Latest posts

Back