What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got another couple rooms put together today so there's only two rooms left. The installer is going to stretch the second room that I did then move on to the last two rooms.
And I do mean the last two rooms number 23 and 24. I brought most of my tools back home today. I'm going to go back down tomorrow and do whatever I can. Position the carpet pieces where they need to be and then start trimming seams. They are going to be sealed with hot glue not latex. There's no time for the latex to dry and the job needs to be done tomorrow. The installer is doing what he's told to do and I understand that. I did do some walk around in the rooms and checked out three of the long seams and one of the shorter ones my rubbing my hands along the carpet pile looking to see if any loose ends with sticking up if there were any hard spots because of the sealer.
I'll have to admit that this seems do look okay and I don't see anything to complain about.
Overall once these rooms are all vacuumed up they're going to look really nice.. I don't think we're going to find any blue tape on our part of the job.
I'm going to be one happy camper after tomorrow. Taking a couple days off to screw around and plan on starting jobs that have been waiting on me for 5 weeks.

I wish we had a video forum where people could put videos.
Whistlin Diesel is one of the more famous people on YouTube. He has tons of "haters" The more people that send in negative and hate comments, the more he does just to piss them off more. 😁
His entire channel is about destroying things. Mostly cars and trucks, and some of them are worth a lot of money. One was a custom Audi R8 turbo, and I'm guessing it was approaching $200,000. He bought it in California and within a day or two he hit a coyote and did some major front end damage. From there it got really ugly. 😁 To his credit and my amazement he did take that one back to a shop to have it repaired.
He buys trucks, cars and everything under the sun, then runs the crap out of them and just trust me, very few of them live for 2 weeks. It doesn't matter what he paid it doesn't matter how shiny the paint is. We all know what is going to do we just don't know how. That's the fun part. 😉
Yes it does sound stupid. He makes millions doing this. So he destroys a $150,000 pickup. I would bet he makes well over $ 350,000 by doing it because of his dry humor and his YouTube antics. You have to look at his channel as if he's an actor or a comedian. The persona you see is his stage presence. I've seen videos of him talking with his parents and talking seriously he is actually one really cool guy and very smart. You can't tell it from his videos.
When he destroys perfectly good cars is basic theme is.....
"It's just stuff". Meaning that material things are replaceable. They aren't family like brothers and sisters they are just stuff. It took me a while to accept what he does but once you see it......well, it gets really funny.
.... Or you can just become a "hater"
He loves to screw with the haters. 😁
Anyway there is a fad with cars or should I say pickups that is really crazy. Everyone was crazy when they were kids and did crazy things to their cars. This is unbelievably crazy and unsafe. They are called, squatted trucks. He bought one so he could destroy it. When he bought this, it was one of the most unsafe vehicles I've ever seen. It was hit with a cutting torch to drop the back end by notching out the frame and it looks like it was done by a 10-year-old. I'm surprised the truck didn't collapse as he rolled it off the trailer.
Yeah I know this is a long introduction. His new mission is to sell jars of shredded trucks so he can buy more of these trucks to get them off the face of the Earth and make the world a safer place.

Enjoy!
.....or hate, its up to you. 😁

Mark as far as that Thermo sealing on seams. I have a 100 w gun. They don't necessarily get a lot hotter they just have the ability to pump lots of glue. I don't know if it works with the orcon tip but one thing I like about Thermo sealing is it when you have a small filament of primary backing that you would normally snip off..... If you stop moving the tip of the glue gun for a second, that filament just melts off. I never have to go look over my seams to see if there's something sticking up somewhere.

There's no time for the latex to dry and the job needs to be done tomorrow.
To dry latex instantly take a scrape of the carpet you are working with[this is very important] and use rubbing acholol, just tip the bottle on the scrap and rub the seam line, works like dry gas and instantly evaporates the moisture. Works like a dream. Just don't do it near an open flame. Ancient Chinese secret.

