What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would assume so, but doubling is like.....
...twice as much. 😉
That must just sounds crazy. One would think the price would move up every few months not just all at once.

I ordered a new saw stand for my old DW708 and built some wings for it yesterday and today cus that’s my thing.
View attachment 13476View attachment 13479View attachment 13477View attachment 13478
View attachment 13480

Here’s my DW780 and the setup I made for it some months ago. It’s my go to saw but I keep tryin to make the other saws like this one.
View attachment 13481
View attachment 13482

And last but not least I made this for my 20 volt 7.25 slider. This one works great for 1/4 round and short base.
View attachment 13483View attachment 13484
No more saws! I’m running out of room!

I like what you're doing with them but isn't it a pain in the ass getting that shit around on jobs?
Most of my jobs these days are one or two day jobs. Can't imagine lugging around more stuff.
I bought a kobalt 7 1/4" slider just because it's small and light. Easy to transport..... Much easier than my 12" DeWalt slider on a collapsible stand. Ended up with the kobalt because that's the only corded saw that size I could find. I really am not a fan of kobalt tools. Had a wet saw the motor burned out after only about 10 jobs. And I think this saw is about to burn up too. I can smell the motor burning the last couple jobs.

Finally broke down yesterday and got a Milwaukee cordless finish nailer. Been hesitant on what brand to go with because I don't have many cordless tools and wanted to go with a brand I can stick with for cordless. Milwaukee definitely has an arsenal of cordless shit.
I've had a Makita drill & driver for years with no issues. I was looking for a Makita finish nailer but they don't make them anymore. So looks like I'll be transitioning into Milwaukee tools....

I like what you're doing with them but isn't it a pain in the ass getting that shit around on jobs?
Most of my jobs these days are one or two day jobs. Can't imagine lugging around more stuff.
I bought a kobalt 7 1/4" slider just because it's small and light. Easy to transport..... Much easier than my 12" DeWalt slider on a collapsible stand. Ended up with the kobalt because that's the only corded saw that size I could find. I really am not a fan of kobalt tools. Had a wet saw the motor burned out after only about 10 jobs. And I think this saw is about to burn up too. I can smell the motor burning the last couple jobs.

Finally broke down yesterday and got a Milwaukee cordless finish nailer. Been hesitant on what brand to go with because I don't have many cordless tools and wanted to go with a brand I can stick with for cordless. Milwaukee definitely has an arsenal of cordless shit.
I've had a Makita drill & driver for years with no issues. I was looking for a Makita finish nailer but they don't make them anymore. So looks like I'll be transitioning into Milwaukee tools....

It’s a pain for sure. I usually only tote around one big saw at a time as well so my van isn’t completely overrun with all my saws. What I’m cuttin for the day determines what saw goes in the van. The 708 is my old saw and realistically won’t get used for crap unless I’m on a job with multiple people and I can justify bringing another saw along.

I do a lot of finish work and all the trim comes in 16’ goods. I got so pissed off over the years tryin to monkey F around with using the saw stand supports and/ or roller stand supports and having long ass pieces of trim flopping all over the place. Then you’re constantly having to move and adjust the support stands and just overall cussin a lot. 8’ trim isn’t all that bad. 12’ is so so. 16’ will just piss you off if you don’t have a decent platform to support it cus it flops all over the place. That and your miters look like crap cus now you’re fighting the material the whole time. It’s bad enough that I install plastic floors but sloppy miters are just inexcusable.

What I really like about them is they also double as a work table to hold cut pieces and to glue corners up on. I’ve had a couple guys think I’m nuts for goin overboard with these wings but after they work with me for a day and have a chance to use them themselves, the 15 minutes to set them up and break them down is well worth it just in the frustration you save throughout the day.

CDD1D924-A841-4B58-A9B2-699A04086264.jpeg
B0E81D84-21BB-4430-A4D2-C4EA5A5A5B7A.jpeg

After building the most recent wings what I shoulda done is just bought a butcher block counter top and split that in half and used that for my wings. Wouldn’t have cost me much more compared to the cost of plywood and they would be sturdy as heck to throw in n out of the van.