113 Sunday in Portland Oregon, that is just crazy.
Even though I live on the Oregon coast and it's only 6 miles away, the Oregon coast temperatures were supposed to be around 70 according to the news.
That temperature however is on the coast. Even though I'm 6 miles or less Eastward from the actual coastline we got up to 78 today Not surprising at all.
When a forecast for "the coast" is read on the local news weather forecast, it means actually on the coast.
It's supposed to be 114° in Grants Pass, Oregon on Sunday. Grants Pass is right on interstate 5, the main thoroughfare from Canada to Mexico. Grants Pass is about 2 hours away from me.
If they want to live there then they can deal with that kind of weather. It's always hot in the summer and always cold in the winter.
It's common in the summertime to have temperatures around 100°, but if it hits 114 that's going to be pushing the limit. Ouch!

Last edited:
You know, there are only a few temperatures i monitor in the summer
not so bad
kinda bad
hot
too hot
too God damn hot for this shit
and....
good luck getting me off the couch with the ac blasting.
Today was the last one on the list and tomorrow is hotter
My translucent skin and red beard mean my people were not destined to be warm.

Highup, that is very cool about the friend who gives you stuff. Glad the new vacuum worked.
CJ, cute kitty. I miss having chickens. I used to pet them. My hens actually liked to sit on people's laps. One time I put a hen on the lap of a lawyer/federal judge friend of my dad's (guy was a jerk) and the chicken crapped on him. I may or may not have done it on purpose. :p
I can't finish a meal without having to give at least one little piece to my dogs. Fippy will sit on my foot to let me know he wants something. Princess will get on the back of the couch and start to climb on my shoulder a bit. The cats will just try to climb in to the plate/bowl. Itsy likes to reach a paw in and grab stuff. She's a smart little kitty. Tries to open lids by trying to turn them with her paw but can't anchor the containers to keep them from turning.

Went to Samsclub early this morning to get more water & cat food. It's my friend's birthday so I got him some cupcakes with buttercream frosting (they have ones with whipped cream & he doesn't like them). Employee told me which ones were buttercream as both kinds just said "icing". Friend was very happy. We were sitting there chatting when a tech from his ISP came over to take his modem. Friend told the guy he hadn't even received a bill or shutoff notice. The tech said that was crappy and suggested he call them to see if they could stop the shutoff. Friend said he gets paid Monday and can they just hold off the two days. Tech was saying they should be reasonable about it. Nope. Chick jerked him around while the tech made faces and said they were full of crap to act that way. CS chick told my friend she asked her supervisor if they could hold off until Monday for full payment or take partial today (he was $20 shy in his bank account). She said supervisor said "no". I said "ask to speak to the supervisor" He did and she said "He's out to lunch" and friend said "Then how did you supposedly just ask him something 13 seconds ago?" She put him on hold. Btw, it took 10 minutes for this chick to even find out & tell him how much he owed. They apparently doubled his monthly payments without increasing the speeds or service. It went from $40 to $80. They also had a reconnect fee on there even though they had never disconnected it. He asked if they really wanted to lose a customer permanently for being $20 shy instead of taking partial payment and getting the rest on Monday or just waiting until Monday. In the past they had done that, but this chick was lying to him. I finally told him I would give him the $ to put in his account so he wouldn't overdraft. He then asked if he could make the payment then and she said "hold on a minute". She had tried to insist that if the tech was there they had to cut it off. Tech said BS. We had him laughing while my friend was on hold. Eventually the chick said he could pay then and not get disconnected. Tech was happy. We offered him a cupcake but he declined. He had his lunch in the truck. Thanked us for making him laugh and went to eat. I took my friend to the bank and deposited the $ in his account.

Then we found out my friend somehow has Disney+ so we watched the first episode of Loki. It as pretty funny. There's a comedian playing one of the employees on the show and the guy is pretty funny. There was a line where the guy off-camera just calls out "It sounds duuumb!" and we were all laughing. Great cast and writing is entertaining. Owen Wilson is great on it.