Attachments

• 99CE3547-B0A2-4F65-B328-293BB64E4FFB.jpeg
    99CE3547-B0A2-4F65-B328-293BB64E4FFB.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Another thing to think about is your table saw setup. Like the miter saw wings, a table saw stand is also a game changer. Working at a comfortable height is gonna be safer as well as give you more consistent quality cuts.

Like many guys out there I used to set my saw on the ground for years. Not really a big deal since 99% of what I was cutting was a 4’ piece of laminate. Then one day I walked into a job site and 3 Mexicans were sitting on paint buckets and eating lunch while using a wooden wire spool for a table. The spool was the perfect size and height to set my table saw on so I grabbed the spool and used that thing for a couple years. Man how nice it was to not have to lift my fat ass up and down an extra hundred times a day. It would slightly wobble a little but still better than setting my saw on the ground. Then one day I had a buddy give me an old Rousseau table saw stand he got from a customer. Of course my saw didn’t fit into that specific stand but I could instantly tell that the stand was a game changer so I dropped the $300 and ordered one for myself. Couple modifications later and the one in the pics is what I’m rollin with now. I added the router lift and also bought the out feed table. Currently I exclusively do LVP so I don’t hardly use the table saw much but it sure is nice when I have to rip down a reducer or to route dados, splines and make stair noses or other transitions. Just imagine modifying stair nose while kneeling on a wet lawn or some broken up janky driveway. Now think about doing that while standing up and working at a comfortable height while using feather boards and a push stick.

Game changer!

45B83A00-0A12-4343-8F75-2064F84DF2D9.jpeg
C61FD655-1C4B-4A97-A47C-890E741CABC5.jpeg
893ECD30-EF6C-406B-8E46-A25A399660AB.jpeg
517209F1-3993-4505-919F-5712077F7D30.jpeg

Definitely a great thing to have and use. I just can't find a way to cram more shit into my van as it is.
I'm looking to get one of the Ford transits. I currently have a Chevy express 3/4 ton extended. Looks like theres a lot more room in the transit though. Just really hard to find an extended one at the moment. The local dealer is looking for one now.

Definitely a great thing to have and use. I just can't find a way to cram more shit into my van as it is.
I'm looking to get one of the Ford transits. I currently have a Chevy express 3/4 ton extended. Looks like theres a lot more room in the transit though. Just really hard to find an extended one at the moment. The local dealer is looking for one now.

One thing that helps me with space in the van is I don’t have to worry about picking up and delivering materials but once in a blue moon cus I ain’t no delivery guy’s flunky. I’ve had to pick up and deliver maybe 3 small jobs in the past 6 months and that’s only cus the warehouse guys either quit or got fired. Been that way goin on the past 6 or 7 years now so any space I have in my van is dedicated to my tools. I do occasionally have to deal with rip n haul but I can usually manage to throw that crap on top of my stuff for one day jobs. Bigger rip n haul jobs I have to empty my van and make a dump run the put all my shit back in at the end of the job a few days later.

Smart move Tom. I love my Milwaukee tools.
What gauge finish gun did you get?
Be careful with the Milwaukee tools, it’s an addiction… like crack 🤪

Internet is really crappy right now so pics aren't loading. I'll have to try again after midnight to see if it's any better. It's during "peak" hours so even when I'm not over bandwidth limit we get throttled. So, we are double throttled right now.

Pics I have seen in the past of Arizona look a lot like New Mexico/Albuquerque area. We don't have stucco homes around here. Only commercial buildings are ever in stucco from what I've seen.

Heated up dinner for mom and washed two packs of celery she got, put them in a ziplock bag (with it open to let it breathe) and got her some pieces since she wanted to snack. The doctor mentioned celery with peanutbutter or cheese as a good snack. He mentioned bleu cheese though. Yuck.

Never did go for my walk. My fat keester didn't get out of this bed until 4pm.

I saw a prototype hammer that loads nails into it and lets you hammer them out- there's a youtube video (but I couldn't get the whole thing to load). There's a mailing list to get info when it is ready for production for people who are interested. An update from the creator said that he improved the design since the video.

Speaking of cool tools, I like the little 4" chainsaw Mom got. It comes in a hard plastic case, has two 21v batteries, 1 charger, 2 chains, the tool to tighten the chains, & gloves. I tried to share the image but it kept saying post parsing error.
But it looks like this set with the case from this set.
1638416075159.png
Took 10 minutes for the damn image to load in there... Wouldn't let me stop it from loading either. I tried to refresh the page and it didn't work. LOL.

Another thing to think about is your table saw setup. Like the miter saw wings, a table saw stand is also a game changer. Working at a comfortable height is gonna be safer as well as give you more consistent quality cuts.

Like many guys out there I used to set my saw on the ground for years. Not really a big deal since 99% of what I was cutting was a 4’ piece of laminate. Then one day I walked into a job site and 3 Mexicans were sitting on paint buckets and eating lunch while using a wooden wire spool for a table. The spool was the perfect size and height to set my table saw on so I grabbed the spool and used that thing for a couple years. Man how nice it was to not have to lift my fat ass up and down an extra hundred times a day. It would slightly wobble a little but still better than setting my saw on the ground. Then one day I had a buddy give me an old Rousseau table saw stand he got from a customer. Of course my saw didn’t fit into that specific stand but I could instantly tell that the stand was a game changer so I dropped the $300 and ordered one for myself. Couple modifications later and the one in the pics is what I’m rollin with now. I added the router lift and also bought the out feed table. Currently I exclusively do LVP so I don’t hardly use the table saw much but it sure is nice when I have to rip down a reducer or to route dados, splines and make stair noses or other transitions. Just imagine modifying stair nose while kneeling on a wet lawn or some broken up janky driveway. Now think about doing that while standing up and working at a comfortable height while using feather boards and a push stick.

Game changer!

View attachment 13493View attachment 13492View attachment 13491View attachment 13494
In the second image, what do you use the foot switch for..... The vac?

Internet is really crappy right now so pics aren't loading. I'll have to try again after midnight to see if it's any better. It's during "peak" hours so even when I'm not over bandwidth limit we get throttled. So, we are double throttled right now.

Pics I have seen in the past of Arizona look a lot like New Mexico/Albuquerque area. We don't have stucco homes around here. Only commercial buildings are ever in stucco from what I've seen.

Heated up dinner for mom and washed two packs of celery she got, put them in a ziplock bag (with it open to let it breathe) and got her some pieces since she wanted to snack. The doctor mentioned celery with peanutbutter or cheese as a good snack. He mentioned bleu cheese though. Yuck.

Never did go for my walk. My fat keester didn't get out of this bed until 4pm.

I saw a prototype hammer that loads nails into it and lets you hammer them out- there's a youtube video (but I couldn't get the whole thing to load). There's a mailing list to get info when it is ready for production for people who are interested. An update from the creator said that he improved the design since the video.

Speaking of cool tools, I like the little 4" chainsaw Mom got. It comes in a hard plastic case, has two 21v batteries, 1 charger, 2 chains, the tool to tighten the chains, & gloves. I tried to share the image but it kept saying post parsing error.
But it looks like this set with the case from this set.
View attachment 13498
Took 10 minutes for the damn image to load in there... Wouldn't let me stop it from loading either. I tried to refresh the page and it didn't work. LOL.

I don't do any carpentry that would require that type of tool because I'm not a framer.
I think the guy is a fantastic engineer but I can't imagine anyone ever buying something like that. If someone did I think they'd still need to carry a second hammer.
Maybe instead of a small pack of nails, he designed it with a coil nail holder. 😁

Smart move Tom. I love my Milwaukee tools.
What gauge finish gun did you get?
Be careful with the Milwaukee tools, it’s an addiction… like crack 🤪

Got the 18g. It'll shoot up to 2 1/8 nails which it plenty for what I need it for.
I really wanted the 16g but it seems like everyone local didn't have one & I wanted it now.
I was about ready to throw my damn compressor in the river the other day. Also with my air finish nailer!!
So tired of dragging that thing out for 30' of Q round or something so small.

I was looking at the pamphlet that comes with new Milwaukee tools and was shocked to see how many they make. I can see how it would be addictive, they have nice stuff. Even their storage containers are really slick!

I love my gen 2 18 gauge Brad nailer.
Rumor has it, Santa is getting me the M12 23 gauge pin nailer 😎
4909E60D-B2D3-472C-BAD8-719CF23366D6.jpeg
. If you get a 16 gauge make sure it is the gen2 the first models weren’t as good.

Latest posts

Back