Several people called during the show to wish my friend happy birthday. My mom called too and wanted us to get mail and bring her home something to eat. We were going to watch all 3 Loki episodes but just watched the 1 since mom wanted us back home.

Another friend visited. He and his gf purchased a damaged house in a nearby small town. They may lose it though bc their neighbors are jerks and keep petitioning the town to condemn the house and tear it down. Only one room was hit by a tree and the rest of the house is OK and they've been fixing it up. But neighbors for whatever reason have sticks up their butts about it. Friend had to leave to go take someone to cut the tree up. Hopefully they can convince the town to let them fix it instead of condemning it. They were told if it gets condemned they will have to pay the city for demo and if they want to re-build they will have to pay all sorts of permits.

I held & petted some kittens before heading out. Unloaded stuff from the truck and took a nap. Just got up and cooked for mom again (she had me bring her McDonalds earlier).

Tired now but need to eat something when I take more of my meds in about 30 min.

You know, there are only a few temperatures i monitor in the summer
not so bad
kinda bad
hot
too hot
too God damn hot for this shit
and....
good luck getting me off the couch with the ac blasting.
Today was the last one on the list and tomorrow is hotter
My translucent skin and red beard mean my people were not destined to be warm.
I honestly feel really bad for you and people that live in your area. I have an uncle that lives near Boise and much of my family still lives near Sacramento and I'm sure they getting the heat too.
I don't like heat either. To me heat is 72, hot is 78, and beyond that...,
..... Well beyond that has no purpose that's beneficial to mankind.
Give me 68 degrees or give me death!
I may have stolen that quote, so if you know the author, let me know so I can give him credit.

I was in Vegas for 107, I wanted to be in the @ 115 range to feel it for a day, it was the dry hot kinda like oven heat, in Florida humidity accompanies heat and you stand outside and start to pour sweat. I call it “stupid hot”

Chris, what saw stand takes up too much room in your van? I have two Bosch TB-4(going off memory) that worked well doing hardwoods.

Attachments

• EEF5C7ED-F995-41C3-BB3D-2CC9E00ED5DB.jpeg
    EEF5C7ED-F995-41C3-BB3D-2CC9E00ED5DB.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 21
Chris, what saw stand takes up too much room in your van? I have two Bosch TB-4(going off memory) that worked well doing hardwoods.

I’ve got the Dewalt rolling saw stand right now. Gonna go back to the classic Dewalt miter saw stand. Maybe I just need to get another box van for the space again. :rolleyes: I’m doing a lot of finish carpentry now since everybody and their grandmother can click a floor together. That and the pricing for flooring is lame in the South so I have to adapt to the situation at hand.

Space in the van is at a premium. Everything is a work in progress, constantly evolving with the changes on the job site. In the city you can’t always pull right up to the front door. Maybe you have to park on the street, around the corner, a loading zone, pack your saw up to the 5th floor or roll the saw around to the back deck…, so the rolling saw stand was great for avoiding having to carry your saw long distances. Those things are bulky and heavy. New construction in the boonies I can pull right up to the house and set my saw up in the living room so that’s not an issue right now as well as I want to fit a second 12” sliding saw/ stand in my van for those jobs that we have multiple guys on. One saw for every 2 to 3 guys. One dedicated cut man can feed 2 guys work. Any more and somebody is waiting. Waiting is wasted time. Big houses it’s nice to have the saw set up close to where your working, one saw upstairs an one saw downstairs or the pool house, garage… Or one saw can be dedicated to cutting crown in the nested position while the other saw is for everything else. You know, it’s all about eliminating steps and being efficient with your movements. You either change with the times or get left behind.

Not raining right now. Battery died on Chrysler remote. Good thing a programmed a new one a couple weeks ago. Changed the battery and reprogrammed the old one. Takes about 10 seconds. Dealers charge $100 or more. Don't need any equipment either.

Latest posts

Back